Morrissey John Peel session Nineteen eighty hate

butley

Didn't Morrissey record a John Peel session around the time of the release of Viva Hate? Anybody have any details?

He was scheduled to, but he had some sort of disagreement with the engineer of the session and stormed off. Whether or not he actually laid down any tracks has been a debate/fantasy among fans for nearly 25 years... Not sure if we'll ever know for sure.

The backing band was Reilly, Street, and Paresi and, according to Goddard, tapes supposedly exist in some form. Here's an excerpt from p. 464 of the Mozipedia (the "Viva Hate" entry):

Beyond the underlying friction between Street and Reilly, morale was further shaken when the Viva Hate group took a break to the BBC Studios in Maida Vale, London to record Morrissey's debut solo radio session for John Peel. 'A very sad experience,' recalls Street. 'The BBC engineers had a bad attitude. They were treating me like I was just a bass player so when I was trying to explain that I was the songwriter and producer they just ignored me. Morrissey was unhappy. Vini was in another one of his moods. So it was a f***ing nightmare, basically.'

The session was never finished nor broadcast, though prior to his death Peel informed this author that his producer, the late John Walters, retained a copy of the tapes. The running order remains unconfirmed though Paresi is sure that 'Suedehead' and 'Margaret on the Guillotine' were among those attempted. 'The saddest thing about the whole Peel fiasco is that it had a massive impact on Morrissey in terms of thinking whether he could play live with us as a group,' adds Paresi. 'That was a huge disappointment for me, personally, but another blow to [Morrissey's] confidence before the album was even finished.'

Oh right..I remember reading this now..So I guess the question is what happened to John Walters collection when he passed and how much does the person in possession want for the masters.

I remember this conversation being brought up once before - didn't someone who knew add that "Disappointed" was one of the four songs? I'm trying to remember the one remaining song. I feel like it was probably "Sister I'm A Poet."

I think personally the tapes have been wiped by the BBC. Otherwise they probably would have been found and leaked by now. Usually things that were never broadcast by the BBC were wiped in those days. They are the holy grail of Morrissey though, obviously apart from Wolverhampton 1988, which we know exists and there are a few copies out there and it STILL hasn't been leaked. Let's just wait until the collectors are skint or when Morrissey pops his clogs and his rarities all get sold off because lets face it, it's not gonna get released officially.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember this conversation being brought up once before - didn't someone who knew add that "Disappointed" was one of the four songs? I'm trying to remember the one remaining song. I feel like it was probably "Sister I'm A Poet."

It was...

Well then. It probably would've been a pretty cool session to hear if it would've worked out right. Who knows, the confidence of doing a live radio session with this group might've completely re-wrote the Morrissey-solo history.

Doubt Vini would have stayed with Morrissey for long anyway. Even Street didn't want to do much with Morrissey afterwards.

Doubt Vini would have stayed with Morrissey for long anyway. Even Street didn't want to do much with Morrissey afterwards.

And you base that statement on what? Certainly not the fact that Reilly tried to convince Morrissey to ditch Street as a songwriter and record an album of songs penned by him or the fact that Street continued to write, produce, and play bass and keyboards on Morrissey releases in the following year.

The entire group was clearly excited enough about the prospect of playing live with Morrissey..
Playing live changes the game. When it works out, it's a fulfilling experience and gives you the drive to keep a group together longer, despite creative differences in the studio.

And you base that statement on what? Certainly not the fact that Reilly tried to convince Morrissey to ditch Street as a songwriter and record an album of songs penned by him or the fact that Street continued to write, produce, and play bass and keyboards on Morrissey releases in the following year.

If Street are Morrissey were so close...why aren't they still songwriting partners? Something must have happened. Don't you think about it sometimes?

If Street are Morrissey were so close...why aren't they still songwriting partners? Something must have happened. Don't you think about it sometimes?

They're not still songwriting partners because Morrissey wanted to go in a different direction. That, and this failed Peel session put a damper on his confidence that he could play live with this group, which, as I mentioned before, is a major part of keeping a group of musicians together - for the studio and live.

Yeah...something did happen. Your boy Morrissey decided to dick Street out of the money he was owed from Interesting Drug.

I can kind of see where that might sour a professional relationship...

Yeah...something did happen. Your boy Morrissey decided to dick Street out of the money he was owed from Interesting Drug.

I can kind of see where that might sour a professional relationship...

Ah, I see...As always boils down to money with Morrissey. I bet the remastering of Viva Hate was a bit awkward for them both.

Ah, I see...As always boils down to money with Morrissey. I bet the remastering of Viva Hate was a bit awkward for them both.

Well, a lot of things in life boil down to money, especially regarding a professional scenario. Morrissey is not to be blamed for how the world works. The only difference is that with Morrissey there seems to be a lot of loose ends and unresolved deals where the finances are concerned.

Back
Top Bottom