Morrissey, Kanye and R Kelly - separating art from artist - Noisey

What It Really Means to Separate the Art from the Artist - Noisey
By Fergal Kinney

We spoke to Kanye, Brand New, R Kelly and Morrissey fans about that feeling when your fave becomes problematic.

Excerpt:

What do you do when a musician you love becomes problematic; when major transgressions – both alleged and proven – leave you trying to separate the art from the artist? Between Morrissey bigging up Tommy Robinson, Kanye’s pre-yetweets in support of Trump and the #MeToo movement empowering survivors to come forward with historic abuse allegations against other artists, fans have had to face up to uncomfortable truths about the heroes they once placed on a pedestal and plastered across their walls.

Included:
Iain Hamilton, 48, Glasgow – Morrissey fan
Tom Fisher, 18, Gloucestershire – Morrissey fan

Last edited by a moderator:
i guess it's really too hard and painful for an adult human being having to deal with mixed emotions when experiencing that "feeling when your fave becomes problematic".

Last edited by a moderator:
Or perhaps it's just adult human beings having a moral compass that is stronger than their adulation for and loyalty to a pop singer? Nothing hard and painful about it.

Last edited:
The fact an artist who simply supported Brexit & made comments on concern for immigration and animal rights etc is listed here against a paedo is actually pretty f***ing disgusting and highlights how mad this world is. To think some of these people could grow into tomorrow's politicians is frightening.... ..!!

Or perhaps it's just adult human beings having a moral compass that is stronger than their adulation for and loyalty to a pop singer? Nothing hard and painful about it.

Apparently the hard and painful part is getting the f*** over yourself...

Where do all these DHs who write these stupid articles come from? Art school?
You have to be a true and total dork to worry about if the the guy who made a cd you bought is
'problematic'.:rolleyes:
A total loser.:straightface:

An 18 year old Morrissey fan who has been a fan for 4 / 5 years gets interviewed.... is that the best the author could do as a pro supporter?

Fergal didn't seem to get a huge response to his post here asking for people to contribute to this article some weeks ago here did he!?
Iain and Tom, please step forward and be recognised :)
FWD.

I reckon Uncle Steve's dream of finally becoming a black American is coming true m8 inn nn n n it! I reckon his next lil' Sammy Supreme photo shoot will be with Flavor Flav m8! I reckon maybe John Maher will teach Uncle Steve to play basketball at his backyard basketball court at his home in Portland, Oregon to make it more authentic inn nn nn n n n it.

I reckon Uncle Steve's dream of finally becoming a black American is coming true m8 inn nn n n it! I reckon his next lil' Sammy Supreme photo shoot will be with Flavor Flav m8! I reckon maybe John Maher will teach Uncle Steve to play basketball at his backyard basketball court at his home in Portland, Oregon to make it more authentic inn nn nn n n n it.

5trxhd.jpg

Iain, I commend you on your action and the timing of that action. You walked away when it felt right for you to do so and not due to peer or other pressures. You should have no regrets. You will be largely chided in this forum as someone who stayed too long or as someone who has abandoned Morrissey. You’ll know only too well the hate that breeds here.

I hope, in time, that you can once again listen to The Smiths (to side line the band due to the views, now spouted by one member, is, it seems to me, unfair on the other 3 members of the band) although I think I understand the rawness of feeling and the sense of loss. I, like you, and so many others were never apologists for his actions we were able, in a good deal of circumstances, to offer examples of why he may have said ‘this’ or ‘that’. The latest right-wing rants, whether racist or not, could not, for me, be justified as anything other than right-wing. If it is of any comfort you have not been and you are not alone. 4 weeks after tickets went on sale for Castleford they are still available. You, I and many others would have bought our tickets within the opening seconds of them going on sale. I know no-one who is going to Castleford or Edinburgh – this is a perfect reflection of how just how badly Morrissey’s actions/beliefs have affected true fans like yourself. If the dates do sell-out many, many die-hard fans will not be in attendance. I wish you well.

Iain, I commend you on your action and the timing of that action. You walked away when it felt right for you to do so and not due to peer or other pressures. You should have no regrets. You will be largely chided in this forum as someone who stayed too long or as someone who has abandoned Morrissey. You’ll know only too well the hate that breeds here.

I hope, in time, that you can once again listen to The Smiths (to side line the band due to the views, now spouted by one member, is, it seems to me, unfair on the other 3 members of the band) although I think I understand the rawness of feeling and the sense of loss. I, like you, and so many others were never apologists for his actions we were able, in a good deal of circumstances, to offer examples of why he may have said ‘this’ or ‘that’. The latest right-wing rants, whether racist or not, could not, for me, be justified as anything other than right-wing. If it is of any comfort you have not been and you are not alone. 4 weeks after tickets went on sale for Castleford they are still available. You, I and many others would have bought our tickets within the opening seconds of them going on sale. I know no-one who is going to Castleford or Edinburgh – this is a perfect reflection of how just how badly Morrissey’s actions/beliefs have affected true fans like yourself. If the dates do sell-out many, many die-hard fans will not be in attendance. I wish you well.
Castleford won't sell out. That's because he isn't even playing there :thumb:

How can you conflate Morrissey and Kanye West's unpalatable comments and views with R Kelly's vile alleged abuse? Sticks and stones and all that....

Well, the man himself conflates eating meat with paedophilia, conflates the murder of children with McDonald's, etc.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom