Morrissey items for sale - query on value

Mozzerbird

Hi there,
I've been a massive fan of Morrissey for many years and collected items, mostly early-mid 90's period for many years. I have started selling on ebay (Mozzerbird) and if you're on Flickr you can view some of the collection here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/52247969@N00/sets/72157650440941205

What I'm wondering about is what to charge correctly for items. I want to be fair for genuine fans but also not charge too low. I know the value of many things. I have items such as 'There is a Light..' promo stand, 90's fanzines, books that are out of print. I appreciate that the items are not new but they have been kept in very good condition. I'd really appreciate knowing where I could find out what to charge. thank you.

Honestly, if you are selling on eBay, then it's best just to start every auction at 99p. The biggest mistake people do when selling on eBay is putting the start price at the minimum amount they want back for their item. So if you were to put an album up for, say. £19.99, i doubt anyone would even bid on it, the high price puts people off right away. But if you put the same album up for 99p, you will almost certainly get more than £19.99, if the item is genuinely worth it.
I buy a lot of Morrissey related items from eBay and have done for about ten years now and myself, and anyone else that sells a lot of Morrissey items pretty much always start their auctions at 99p. If it is a particularly rare or sentimental item then you could always put a reserve price on it, meaning that the item can't sell for less than the reserve price you decide. I hope that helps a bit :)

P.S. I would also search for other listings on the same item. If there are a lot of copies for sale of a particular record or book, then you know it's not that rare and you can kind of make an average price from what other people are selling it for.

Last edited:
I would NEVER start an auction at 99p. Go to popsike.com and find your items, then find the average price that a certain item goes for and voila, that is the price you wanna get for your item. I'd start the price there. If you start an auction too low you'll screw yourself outta serious coin. Unless its a mega rare item, all the cheapskates on eBay will ruin your day.

The There Is A Light stand is nice - bit roughed up on the backside, but still a cool item and worth around $75 even in it's present condition...... The Girlfriend In A Coma grey sleeve is worth $75-$100 if it's the 12" single because its a misprint due to the fact that it was supposed to have a green image, NOT grey (if it's a 7" then the value is $5-$15 because the 7" was pressed with a grey image- I can't tell the size of the record from the photos).......the Peepholism soft cover book should fetch around $100 if it's in near mint condition.......the Your Arsenal tour shirt should fetch around $50-$100 depending on condition.......I hate to break it to you but the signature on that Hatful Of Hollow LP is 100% bogus, so it's basically worthless.......The More You Ignore Me 12" with poster should fetch $30 on a good day........the photo with 12 various Smiths 7" has some rare items, Australian yellow sleeve Stop Me If You Think should net around $50++, USA blue sleeve Stop Me If You Think is around $30++, the 1992 7" reissues for How Soon Is Now and There Is A Light should each fetch around $50, the German Some Girls Are Bigger 7" is around $30 - $50.....the various fanzines, magazines, and books will go for around $5 each, with the fanzines fetching slightly more......the scrap of shirt will never sell as you probably have no way of proving its authenticity, although I'm curious to know what gig it was from......the factory pressed bootleg, Eldorado may fetch $20 if your lucky as will the Japanese Charming Man......the other CDs are really common and more or less worthless. Group them all together and sell as a lot and MAYBE you'd get $30.

Again, look at popsike.com and draw your own conclusions. I put the values in USD, fyi. Good luck!

Yeah, unless you plan to lose money on an item, not get what you wished for, or just swooped on. I'd suggest starting an auction at 99c.

I think what it is, and i have bought a lot of stuff from eBay, that you kind of need people to get into a bidding war as it were.
I think people are put off when they see a high start price, but once people start bidding they get into that frame of mind where they HAVE to win the item.
I am just about to list a lot of my doubles on eBay, and will be putting links on this forum, but i have always thought that starting at 99p is the best way to get people interested, and that's the main thing - get people bidding - and once they are, they are kinda hooked and that's how you get the highest price. Well, that's how i see it anyway. For anyone interested i will be listing a load of Morrissey / Smiths stuff in the next week or so. My user name is: tobietera.
I have bought and traded a lot of stuff from people on this forum, and have lots of doubles that i would like to go to genuine fans rather than people that are going to sell it on :)

Last edited:
I would NEVER start an auction at 99p. Go to popsike.com and find your items, then find the average price that a certain item goes for and voila, that is the price you wanna get for your item. I'd start the price there. If you start an auction too low you'll screw yourself outta serious coin. Unless its a mega rare item, all the cheapskates on eBay will ruin your day.

I see what you are saying, but from what i see, and i do buy a hell of a lot of stuff from eBay, i think putting a high start price puts people off, which is why i suggested maybe putting as reserve price if you are worried about losing out. Most of the people i buy from on eBay and quite a few of them are from this forum, start their auctions at 99p. But you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Good luck, i will be looking out for your auctions :)

I agree with Tera. I mean, it's possible that if you list an item at 99 cents (or whatever currency), you could get much lower of a sale price than you are hoping for. But I see the same thing happen that Tera mentioned. You'll see an item that is maybe worth around $30 and they start the bidding at $30. No one wants to start bidding at the price that they think should be the final price, so often those items never get any bids. Then a week later, the same item is listed with a very low starting bid and you see it sell for $40 or something when the previous one went untouched at $30 (or maybe just got that one bid for $30). With the low starting price, you get people bidding or at least watching the item and having interest in it.

Back
Top Bottom