Morrissey lying down on the stage for extended periods...

King Leer

Leering since '97
When did Morrissey start doing this regularly? There are of course iconic shots during the Kill Uncle tour where he's sprawled over the monitors. But was it with Meat Is Murder on the '99 tour (when he would form a triangle with his hands) that it became a conscious pose during a song? It obviously became a key part of Pigsty on the Ringleader tour.

Is it the way he would listen to records as a child, perhaps?

When did Morrissey start doing this regularly? There are of course iconic shots during the Kill Uncle tour where he's sprawled over the monitors. But was it with Meat Is Murder on the '99 tour (when he would form a triangle with his hands) that it became a conscious pose during a song? It obviously became a key part of Pigsty on the Ringleader tour.

Is it the way he would listen to records as a child, perhaps?

I always thought it was a love heart he was forming with his hands.

Interesting theory though. : )

He used to do it in I Know It's Over on the QID tour in '86 when singing the 'mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head' bit. Would gradually pull his shirt over his head and end in the foetal position and just lie there sometimes motionless immersed in Johnny's splendid guitar work.

He used to do it in I Know It's Over on the QID tour in '86 when singing the 'mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head' bit. Would gradually pull his shirt over his head and end in the foetal position and just lie there sometimes motionless immersed in Johnny's splendid guitar work.

Aww. :tears: Completely sensationalist, but still.

I can only imagine what it feels like to lay there and have the music wash over you, and coarse through your veins like that. It must feel heavenly.

And that's a great stretch for the lower back, too :thumb:

Maybe that's the earliest consistent example, then. I don't recall much of it during the mid-90s (Arsenal through Maladjusted tours). So Pigsty would be the first solo song with that as part of the "performance" (Morrissey's favourite word)?

I don't know why he does it but it's pretty sexy.:D

Maybe that's the earliest consistent example, then. I don't recall much of it during the mid-90s (Arsenal through Maladjusted tours). So Pigsty would be the first solo song with that as part of the "performance" (Morrissey's favourite word)?

Morrissey also lies down at the end of How Soon Is Now?.

Hopefully Mel will reply this and give us more info.

That sounds beautiful. :)

He used to do it in I Know It's Over on the QID tour in '86 when singing the 'mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head' bit. Would gradually pull his shirt over his head .

i wonder abou that too looking back at older footage he didnt do that in 95 for example orin 97... and in 91 in rather seems that he does a handstand or laying down very quickly
than laying there motionless for longer , his legs drapped up on the drum riser like he does the last years...

Last edited by a moderator:
oh another one

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the above. I've noticed he always lies down before a gonging, without fail.

Back
Top Bottom