"Morrissey: L'insoumis" by Nicolas Sauvage released Feb. 28, 2022

full

Amazon description:

Morrissey: L'insoumis Paperback – February 28, 2022
French Edition by Nicolas Sauvage (Author)
  • Publisher ‏ : ‎ CAMION BLANC (February 28, 2022)
  • Language ‏ : ‎ French
  • Paperback ‏ : ‎ 624 pages
  • ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 2378483031
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-2378483036
  • Item Weight ‏ : ‎ 1.38 pounds

That translates as 'Morrissey: The Rebel' doesn't it?
A great 60s British comedy starring Tony Hancock!
It will be interesting to see how the title is translated into English if this book ever is. Literally, l'insoumis means the absentee or someone missing without permission - we would say someone who's gone AWOL. But, the Alain Delon film's title was translated into English as The Unvanquished, which gives a very different meaning.

I see that the photo with Morrissey resting on the Zodiac was used in Les Inrockuptibles magazine in April 1994 for a review of Vauxhall & I and that Renaud Monfourny took a photo of Morrissey outside the Hop Pole in Pitfield Street, Shoreditch, in the same session in 1993. The Lions Amateur Boxing Club is in this vicinity, with the Classic Car Club behind it, so I assume the car was parked there at the time of the photo session.

It will be interesting to see how the title is translated into English if this book ever is. Literally, l'insoumis means the absentee or someone missing without permission - we would say someone who's gone AWOL. But, the Alain Delon film's title was translated into English as The Unvanquished, which gives a very different meaning.
L'insoumis is a word used most commonly to refer to someone who is rebellious and 'goes against the grain.' Your literal translations don't apply in this context, since they only make sense in a military scenario.

I also like several songs of Fever, but it is obvious that my favorite and only singer is Moz, but I love the Smiths and Johnny is the 2nd important part of the group so I do not lie, I like Johnny but as a guitarist and musician, although I recognize an evolution in the vocalization of Marr, but 1st is Moz!!!!!!⁸
Back in the 80's I listened mainly to The Cure and The Smiths and New Order. I heard other music like The Jam, Depeche Mode etc. but by far my main listening were The Cure and The Smiths. As I got older I realised there was so much more out there: Pixies, Blancmange, Siouxsie, Kate Bush, Joy Division, Suede, PJ Harvey, Gary Numan, not to mention some great soundtracks. So Moz's voice is my favourite but it's not the only voice.

L'insoumis is a word used most commonly to refer to someone who is rebellious and 'goes against the grain.' Your literal translations don't apply in this context, since they only make sense in a military scenario.
I agree that the AWOL definition is military. The link with the Alain Delon movie was, however, made by Morrissey himself. I notice that the fragrance of the same same, dedicated by Lalique to its founder, Rene, was conceived for the charismatic, elegant and authentic individual who does not follow trends but creates them ... a dreamer and modern day adventurer. My main point was that it will be interesting to see the actual title if the book ever appears in English.

Great cover photo of Morrissey by Renaud Monfourny - also used for the Bona Drag album poster. Car by Ford of Britain.
It's a Pontiac. A classic American car, like California's Son, a classic American who plays basketball, surfs, eats potato tacos, veggie pizza, pasta, root beer, coffee..etc. There is no such thing as "Ford of Britin". Ford would never have the word "Britin" associated with it. Stop disrespecting California Son and his family. This is the same car California Dad bought when they emigrated from the Republic of Ireland to Moz Angeles. Stop trying to make everything foreign about a dude that is more Ameican than apple pie. You people are so duped and lost.

I also like several songs of Fever, but it is obvious that my favorite and only singer is Moz, but I love the Smiths and Johnny is the 2nd important part of the group so I do not lie, I like Johnny but as a guitarist and musician, although I recognize an evolution in the vocalization of Marr, but 1st is Moz!!!!!!⁸
We’ve got it.

Back in the 80's I listened mainly to The Cure and The Smiths and New Order. I heard other music like The Jam, Depeche Mode etc. but by far my main listening were The Cure and The Smiths. As I got older I realised there was so much more out there: Pixies, Blancmange, Siouxsie, Kate Bush, Joy Division, Suede, PJ Harvey, Gary Numan, not to mention some great soundtracks. So Moz's voice is my favourite but it's not the only voice.
Siouxsie YES Suede YES Joy Division YES Kate Bush YES..

Blancmange?

I agree he is but one voice.
I think the thing that separates M is the same thing that separated Lennon or Bowie
They are more than just music people. Rightly or wrongly they are symbols
I think Morrissey will be considered next in line to Bowie- I actually prefer M. as he is closer to home and more human.

Scott Walker and Billy Mackenzie can out sing Morrissey, lots can
but M is more than just s singing voice . he has the words and h stands for something ,

But you know, I am a fan. So, what I say about M, some my say about Liam G. The difference is I am correct

what is this book actually about?

Last edited:
It's a Pontiac. A classic American car, like California's Son, a classic American who plays basketball, surfs, eats potato tacos, veggie pizza, pasta, root beer, coffee..etc. There is no such thing as "Ford of Britin". Ford would never have the word "Britin" associated with it. Stop disrespecting California Son and his family. This is the same car California Dad bought when they emigrated from the Republic of Ireland to Moz Angeles. Stop trying to make everything foreign about a dude that is more Ameican than apple pie. You people are so duped and lost.
I quite like your alternative history. I'm hoping you are going to tell me that Morrissey is related to James Dean and has never even heard of Johnny Marr.

I've just noticed in The Severed Alliance that Johnny Marr bought a Zodiac car around the time he bought a large house in Bowdon (about 1985). Hmm, interesting!?

Read 77 pages of this last night before bed. Book moves along at a good pace. Well researched and just enough detail to keep it interesting without veering into uber-fan tedium.

The Smiths are about to release Hand in Glove. I wonder what delights will unfold on page 78? I’ll let you know tomorrow (but only if you’re really interested).

Read 77 pages of this last night before bed. Book moves along at a good pace. Well researched and just enough detail to keep it interesting without veering into uber-fan tedium.

The Smiths are about to release Hand in Glove. I wonder what delights will unfold on page 78? I’ll let you know tomorrow (but only if you’re really interested).

Any new info? Did they do new interviews or is it based on old articles and books?

Any new info? Did they do new interviews or is it based on old articles and books?
No, nothing new, no interviews etc. All very much cobbled together from articles and books. But it is a good read.
First chapter chronicles the evolution of the British music scene, tied in with the story of Moz’s youth. So you can easily map his favourites and influences, and get a real picture of him on the periphery of the Manchester music scene leading up to and after the infamous Sex Pistols gig. Again, nothing new at all, but it’s nicely put together.

No, nothing new, no interviews etc. All very much cobbled together from articles and books. But it is a good read.
First chapter chronicles the evolution of the British music scene, tied in with the story of Moz’s youth. So you can easily map his favourites and influences, and get a real picture of him on the periphery of the Manchester music scene leading up to and after the infamous Sex Pistols gig. Again, nothing new at all, but it’s nicely put together.

Thanks! I appreciate a more straightforward narrative blending of all the different sources.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom