Morrissey is no longer the Morrissey I once knew and loved

martynsolo

I have been listening to The Smiths and Morrissey for over 20 years, admittedly, with The Smiths it was quite late. I enjoy the songs from Morrissey's solo career, but ever since Southpaw Grammar I think that Morrissey's talent has begun to dry-up. I think his current musicians are too exotic. I loved the My Love Life years and whatnot, but since he has got these Latino musicians on board I haven't really been taken aback by Morrissey's music. I can point out some good songs from Quarry and perhaps one or two from Ringleaders and Swords, but I think that even these songs lack Morrissey's unique touch to transport me to another world. Now with this new album I am very disappointed. I have listened to Bullfighter, World Peace and Earth and I just don't get it.

He seems to fighting the music all the time. In fact, the music of these tracks sounds so amateurish. For some odd reason they lack intensity and they appear to be regurgitations of older songs. The Bullfighter song has no melody, and in fact the next track on my MP3 player is Reader Meet Author, which is a great song. Is Bullfighter supposed to be the new Bengali in Platforms (?), because Bengali has character and depth, Bullfighter just doesn't. It is light weight, flimsy, amateurish and would suit the intro to a Bond movie like Diamonds are forever or Goldeneye.

Morrissey is not singing like he should, with intensity and melancholly, although his tone of voice is nice on Bullfighter, he is, unfortunately, fighting against the music all the time. The same goes for World Peace. It all sounds so trite, the lyric I mean, and the instruments are just appaulling. Earth doesn't sound too bad in parts, but then Morrissey sings a few lines, and then there's a predictable instrumental piece, which is just boring and flavourless. The problem with these songs is that they lack Morrissey's previous genius, and the musicians need to work on the production of the songs. In my view, Morrissey needs new musicians. Now I know you cannot get Morrissey to pen songs like Swallow on My Neck and You're the One for me Fatty anymore (although I have Forgiven Jesus is perfect and very original), I feel that Morrissey can only write the odd good song now together with good production and melodies, but that his musicians and the production of his music often let's him down.

I want the old Morrissey back. I want intensity. I want My Love life and I want Say Billy Bud. I want Wide to Receive. I want Seasick Yet Still Docked. I even want Come Back to Camden.

I don't want Instanbull or Bullfighter or World Peace. They will not be on my MP3 player.

Re: Morrissey is no longer the Morrissey I once knew and loved.

Okay.

May I also add that magazines and so forth are hailing these songs as "brilliant" or "unique". Really? Isn't that astonishing? Are they being paid to play-up these songs and package them as something that they are not. They are not even close to brilliant. Instanbul is not a brilliant song. It has nothing compared to Forgiven Jesus or Work of Art. Absolutely nothing.

Are you the same person you were 25 years ago? He's just a person. The Smiths were more than just him. I have been listening to Smiths stuff and some of his early solo stuff a lot lately, and I think Johnny Marr was more on an influence on the group than Morrissey. Johnny Marr was brilliant, absolutely genius, and Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce were excellent musicians as well. Consider that they were in their mid twenties when they created all this that we love so much. People grow up, have a life, their priorities change, their creativity changes, their influences change. This is one thing I am coming to realize for my own life. It's a tough realization to make, but growing up and changing just is part of being a human. Look at the Beatles from start to finish. Look at Nirvana from start to finish. Look at U2-they were incredible in the beginning, but you couldn't pay me to listen to anything past The Joshua Tree.

Are you the same person you were 25 years ago? He's just a person. The Smiths were more than just him. I have been listening to Smiths stuff and some of his early solo stuff a lot lately, and I think Johnny Marr was more on an influence on the group than Morrissey. Johnny Marr was brilliant, absolutely genius, and Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce were excellent musicians as well. Consider that they were in their mid twenties when they created all this that we love so much. People grow up, have a life, their priorities change, their creativity changes, their influences change. This is one thing I am coming to realize for my own life. It's a tough realization to make, but growing up and changing just is part of being a human. Look at the Beatles from start to finish. Look at Nirvana from start to finish. Look at U2-they were incredible in the beginning, but you couldn't pay me to listen to anything past The Joshua Tree.

That's not what I meant. Morrissey is an artist, a unique artist. But these songs are not unique. They are amateur. They lack Morrissey, is what I am saying. I don't want to talk about The Smiths because this is about Morrissey's solo career. What went into these songs? I know Morrissey likes to write lyrics and perhaps he has laboured over them, but his musicians must have just rushed the project. His musicians could have done better.

Last edited:
Re:

May I also add that magazines and so forth are hailing these songs as "brilliant" or "unique". Really? Isn't that astonishing? Are they being paid to play-up these songs and package them as something that they are not. They are not even close to brilliant. Instanbul is not a brilliant song. It has nothing compared to Forgiven Jesus or Work of Art. Absolutely nothing.

Doh, we have no shortages of complainers.

Critics / reviewers have their own opinions like you.

If you don't like songs of World Peace Is None Of Your Business, listen some other bands / artists' albums.

Last edited:

Yes, you are right: He should stop eating, wear women's blouses and trot around the stage with a small tree in his back pocket.

What works when we are 25 doesn't necessarily work when we are 55.

Re:

He's older now.

At the age of 55 he obviously isn't going to strut around the stage a la "Live in Dallas".

What I would say is that from Quarry onwards his vocal style has changed. It's more middle aged crooner now, and is completely different to the youthful voice we heard on Viva Hate and Bona Drag.

I do agree that the lyrics of late have been trite. I find the music pretty uninspiring too. When you compare it to the Alain Whyte songs from the 1990s it's night and day.

Re:

Here we go. As far as i am aware the new album hasnt even been released yet. Fair enough if you dont like what he has released so far but it is a tad premature to start writing him off without listening to his latest work.

Personally i am really looking forward to hearing the rest of the album. I couldnt stand another ringleader or refusal but this one seems like it is going to be a bit different.

Re:

I’m surprised at how many people I know that personally didn’t like “Ringleader...” and/or “Years of Refusal”. I think both are great records. I think so far of the four studio songs that have been previewed for “World Peace...” they’re all really good to great (even the title track, which took me a bit to warm up to). I just looked at my iTunes play count and I’ve played them over 20 times.

Are you the same person you were 25 years ago? <snip> Look at Nirvana from start to finish. Look at U2-they were incredible in the beginning, but you couldn't pay me to listen to anything past The Joshua Tree.

Word. I was a diehard U2 fan for nearly 30 years. The last three albums have pushed me away entirely. But I don't blame them.

There are two things at play here. First, the artist has to evolve, needs to grow, change and experiment, especially over a long and storied career. Their life experience and exposure to other things, other musicians, other technology, other music, influences them whether consciously or not, and pushes them to evolve. Would you really want thirty years of exactly the same songs? I'm certain he wouldn't want to stagnate and keep creating the same thing over and over again.

Second, you change as an individual over time, for many of the same reasons: life experience, exposure to other things, including other music. You're not the same person as you were 10, 15, 20 years ago, why would your taste be the same, or even follow the same tangent as Morrissey's change in style?

It's like when people marry at 19 years old and expect to still love each other and be together at 50...too much happens to them separately to keep them on the same course. Rarely, but not often, does it happen.

I have been listening to The Smiths and Morrissey for over 20 years, admittedly, with The Smiths it was quite late. I enjoy the songs from Morrissey's solo career, but ever since Southpaw Grammar I think that Morrissey's talent has begun to dry-up. I think his current musicians are too exotic. I loved the My Love Life years and whatnot, but since he has got these Latino musicians on board I haven't really been taken aback by Morrissey's music. I can point out some good songs from Quarry and perhaps one or two from Ringleaders and Swords, but I think that even these songs lack Morrissey's unique touch to transport me to another world. Now with this new album I am very disappointed. I have listened to Bullfighter, World Peace and Earth and I just don't get it.

He seems to fighting the music all the time. In fact, the music of these tracks sounds so amateurish. For some odd reason they lack intensity and they appear to be regurgitations of older songs. The Bullfighter song has no melody, and in fact the next track on my MP3 player is Reader Meet Author, which is a great song. Is Bullfighter supposed to be the new Bengali in Platforms (?), because Bengali has character and depth, Bullfighter just doesn't. It is light weight, flimsy, amateurish and would suit the intro to a Bond movie like Diamonds are forever or Goldeneye.

Morrissey is not singing like he should, with intensity and melancholly, although his tone of voice is nice on Bullfighter, he is, unfortunately, fighting against the music all the time. The same goes for World Peace. It all sounds so trite, the lyric I mean, and the instruments are just appaulling. Earth doesn't sound too bad in parts, but then Morrissey sings a few lines, and then there's a predictable instrumental piece, which is just boring and flavourless. The problem with these songs is that they lack Morrissey's previous genius, and the musicians need to work on the production of the songs. In my view, Morrissey needs new musicians. Now I know you cannot get Morrissey to pen songs like Swallow on My Neck and You're the One for me Fatty anymore (although I have Forgiven Jesus is perfect and very original), I feel that Morrissey can only write the odd good song now together with good production and melodies, but that his musicians and the production of his music often let's him down.

I want the old Morrissey back. I want intensity. I want My Love life and I want Say Billy Bud. I want Wide to Receive. I want Seasick Yet Still Docked. I even want Come Back to Camden.

I don't want Instanbull or Bullfighter or World Peace. They will not be on my MP3 player.

Why don't they just go away? It's like some suicide note or something.

Let us know how it works out.

Word. I was a diehard U2 fan for nearly 30 years. The last three albums have pushed me away entirely. But I don't blame them.

There are two things at play here. First, the artist has to evolve, needs to grow, change and experiment, especially over a long and storied career. Their life experience and exposure to other things, other musicians, other technology, other music, influences them whether consciously or not, and pushes them to evolve. Would you really want thirty years of exactly the same songs? I'm certain he wouldn't want to stagnate and keep creating the same thing over and over again.

Second, you change as an individual over time, for many of the same reasons: life experience, exposure to other things, including other music. You're not the same person as you were 10, 15, 20 years ago, why would your taste be the same, or even follow the same tangent as Morrissey's change in style?

It's like when people marry at 19 years old and expect to still love each other and be together at 50...too much happens to them separately to keep them on the same course. Rarely, but not often, does it happen.

If you were really "pushed away" you wouldn't be here to tell us you were pushed away.

Last edited:
Re:

I’m surprised at how many people I know that personally didn’t like “Ringleader...” and/or “Years of Refusal”. I think both are great records. I think so far of the four studio songs that have been previewed for “World Peace...” they’re all really good to great (even the title track, which took me a bit to warm up to). I just looked at my iTunes play count and I’ve played them over 20 times.

Both great records. ROTT albeit has terrible production and mix but great nonetheless!

[URL=http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/cinemarr1/media/moz_playCount_zps074fa76d.jpg.html][/URL]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom