Morrissey Central "MORRISSEY IS PLAYED ON THE RADIO:" (December 7, 2022)

MORRISSEY IS PLAYED ON THE RADIO:

0-7_mihfqc.jpg

THOUSANDS CHOKE TO DEATH, WORLD WAR LIKELY.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
And in a way, that's what's great about Morrissey. He will go down the loony lane undeterred. It's Sunset Boulevard, Howard Hughes, and the last years of Kerouac; Dodwell as his Boswell, with his idiot nephew giving his legacy a puerile alt-right Pepe the Frog sheen, like Elisabeth Nietzsche taking advantage of her brother's incapacitation to edit his works with an anti-Semitic bent. It's really the only way it could've gone for Morrissey. He's always followed his eccentric instincts, even when they're bad. It's what separates him from more palatable artists like Elton John.
If only he was just being eccentric. I thought eccentrics were odd but harmless types. His cold, careerist response to the Paris terrorist attacks seem more than eccentric IMO.

And in a way, that's what's great about Morrissey. He will go down the loony lane undeterred. It's Sunset Boulevard, Howard Hughes, and the last years of Kerouac; Dodwell as his Boswell, with his idiot nephew giving his legacy a puerile alt-right Pepe the Frog sheen, like Elisabeth Nietzsche taking advantage of her brother's incapacitation to edit his works with an anti-Semitic bent. It's really the only way it could've gone for Morrissey. He's always followed his eccentric instincts, even when they're bad. It's what separates him from more palatable artists like Elton John.
"Dodwell as his Boswell" is my new favourite phrase, love it!

I thought eccentrics were odd but harmless types. His cold, careerist response to the Paris terrorist attacks seem more than eccentric IMO.

That's true, but his request there was anything but shrewd and calculating. It was absurd and utterly tasteless. A good Machiavellian would be more savvy, and know when to show restraint. Morrissey is blind to all that. "By my very presence alone, my time is Now." You could almost make one of those online quote quizzes: Who said it—Morrissey or Norma Desmond?

nearly all his LPs have records played on the radio at some point. Its a real "me against the world" myth that he is never played on the radio. could be argued it was the radio and NME that made him a star.
people actually fall for shit lies over and over . LOL
Correct. Playlists on Irish alt-indie radio station 8Radio include a Morrissey song nearly every single day, and more often than Smiths songs are spun - https://onlineradiobox.com/ie/8radio/playlist/2?cs=ie.8radio

It does seem that stations are responding to requests sent in, which makes me wonder if any record company info is getting to them at all? What's the usual arrangement? Or does it depend on territories, where the single is officially released and so on?

Tom Dunne has just aired RWA again tonight, and nominated it his song of the day.
Both shows, from last night and tonight, can be listened back to at https://www.newstalk.com/listen-back
Just choose the date, either 7 0r 8 Dec, and the Tom Dunne show, and then go to 37 minutes in for yesterday, and 38 minutes today.

Tom's the amiable lead singer with Something Happens, who were tipped for great things from the late 80s until life got in the way. But they're still popular and put on a show or two a year.

Unlike other musical acts. For Morrissey, I think most by now know what length of set they are paying for. He’s not promising anyone a long set.
He also previously explained somewhere that his voice, the way he sings, seriously suffers if he goes on for much over the hour.

Yeah, this is exactly it. I remember a time not that long ago (e.g. MEN in August 2016) when he could sell out arenas with little effort. Flash forward to Leeds First Direct Arena in 2018, and there was many an empty seat up in the stalls.
Social and regulatory conditions and attitudes have also changed a lot in the meantime. There are probably several reasons why things may be different now.

But why would you think he would? I don’t think he would choose the present circumstances that he find himself in.

Well that comes back to do the rest matter? As we both agree from a business standpoint, of course. But will Morrissey be remembered
for his popularity with the general public, the masses? Or will he be remembered as an unique and complex artist, with a career of highs and lows, and a very devoted following?

There's a change in the wind, and a split in the road
You can do what's right or you can do what you are told
And the prize of the victory will belong to the bold
For these are the days of decision
Yes, these are the days of decision -

Days of Decision, Phil Ochs cover by Morrissey, California Son

Everything

Aren't you the guy who patronised a load of Morrissey fans on a Morrissey fan site by explaining that "Rebels Without Applause" was a play on words of the James Dean film "Rebels Without A Cause", as if a load of die hard Morrissey fans wouldn't get that. Now THAT was patronising.

Aren't you the guy who patronised a load of Morrissey fans on a Morrissey fan site by explaining that "Rebels Without Applause" was a play on words of the James Dean film "Rebels Without A Cause", as if a load of die hard Morrissey fans wouldn't get that. Now THAT was patronising.
No, then I think you must mix me up with someone else

I know you were joking, but just posting here for good measure.
That is a reply to one user, so no, not ‘a load’, as you wrote. It’s not really more lame than Lucky Lisp or HKIMN. I doubt it would have been considered lame if it was from e.g. the 80’s. It’s just that many really see everything with modern Moz in a bad light

It's a wordplay (play-on-words) on the famous James Dean movie "Rebels Without A Cause", so it's a quite clever title actually.
Wouldn't say clever. Just a standard bit of wordplay.

Hardly up there with Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom