Morrissey Central "MORRISSEY IS PLAYED ON THE RADIO:" (December 7, 2022)

MORRISSEY IS PLAYED ON THE RADIO:

0-7_mihfqc.jpg

THOUSANDS CHOKE TO DEATH, WORLD WAR LIKELY.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes we’re conditioned to expect a support act. So it’s not surprising M does the opposite.

He loves having a band, but if he could do away with that, he probably would, end up like Shirley Bassey, just him and the lights and the mic.

Conditioned? That makes it sound like we're being brain washed.

When people are paying decent money (£65 for a one hour set is a lot of money to some people), they deserve to get good value for that money. Value for money is subjective, yes, but I'm not sure a one hour set, half of it not exactly his best material from an album that many people wouldn't have listened to because it didn't receive airplay because it just wasn't that good, is good value for money.

If the title is so lame and the song is so badly produced, why use so much energy on it? There must be so many masochistic fans on this so called fan page. I don’t understand the point of going so far as to making a user profile just to spread negativity. I suspect most of those profiles are just Uncle Skinny in disguise

If the title is so lame and the song is so badly produced, why use so much energy on it? There must be so many masochistic fans on this so called fan page. I don’t understand the point of going so far as to making a user profile just to spread negativity. I suspect most of those profiles are just Uncle Skinny in disguise

Almost every Morrissey fan loves and hates Moz at the same time. He thrives on it.

Definitely. BBC Radio 2 and Radio 6 played singles from Low in High School. It just isn't true that he doesn't receive airplay when he releases decent music (which is the key here, as Dog On a Chain didn't receive much airplay because it was rubbish).

I actually think Rebels is a good song, it's just clearly been rushed through production.
as you know what you are talking about I take it you aren't from the MozAngelese crew. LOL

Conditioned? That makes it sound like we're being brain washed.
Didn’t mean that. But call it what you want.
When people are paying decent money (£65 for a one hour set is a lot of money to some people), they deserve to get good value for that money. Value for money is subjective, yes, but I'm not sure a one hour set, half of it not exactly his best material from an album that many people wouldn't have listened to because it didn't receive airplay because it just wasn't that good, is good value for money.

And yet, time and time again, fans come back for that experience of exhilarating disappointment. Lol.

So he’s doing something right.

A lot of people aren't that eager, I picked up one of the best seats on the day of the show for half the price.

Vince eager or not. The fans come back for more. Great that you got a ticket, no reason to complain as far as I can see.

And yet, time and time again, fans come back for that experience of exhilarating disappointment. Lol.

*some of us*.... come back like crack addicts, but not expecting value for money. The rest? not so much.

He's certainly doing something right to attract us, the die hards.

However, in order to secure recording contracts and sell out shows, he also needs to reach people who haven't seen him before, who might be reluctant to do so. What with him playing smaller venues for shorter tours, which don't sell out any more, it would seem he's not attracting first timers (as well as long-standing fans) quite like he used to. When he plays one hour sets, releases mediocre music (as well as alienating vast swathes of people with his old man ramblings) it's no surprise that those tours aren't selling out, especially when tickets cost £65.

It’s weird, I could have sworn I had boxes of press clippings where Moz is the cover star, and whole shoeboxes full of CDs featuring radio sessions and live gigs.

He’s an outsider now because he’s deliberately decided to be an outsider.

*some of us*.... come back like crack addicts, but not expecting value for money. The rest? not so much.
Yeah, this is exactly it. I remember a time not that long ago (e.g. MEN in August 2016) when he could sell out arenas with little effort. Flash forward to Leeds First Direct Arena in 2018, and there was many an empty seat up in the stalls.

Do the rest matter? yes, no, yes, maybe.

I don’t think of Morrissey in terms of value for money and expectations, that’s just weird.

If he wants to get record deals and sell said records, the rest do indeed matter.

Sure I don’t disagree, we could have a whole thread on that topic. There’s many points of view that can be taken.

Yeah, this is exactly it. I remember a time not that long ago (e.g. MEN in August 2016) when he could sell out arenas with little effort. Flash forward to Leeds First Direct Arena in 2018, and there was many an empty seat up in the stalls.

But I believe he’s played more intimate venues
this time around. And fans lined up around the block, some even camping out at one show.

did he really decide though ?
I'm not sure he decided to be a pariah as such, but he certainly chose to say the many things he has done over the last 5 years or so that led to a mass alienation of existing and potential fans. Whether he knew it would alienate people is another matter, but unfortunately for Morrissey, that is what happened.

Morrissey gets played in the fancy stores. A lot. A few months ago, I was in the dressing room at Bottega Veneta trying on some pieces from spring/summer '22 and "You Have Killed Me" came on. I was pretty happy about that. Then my sales person bought me some chocolates after ringing me up. Because thats what you get for spending $5k on two pieces of clothing: some shitty chocolate and a Morrissey song.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom