Morrissey is anti-immigrant backs a white nationalist party. Why don’t fans care? - LA Times

Morrissey is anti-immigrant and backs a white nationalist political party. Why don’t fans care? - Los Angeles Times
By Randall Roberts

The singer, who plays the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, has always enjoyed a special bond with his Southern California fans. But could hateful remarks about immigrants spoil that?

Excerpt:

Los Angeles Councilwoman Rodriguez, who facilitated the city’s 2017 Morrissey Day celebration, stresses this distinction between art and artist. Asked whether the singer’s recent provocations have caused her to reassess her fandom or the wisdom of her resolution, she says no. “Morrissey has had a long history of saying controversial commentary about England and the monarchy. I think it’s part of what he has always been.” She and her family have tickets to Saturday’s Bowl concert.

On a larger level, Rodriguez adds, “Everyone in this country and anywhere, in my belief, is entitled to their opinions, even if I am not a proponent of that mindset.” Artists have permission to be controversial, she says. “It is, by nature, art.”

That doesn’t mean Morrissey should get a pass, says Nic Harcourt, a morning drive-time DJ for KCSN and music supervisor. For a long time, Harcourt chose to laugh off many of Morrissey’s public rows. The singer even did a guest DJ session with Harcourt when the latter hosted “Mornings Become Eclectic” on KCRW.

“He’s always flirted with this right-wing thing. This didn’t just suddenly happen,” Harcourt says. Something has shifted, though, and it prompted a reckoning. “When he made it so obvious earlier this year, I decided I wasn’t going to play his music anymore on the radio.” (Harcourt stresses that he’s speaking as a DJ and not as a spokesman for KCSN.)

Morrissey’s manager, Katsis, said that most frustrating to him is that, artistically, his client is at the top of his game. The shows have been phenomenal, but the media is focused on what Morrissey says offstage. “It’s just his opinion, and it’s taken as gospel. That’s the most bizarre part of it.”

Katsis adds, “Everyone keeps repeating that Morrissey said, ‘The Chinese are a subspecies.’ That comment was made about the Chinese government, and everybody has problems with the way they treat people.” Katsis says that he recently received a request from a promoter for his client to play concerts in China. Morrissey wants to play there but wondered, “Do you think they’d let me in the country?”

Such tensions can drive great art, and can prompt an essential question on fandom: Which is more powerful, the thrill that rushes into your spirit when you connect with a song or album, or the disappointment that comes with realizing you don’t share essential values with its creator?

“Fandom is very personal,” says “Mozlandia” author Hidalgo. “It’s about the self. It’s selfish. You’re going to like something you like, and no one in the world is going to tell you not to do it. Because if they tell you not to do it, you’ll do it even more.”

Related Item:

Last edited:
That headline is utter nonsense, For Britain are not against immigration at all.

They just call out the very worst aspects of Islam, you know, all the stuff that Labour and the Tories dare not mention.

They have no issue with other minorities or indeed law abiding Muslims.

They are against immigration & they are ethnic Nationalists. They're formally connected to The National Rally in France (among others) - which used to be called The National Front.

In the past more people accepted that all human beings are flawed characters, whereas now there is an authoritarian-minded school of thought that insists you must be saintly and flawless for your art to be accepted and enjoyed.

I think what makes people interesting is often the tension between their flaws and attributes. I watched a documentary last week that showed Clapton off his head and snorting heroin. It was quite a powerful scene. He looked wrecked, like his soul was on fire. The scene spoke to me about the human condition, about human pain.

Gary Glitter was a crafty f***er because if you watch old interviews he had a warm and welcoming personality while very successfully concealing a sordid dark secret.

HP Lovecraft was simply an honest man; he didn't like the blacks he saw when visiting New York, they seemed strange and primitive to him. Maybe he had a bad experience with some of them, who knows; maybe the way they looked and acted just freaked him out. Each to their own. He was a writer of immense intensity - isn't that more important than his personal likes and dislikes?

... and lo, the pond scum surfaces.

Would it be okay to say, "One can't help but feel that the Chinese are a bunch of fruitcakes," or is that bad? Asking for a friend.

The sub-species quote from Moz was typical hyperbole. He was reacting to the Chinese (apparently) eating dogs. 'Sub-species' has overtones of racism, and is obviously inconsistent - if you stand up for animal rights, why is eating dogs any worse than eating cows? Are there no Chinese vegans?

But these all keep getting brought up again and again because of M's vocal and ongoing support of an intolerant political party. When so many people were attracted to him in the first place because of his bold stance on sexuality & gender. At last, I (and many others) thought, when I was growing up, a male role model who isn't a butch, violent Ranbo macho type. At last I feel empowered to confess to liking poetry, and flowers. This was in the 80s - 'queer-bashing' was a thing. 'Gay' was always a pejorative term in my school. SO ultimately, we yearned for tolerance and Moz was the poster boy. BUT now he supports intolerance. You can talk about free speech all you like, but this FB shit just doesn't sit right with me - and many others.

The sub-species quote from Moz was typical hyperbole. He was reacting to the Chinese (apparently) eating dogs. 'Sub-species' has overtones of racism, and is obviously inconsistent - if you stand up for animal rights, why is eating dogs any worse than eating cows? Are there no Chinese vegans?

Did he say eating dogs is worse than eating cows?

Wouldn’t you agree that an animal rights activist would think both actions are disgusting?

And wouldn’t you agree that even ignorant subspecies types that continue to eat animals in this day and age would think that eating dogs is worse than eating cows ?

Regardless of who is being cruel to animals they in the eyes of an animal activist would be considered a subspecies, ignorant, etc. In the interview they just so happen to be talking about Chinese people who are cruel to animals, not all Chinese people.

M is not a racist. This is stupid.

Leave my Steve alone.

Okay, maybe he’s not a racist. But he is an islamaphobe. I know that many people here think that this is totally fine, but what about you? Do you think that it is totally fine? I don’t try to tell me that he isn’t an islamaphobe.

I’m sure that he is likely not disturbed by the lorry tragedy? Just another 39 “subspecies” vanished from the Earth.

But these all keep getting brought up again and again because of M's vocal and ongoing support of an intolerant political party. When so many people were attracted to him in the first place because of his bold stance on sexuality & gender. At last, I (and many others) thought, when I was growing up, a male role model who isn't a butch, violent Ranbo macho type. At last I feel empowered to confess to liking poetry, and flowers. This was in the 80s - 'queer-bashing' was a thing. 'Gay' was always a pejorative term in my school. SO ultimately, we yearned for tolerance and Moz was the poster boy. BUT now he supports intolerance. You can talk about free speech all you like, but this FB shit just doesn't sit right with me - and many others.
but moz himself didn't need a poster boy to do all that ("liking poetry and flowers"). he did it because that's who he was. he didn't let anyone dictate for him what is okay or what he should like. perhaps, more than it being okay to like poetry and flowers, that's what you should have taken away from the example moz set: to listen to your own inner self, to be honest about what you like regardless of what anyone thinks. then maybe you wouldn't need other individuals to remain symbols for you for the rest of their and your life.

I reckon will you jealous pieces of shit in Mankchaster and Camden, New Jersey stop saying that all of The California Son's fans in Moz Angeles are Mexicans or "latinos". You lazy f***s couldn't afford a concert in his hometown Moz Angeles so you will never see that the majority of his fans at California shows are white inn nnn n n n n nnnnn n n it.

you are a prize moron & not funny in the slightest.

Innit

Yes, I have listened to Anne Marie Waters speak & I've read For Britain's manifesto. I wanted to know what Morrissey had got himself in to.

She comes across as very nice, she sometimes sounds reasonable, but she's definitely far right. For Britain are formally connected to a network of European far right identity parties & she absolutely has become a white, Christian, nationalist.

It's probable that she genuinely became afraid that Islamic values were changing European law & that would put gay rights etc at risk. And I think the left/centre has been been negligent in not addressing real concerns & we'll probably pay for that as clashes increase like the Birmingham schools row... but that's still no excuse for a politician. She's made this her job, she's not some daft pop star. It's a toxic, crank, party & I hope it dwindles out of existence.

I also really hope someone who loves Morrissey persuades him out of this. He does seem very distressed & confused about it.
The British Public are sick of unfettered immigration policies. They're also sick of being called racists for wanting it slowed down. They're also sick of being called racists for criticising the toxic ideology known as islam. She seems nice and reasonable to you because she is. You can label these concerns far right all you like but you'd be wrong 100% of the time. The fact that you criticise her for being white and christian speaks volumes. As far as nationalism goes you're incorrect. She doesn't want to kick immigrants out of Britain, she just wants it controlled.

Wouldn’t you agree that an animal rights activist would think both actions are disgusting?

And wouldn’t you agree that even ignorant subspecies types that continue to eat animals in this day and age would think that eating dogs is worse than eating cows ?

Regardless of who is being cruel to animals they in the eyes of an animal activist would be considered a subspecies, ignorant, etc. In the interview they just so happen to be talking about Chinese people who are cruel to animals, not all Chinese people.

That's not what he said though. No matter how you spin it, his words were, "You can't help but feel that the Chinese people are a subspecies.”

For a clever wordsmith, that is an awful, shameful sentiment. Which he definitely needs to apologize for.

We'll done to all on this free speech site who have protested against Morrisseys ugly views.
Robert de Niro similarly speaks out against his President stateside. He and many Americans find his politics reprehensible. Morrissey should be run outta Hollywood. Not given stardom. Not obtaining wealthy from your dollars.

The British Public are sick of unfettered immigration policies. They're also sick of being called racists for wanting it slowed down. They're also sick of being called racists for criticising the toxic ideology known as islam. She seems nice and reasonable to you because she is. You can label these concerns far right all you like but you'd be wrong 100% of the time. The fact that you criticise her for being white and christian speaks volumes. As far as nationalism goes you're incorrect. She doesn't want to kick immigrants out of Britain, she just wants it controlled.

I've been involved in politics most of my life, so I know that not all concerns about immigration or religious beliefs are racist.

But For Britain is a far right identity party. It is formally connected to other European far right identity parties, including The National Rally in France, which used to be The National Front.

I totally agree with that question. Specially American fans. Morrissey has been criticised in England for his toxic comments, and that's one of them, anti-immigrant. In America he has lots of Mexican followers and even themselves don't care about his white supremacy political views. The way Morrissey has been talking about other nationalities and he's bigotry is utterly disgusting. However, he'll be happy to take the money from those who he even dislike. Some of us have principals and we defend them, others very sadly are simply blind by the fan status and would follow the leader whatever he says right or wrong.

When he says Mexicans have nice teeth, some will think it's a compliment and some will think he inspects them like an intending purchaser at some kind of auction...

It's like Jesse Tobias, always defending is anti-migrant boss, not realizing that, with the way he himself looks, if he was not an #internationallyadoredguitarist, he'd be shot at any border. (Or just frowned at by purse-clutching elderly ladies in Altrincham.)

Is it stupidity? Lack of self-awareness? After all, Steven could be busy trying to eat rocks in Cashel nowadays if his parents had not decided to emigrate. But guess what, he's made it his life mission to bitch about migrants. Wow. Let that sink in (the Mediterranean) for a sec. Can't the people who defend him 24/7 see how that is a tiny wee bit f***ed-up? (And then of course they can go back to listening to Padraig the self-loathing Chinese Choker if they like.)

Human beings rarely see themselves as they are.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Thelma Houston announced she was a white supremacist.

I don't know James Baldwin well enough to know whether he enjoys being part of Morrissey's minstrel show...You know, I have a feeling he doesn't. But he is conveniently dead.

Looked at by mindless music consumers.
That's all you've got now, all you've wanted, and all you've ever deserved anyway.

No he didn't say eating dogs was worse than cows. But he implied it, by singling out the Chinese as a subspecies.
Yes i would agree an anim right activist would hate both. So why single out the Chinese?
Lots of people think it's ok to eat some animals but not others. I don't understand why.

But my point was that M wasn't making a big statement on race then. He was being hyperbolic. It's getting dredged up because of the FB shit. Remember when STDIB came out? Everyone was loving him, he was on the radio, he had Morrissey day in LA or whatever it was...people were willing to forget past controversies. He f***ed his career resurgence up himself with all this FB shit. They are intolerant, islamophobic extremists. Now every little thing is dredged up and used in evidence against him.

The article makes a good attempt at laying out the evidence. The incontrovertible evidence. Read it. It's all there.

The quote from Katsis is so, so telling - “It certainly hasn’t had any effect in our best markets (my emphasis) like L.A., New York and San Diego. Most U.S. fans don’t care, or even know enough about U.K. politics, to have an opinion on what Morrissey posts.”

There you have it - he tours where the crowd don't know about the racist comments in Britain and where there's money to be made. I've said it for ages, and now Katsis admits it.

And as for Rodriguez - what kind of a position is that?

Morrissey - says a long line of bigoted, racist things
Fan - 'Well, that's what artists do"

Me - f*** you, f*** Morrissey, f*** racism.

How many years ago was it that you were caught on camera, multiple times, in the front row when Morrissey performed for the BBC? 2014, wasn’t it? Bopping away, clapping and cheering and loving it.

You’re angry because Morrissey doesn’t love you as much as you love him. You thought you were inner circle, and you aren’t, and it f***ing kills you.

f*** you, f*** you, f*** racism, f*** jealousy, f*** bitterness, f*** your woe-is-me attitude, f*** you and, uhhhh, f*** you.

What would you know? You live in a country that’s littered with inbred activity and who can’t even speak properly. Cavemen at best.

I'm part of the British Public. We're sick of lots of things. Most notably, I think most of the country is sick of racist asshats and the megarich in power and on the TV making our country be at war with itself.

Could someone please explain to me - when does 'concerned about immigration' become 'racism'?

Is it wanting to reduce immigration by 100? or 1000? or 100,000?

Does not wanting to live in a Muslim country and preferring to live in a Western country make you racist? Well, there must be millions of racist Muslims in Europe, then.

So if a European town becomes over 50% Muslim - is that a problem? If you don't want all meat served in local schools and hospitals and prisons to be halal because it's cruel - is that racist?

Morrissey has a voice. He uses it. He has an opinion. He expresses it. Get over it.

I see you found the list dog whistle.

Back
Top Bottom