Morrissey is NOT racist

I'm having trouble defending this gaff to friends, lets admit it was a huge gaff, I wonder if he has many Chinese fans he must have a few.

Is anyone else bored with all this already? It won't be an issue tomorrow.
He's got a record to publicise, and a profile to raise. That's all it is.

P.

Morrissey doesn't need the excuse of having a record to promote to make a statement that will potentially offend a billion people.

I've been a big fan of Morrissey's for 17 years but I am beginning to get a bit exasperated with his apparent lack of intelligence.

Say a person was born to Chinese parents in Manchester, and was a shy, sensitive, animal-loving Morrissey fan their whole life, and found solace in his songs and identified with his lyrics, wouldn't you imagine they would be rather hurt that he got the feeling they and their parents were part of a subspecies? What an absurdly arrogant and outrageous thing for him to suggest. It shows gargantuan insensitivity and dunderheadedness, and truly gargantuan arrogance (which I don't think anybody, himself included, will dispute he has).

There is no possible apology for what Morrissey has said. He has allowed his deep emotional insecurity to completely obscure his rational judgement and intellect. There is no excuse for suggesting any human being is a member of a subspecies. As someone else has said, that has very sinister echoes of Nazism. Morrissey seems to have completely lost his marbles.

People are the same, Morrissey, whatever their parentage, whatever their nationality, whatever their culture. When we are born we are all the same. Nobody is part of a subspecies. Just because treatment of animals in China is barbaric, it does not mean Chinese people are somehow genetically inferior to you. These things are not innate, Morrissey they are part of a culture. It is to do with upbringing, not to do with genetic background. If you cannot distinguish such an obvious disparity (between prevailing culture on the one hand, and genetics on the other) you are hugely lacking in insight and intellectual capacity. You have let emotions blind you. Stop being stupid, it is a step backwards. You are dragging humanity back to the stone age with your unthinking emotional reaction as much as Chinese people are with their treatment of animals (which I condemn, obviously).

If you take a child and condition it to treat animals cruelly, to not empathise with them, then anyone could be made to treat animals in a barbaric way, regardless of their skin colour, nationality or physical appearance. Why should I have to spell this out? Morrissey's insanity beggars belief. The sheer stupidness of his comments, coming from a supposedly sensitive and intellectual person, flabbergasts me, and I can't believe it doesn't flabbergast everyone else here. Really, humanity needs to move on from tribalism, ignorance, prejudice and such things. Morrissey being a proponent of ignorance is really a shock. Like so many people as they get older, Morrissey is being more reactionary and right wing. Has he always had right-wing tendencies? Why didn't he like Maggie Thatcher then?

He can have no rationalisation for this. He is at fault, his worldview is inconsistent, he is being illogical and hypocritical. I'm sure he doesn't care though, he's too lazy to bother to want to get things right, he's too arrogant to care how insensitive he's been and how offensive. He is a moron, sorry, but life has obviously made him into one.

Last edited:
Morrissey is not racist. He's too intelligent to be racist. Unfortunately he's also too intelligent to be understood by most journalists. And poets. And the rest.

Morrissey is not racist. He's too intelligent to be racist. Unfortunately he's also too intelligent to be understood by most journalists. And poets. And the rest.

if he had even a speck of intelligence he would retract his statements.

think about it: say aliens arrived on earth, saw some of the barbaric things which are happening around the world, and on the basis that some humans were barbaric, decided that humanity as a whole was barbaric? would that be fair? would you be happy to be described as barbaric by those thoughtless aliens? would morrissey be happy with that appellation? morrissey, who is supposedly a sensitive person? he has obviously became a crotchety old bigot in his old age. he is a stupid ass.

there is no intelligence in what morrissey said, no thought, no understanding, no sensitivity, just vileness.

by the way, 95% of people in the UK eat animals, which are farmed and slaughtered on an industrial scale. say there was a nation somewhere which was entirely vegetarian - would they be justified in calling us all members of a subspecies? including those of use who are vegetarian? i take it morrissey himself would be delighted to be included in this indictment, and would have no problem with the fact that despite being a lifelong vegetarian, he was being attacked for the very thing he is so vehemently against? that would be fine, wouldn't it, morrissey? you'd go along with that wouldn't you, morrissey, because you have made such arbitrary, misinformed and dangerous generalisations yourself. morrissey you heinous, barbaric, animal-hating scum! what a villainous, despicable, bloodthirsty person you are! How can you slaughter those animals Morrissey, cruelly slitting their throats as they look up at you with pleading eyes? You subhuman monster!

the one thing we can say is that morrissey's comments show a lack of thought, a lack of rationality, a lack of intelligence. if he can make such an obvious and public lapse, are you really sure his supposed intelligence precludes him from being racist? perhaps his intelligence is taking a back seat, and his emotions are taking over?

Last edited:
You've been here since Jan 2009 and made 2 posts? WTF!
Anyway whatever Morrissey has said, it will definately make people buy his autobiography and buy his Bona Drag release ;)

What difference does it make?

Does it really truly matter if he made a racist comment or not?

Perhaps his comments have hurt people. Have you thought about that? Does it matter if people's feelings are hurt, or not? Having said that, does it matter if people are physically hurt, or not? Does it matter if I poke someone's eye out on the street? Does it truly matter?

camaud, I see that you are a new poster to the site and I may be jumping to conclusions, but I am guessing that you signed up to post that. All I can say is, thank you for taking the time to write up so eloquently what I am thinking.

I am completely disgusted at this latest gaff, and I'm beginning to think that if it walks and talks like a duck......

I've been a fan for 20 years and this weekend has been very difficult. I'm sick of defending his absurd and outrageous comments. At the heart of the issue, I think that he has totally lost touch with reality, what with living in hotels, throwing $700 shirts into the crowd at each concert, and ordering fans what they can and cannot buy ("don't by THAT reissue because I won't get any royalties!" buy THIS reissue instead!"). There was a report on this site lately that he spent hundreds of pounds on candles, ffs! WHO does that?!?! It's cloud cuckoo land behavior!

I'm also exasperated at the number of fans who are leaping to his defense yet AGAIN. I just can't. It's disgusting what he said, I am dismayed that so many people think that it is acceptable. I don't need to see a youtube video of a live animal being skinned alive to know that it is unacceptable, disgusting, inhumane and heartbreaking. But to pass comment on 1 billion people with such glib arrogance, I'm just dismayed that THAT is acceptable and defendable to so many.

Blaming the editor, or the writer of the piece, or the newspaper for publishing the comment, it's NOT ADDRESSING THE ISSUE!

Think for a moment - if it hadn't been Morrissey who said it, what if it was Mel Gibson, or Kanye West, or some other "bigmouth" - his career would be OVER, and we'd all be sitting here, debating what a big twat he was, saying he was awful, and so on and so on. But because he's Moz, oh no, it's somehow different? I'm very hurt about this and I think I need to take a break from spending money on his records/merch/etc for a while, while I figure out if I really want my money lining his Gucci pockets.

Until Morrissey is wearing a swastika singing "Hang The Jew", in his new version of Panic, he is not racist in my eyes

I've been a big fan of Morrissey's for 17 years but I am beginning to get a bit exasperated with his apparent lack of intelligence.

Say a person was born to Chinese parents in Manchester, and was a shy, sensitive, animal-loving Morrissey fan their whole life, and found solace in his songs and identified with his lyrics, wouldn't you imagine they would be rather hurt that he got the feeling they and their parents were part of a subspecies? What an absurdly arrogant and outrageous thing for him to suggest. It shows gargantuan insensitivity and dunderheadedness, and truly gargantuan arrogance (which I don't think anybody, himself included, will dispute he has).

There is no possible apology for what Morrissey has said. He has allowed his deep emotional insecurity to completely obscure his rational judgement and intellect. There is no excuse for suggesting any human being is a member of a subspecies. As someone else has said, that has very sinister echoes of Nazism. Morrissey seems to have completely lost his marbles.

People are the same, Morrissey, whatever their parentage, whatever their nationality, whatever their culture. When we are born we are all the same. Nobody is part of a subspecies. Just because treatment of animals in China is barbaric, it does not mean Chinese people are somehow genetically inferior to you. These things are not innate, Morrissey they are part of a culture. It is to do with upbringing, not to do with genetic background. If you cannot distinguish such an obvious disparity (between prevailing culture on the one hand, and genetics on the other) you are hugely lacking in insight and intellectual capacity. You have let emotions blind you. Stop being stupid, it is a step backwards. You are dragging humanity back to the stone age with your unthinking emotional reaction as much as Chinese people are with their treatment of animals (which I condemn, obviously).

If you take a child and condition it to treat animals cruelly, to not empathise with them, then anyone could be made to treat animals in a barbaric way, regardless of their skin colour, nationality or physical appearance. Why should I have to spell this out? Morrissey's insanity beggars belief. The sheer stupidness of his comments, coming from a supposedly sensitive and intellectual person, flabbergasts me, and I can't believe it doesn't flabbergast everyone else here. Really, humanity needs to move on from tribalism, ignorance, prejudice and such things. Morrissey being a proponent of ignorance is really a shock. Like so many people as they get older, Morrissey is being more reactionary and right wing. Has he always had right-wing tendencies? Why didn't he like Maggie Thatcher then?

He can have no rationalisation for this. He is at fault, his worldview is inconsistent, he is being illogical and hypocritical. I'm sure he doesn't care though, he's too lazy to bother to want to get things right, he's too arrogant to care how insensitive he's been and how offensive. He is a moron, sorry, but life has obviously made him into one.
Wow!What a philippic:rofl:However too much Rabelais in it.:lbf:"gargantuan and gargantuan..stop repeating yourself.

camaud, I see that you are a new poster to the site and I may be jumping to conclusions, but I am guessing that you signed up to post that. All I can say is, thank you for taking the time to write up so eloquently what I am thinking.

I am completely disgusted at this latest gaff, and I'm beginning to think that if it walks and talks like a duck......

I've been a fan for 20 years and this weekend has been very difficult. I'm sick of defending his absurd and outrageous comments. At the heart of the issue, I think that he has totally lost touch with reality, what with living in hotels, throwing $700 shirts into the crowd at each concert, and ordering fans what they can and cannot buy ("don't by THAT reissue because I won't get any royalties!" buy THIS reissue instead!"). There was a report on this site lately that he spent hundreds of pounds on candles, ffs! WHO does that?!?! It's cloud cuckoo land behavior!

I'm also exasperated at the number of fans who are leaping to his defense yet AGAIN. I just can't. It's disgusting what he said, I am dismayed that so many people think that it is acceptable. I don't need to see a youtube video of a live animal being skinned alive to know that it is unacceptable, disgusting, inhumane and heartbreaking. But to pass comment on 1 billion people with such glib arrogance, I'm just dismayed that THAT is acceptable and defendable to so many.

Blaming the editor, or the writer of the piece, or the newspaper for publishing the comment, it's NOT ADDRESSING THE ISSUE!

Think for a moment - if it hadn't been Morrissey who said it, what if it was Mel Gibson, or Kanye West, or some other "bigmouth" - his career would be OVER, and we'd all be sitting here, debating what a big twat he was, saying he was awful, and so on and so on. But because he's Moz, oh no, it's somehow different? I'm very hurt about this and I think I need to take a break from spending money on his records/merch/etc for a while, while I figure out if I really want my money lining his Gucci pockets.
Another idiotic,cliched speech,do you write them together with camaud the new poster?

Well he's been here since 2009, so hell knows where this character has been haha!

Perhaps his comments have hurt people. Have you thought about that? Does it matter if people's feelings are hurt, or not? Having said that, does it matter if people are physically hurt, or not? Does it matter if I poke someone's eye out on the street? Does it truly matter?

Despite what other people here have thought in the past, words are not swords that will make someone's eyes bleed.

Everyone has a different threshold for when their feelings will be hurt.

I'm sure the Chinese don't care...they're too busy becoming a super power than to care about whatever it is that Morrissey, or any artist, might have said.

Besides, we're talking about Morrissey.
Did anyone, except for a few handfuls of fans even read the article?
Probably not.

Last edited:
if he had even a speck of intelligence he would retract his statements.

think about it: say aliens arrived on earth, saw some of the barbaric things which are happening around the world, and on the basis that some humans were barbaric, decided that humanity as a whole was barbaric? would that be fair? would you be happy to be described as barbaric by those thoughtless aliens? would morrissey be happy with that appellation? morrissey, who is supposedly a sensitive person? he has obviously became a crotchety old bigot in his old age. he is a stupid ass.

there is no intelligence in what morrissey said, no thought, no understanding, no sensitivity, just vileness.

by the way, 95% of people in the UK eat animals, which are farmed and slaughtered on an industrial scale. say there was a nation somewhere which was entirely vegetarian - would they be justified in calling us all members of a subspecies? including those of use who are vegetarian? i take it morrissey himself would be delighted to be included in this indictment, and would have no problem with the fact that despite being a lifelong vegetarian, he was being attacked for the very thing he is so vehemently against? that would be fine, wouldn't it, morrissey? you'd go along with that wouldn't you, morrissey, because you have made such arbitrary, misinformed and dangerous generalisations yourself. morrissey you heinous, barbaric, animal-hating scum! what a villainous, despicable, bloodthirsty person you are! How can you slaughter those animals Morrissey, cruelly slitting their throats as they look up at you with pleading eyes? You subhuman monster!

the one thing we can say is that morrissey's comments show a lack of thought, a lack of rationality, a lack of intelligence. if he can make such an obvious and public lapse, are you really sure his supposed intelligence precludes him from being racist? perhaps his intelligence is taking a back seat, and his emotions are taking over?
Oh no,another"oration"this time with a sci-fi twist.Have you forgotten to take your meds?

if moz was racist he would have donated £28,000 to the BNP and not music against racism

yes he has made a few comments that get deemed racist by the P.C brigade, but dont we all make comments every now and then that could be deemed offensive by someone else

Tags
cathexis sure is tl;dr in here
Back
Top Bottom