Morrissey is anti-immigrant backs a white nationalist party. Why don’t fans care? - LA Times

Morrissey is anti-immigrant and backs a white nationalist political party. Why don’t fans care? - Los Angeles Times
By Randall Roberts

The singer, who plays the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, has always enjoyed a special bond with his Southern California fans. But could hateful remarks about immigrants spoil that?

Excerpt:

Los Angeles Councilwoman Rodriguez, who facilitated the city’s 2017 Morrissey Day celebration, stresses this distinction between art and artist. Asked whether the singer’s recent provocations have caused her to reassess her fandom or the wisdom of her resolution, she says no. “Morrissey has had a long history of saying controversial commentary about England and the monarchy. I think it’s part of what he has always been.” She and her family have tickets to Saturday’s Bowl concert.

On a larger level, Rodriguez adds, “Everyone in this country and anywhere, in my belief, is entitled to their opinions, even if I am not a proponent of that mindset.” Artists have permission to be controversial, she says. “It is, by nature, art.”

That doesn’t mean Morrissey should get a pass, says Nic Harcourt, a morning drive-time DJ for KCSN and music supervisor. For a long time, Harcourt chose to laugh off many of Morrissey’s public rows. The singer even did a guest DJ session with Harcourt when the latter hosted “Mornings Become Eclectic” on KCRW.

“He’s always flirted with this right-wing thing. This didn’t just suddenly happen,” Harcourt says. Something has shifted, though, and it prompted a reckoning. “When he made it so obvious earlier this year, I decided I wasn’t going to play his music anymore on the radio.” (Harcourt stresses that he’s speaking as a DJ and not as a spokesman for KCSN.)

Morrissey’s manager, Katsis, said that most frustrating to him is that, artistically, his client is at the top of his game. The shows have been phenomenal, but the media is focused on what Morrissey says offstage. “It’s just his opinion, and it’s taken as gospel. That’s the most bizarre part of it.”

Katsis adds, “Everyone keeps repeating that Morrissey said, ‘The Chinese are a subspecies.’ That comment was made about the Chinese government, and everybody has problems with the way they treat people.” Katsis says that he recently received a request from a promoter for his client to play concerts in China. Morrissey wants to play there but wondered, “Do you think they’d let me in the country?”

Such tensions can drive great art, and can prompt an essential question on fandom: Which is more powerful, the thrill that rushes into your spirit when you connect with a song or album, or the disappointment that comes with realizing you don’t share essential values with its creator?

“Fandom is very personal,” says “Mozlandia” author Hidalgo. “It’s about the self. It’s selfish. You’re going to like something you like, and no one in the world is going to tell you not to do it. Because if they tell you not to do it, you’ll do it even more.”

Related Item:

Last edited:
Here's Labour's policy on Islam:

"British and Western culture are altering themselves in accordance with the scriptural requirements of Islam. This must stop. We must restore freedom of speech and criminally punish those who use or threaten violence to silence opponents.

We demand that non-British jihadists known to the UK government are deported, and that those who join ISIS are denied re-entry to the UK.

There should be no sharia councils operating in Britain. These are often run by jihadists and Islamists hostile to the UK. Marriage, divorce and child custody matters should be governed solely by UK laws. Mosques must register for civil marriage as other religious establishments do.

Crimes committed against women and girls, including forced or child marriage, female genital mutilation, or honour violence, must be punished with lengthy prison sentences and/or deportation."

Oh wait! I have just realised this is not Labour at all - It's that Nazi group Morrissey supports:openmouth:. This is pure evil :rage:

You might not have stopped but I'm afraid thousands of people round the world have, including 60% of his pre 2018 fan-base (in the UK) have. The problem with his stance is that it undermines or contradicts nearly everything he and the Smiths ever stood for. He's urging us to vote for a political party that slashes taxes for the rich, abandons any attempts to address the climate crisis, and massively increase military expenditure. Unbelievably, though, he may not even realise this as he has just blindly followed Annie Walters (from UKIP and Labour) who he is understandably attracted to, due to her being a vegan, lesbian feminist. If he has any close friends or people in the record company that want to help him out of this career-destroying mess, they really need to point this stuff out to him, or just sit him down with the For Bigots manifesto, and check that he understands it.
It's extremely fortunate that he has a new album of songs recorded and ready for release. If he was currently sending demos out to record companies, and in search of a deal, he wouldn't stand a cat in hell's chance.

Yawn!!
Yet another Skinny cut & paste job from various other threads.
Repetitive, meaningless drivel.
Next.

You might not have stopped but I'm afraid thousands of people round the world have, including 60% of his pre 2018 fan-base (in the UK) have. The problem with his stance is that it undermines or contradicts nearly everything he and the Smiths ever stood for. He's urging us to vote for a political party that slashes taxes for the rich, abandons any attempts to address the climate crisis, and massively increase military expenditure. Unbelievably, though, he may not even realise this as he has just blindly followed Annie Walters (from UKIP and Labour) who he is understandably attracted to, due to her being a vegan, lesbian feminist. If he has any close friends or people in the record company that want to help him out of this career-destroying mess, they really need to point this stuff out to him, or just sit him down with the For Bigots manifesto, and check that he understands it.
It's extremely fortunate that he has a new album of songs recorded and ready for release. If he was currently sending demos out to record companies, and in search of a deal, he wouldn't stand a cat in hell's chance.

If the pope had not been catholic, Skinny, he wouldnt be pope today.
Every post you make less sense.

<snip>

So, this bit is totally irrelevant, but similar in nature to all your other posts which are just irrelevant.
In short, you post varying flavours of irrelevance.
Procrastination.
The devil will find work for idle hands to do.
End.

Have you actually listened to Anne Marie Waters speak?

Yes, I have listened to Anne Marie Waters speak & I've read For Britain's manifesto. I wanted to know what Morrissey had got himself in to.

She comes across as very nice, she sometimes sounds reasonable, but she's definitely far right. For Britain are formally connected to a network of European far right identity parties & she absolutely has become a white, Christian, nationalist.

It's probable that she genuinely became afraid that Islamic values were changing European law & that would put gay rights etc at risk. And I think the left/centre has been been negligent in not addressing real concerns & we'll probably pay for that as clashes increase like the Birmingham schools row... but that's still no excuse for a politician. She's made this her job, she's not some daft pop star. It's a toxic, crank, party & I hope it dwindles out of existence.

I also really hope someone who loves Morrissey persuades him out of this. He does seem very distressed & confused about it.

He was seduced by Annie Waters a long time before she formed 'For Bigots'. He hasn't even properly read their manifesto. He was a fan of hers when she was in UKIP, and in Labour before then. Had she won the UKIP leadership election, that would have been it (he would then have simply supported a slightly unpleasant but essentially harmless fringe party). But she didn't so she went and formed For Bigots. It was obviously her that attracted him to them. She's a feminist, vegan lesbian and that ticks all the boxes as far as Steve is concerned, and that's the reason he backs her/them over the Greens or Liberals. Steve is an absolute political lightweight - he simply does not understand the basics. Because he's pretty clever in other areas of life, many people have yet to grasp this simple truth.

Agree - it's his pathological Animal liberation stance that's caused this debacle.

Although we should bear in mind he does have some chronic mental health & identity issues. I don't think anyone has ever been so entirely bi as Morrissey, in everything from his sexuality to his gender to his Irish/Englishness to his politics to his attitude to his Catholicism, even in songs he switches constantly between innocence & guilt, cruelty & kindness. So maybe his strident opinions are just a way of getting some clarity into all that ambivalence.

:straightface:

Moz was ahead of the curve when he lamped the Chinese. Those cucks eat puppies and kitties FFS.:mad:
All the left wing loons defending them look now twats, they are trampling on peeps rights. You ignored Moz
now you look stupid.:lbf:
speaking of stupid open the train tracks here come ALL the skinny pseuds: 'linder s', surface, benny the halal butcher, trill, ' moneychangeseverthing' , left nut, sucks, melvis the pizza pop, the follow up anons....the whole gang are sure to put in an appearance.
untruth will make an incoherent analysis somewhere in there.:lbf:
And you, in a who's who of superheroes, wow! The superhero group known as The Solo Injustice League.

shaggy you and scooby doo should be out investigating a dilapidated fairground instead of being on here on a Friday morning,haloween is round the corner and we all know scooby doo cant wait.

Nice comeback, this is more your speed. Cheers.

Has anyone here stopped listening to The Beatles because John Lennon was abusive to his female partners?

No.

Has anyone here stopped listening to records that Phil Spector produced since you’ve found out that he's in prison for murder?

No.

Has anyone stopped watching movies that Harvey Weinstein produced?

No.

Has anyone stopped watching Kevin Spacey films?

No.

Has anyone stopped listening to Jay Z's records after you'd found out that he used to deal drugs?

No.

Has anyone stoppd listening to Eric Clapton's records because of some racist shit that he'd said on stage a while back?

No.

So should I stop listening to Morrissey's records because he supported some party?

No, I shouldn't and I won't. I never will.

@ Morrissey&The Band Looking forward to your next album!
John Lennon did bad things in his private life. Those things are widely ignored by his fanbase. It would have been different, I think, if he had said in interviews etc that it's ok to beat your woman.
Phil Spector was mentally ill.
Weinstein was a producer - a money man, not really responsible for the works of art he enabled.
A lot of people find it hard to watch Spacey films now.
Jay Z dealing drugs...that's ok innit? Someone's gotta do it.
Clapton - well he's shit anyway, and his fans weren't atttacted to him for his views in the first place. Whereas Moz, people loved him because it was a new, brave voice on issues like gender & sexuality. As such, people expected an egalitarian, inclusive attitude to minorities.

The issues here are more complex than your post suggests. Lots of people have stopped listening to R Kelly. No one listens to Gary Glitter anymore. On the other hand, people read and appreciate HP Lovecraft, while abhorring his racist views.

Let us not over simplify. Or, if we must, how about "Love Morrissey Hate Racism"?

John Lennon did bad things in his private life. Those things are widely ignored by his fanbase. It would have been different, I think, if he had said in interviews etc that it's ok to beat your woman.
Weinstein was a producer - a money man, not really responsible for the works of art he enabled.
Clapton - well he's shit anyway, and his fans weren't atttacted to him for his views in the first place. Whereas Moz, people loved him because it was a new, brave voice on issues like gender & sexuality. As such, people expected an egalitarian, inclusive attitude to minorities.

The issues here are more complex than your post suggests. Lots of people have stopped listening to R Kelly. No one listens to Gary Glitter anymore. On the other hand, people read and appreciate HP Lovecraft, while abhorring his racist views.

Let us not over simplify. Or, if we must, how about "Love Morrissey Hate Racism"?

What a load of garbage. f***ing racist this, racist that, fascists every-f***ing-where you look...that's if we believe the shit on this site. f*** right off, you know nothing you f***ing snowflakes.

Loads of music lovers [clue] love Moz for his music; same with The Smiths, Clapton, JayZ, Cliff Richard, or Englebert Humperdink, or any other f***er. I don't give a f*** what their respective politics are/were.

Isn't it a fact that radio stations & the like have stopped playing GGlitter & RKelly? I'm sure there are some ppl who still listen to that music either through ownership of stuff, or on YT.

I want Moz's music, A-sides, B-sides, C-sides, tons of it, plus vids, plus reviews of tours, plus T-shirts & whatever else I can get my hands on. He can say, do what the f*** he likes, it won't affect my admiration for his art, or the chap himself.

If he says something, I read/listen, inwardly digest, either agree or disagree, end of. I don't live my life obsessed; he doesn't force his views on anyone, including me. He has made & still does make some great points, but none of you want to admit any of it might just be true. Your problem, no one else's.

Some of you sad f***s on here need to get a grip on reality instead of pretending to be able to decipher everything anyone says & interpret it whichever way you want to, except for the way in which it might have been intended.

FFS stop being a crusader like, or following, that twat Finan, & stop feeding his pathetic cause by rising to whatever shit he drops on here. What has Finan achieved with all his whingeing & whining? Apart from increasing traffic on this shit site, square root of diddly-squat. Guy's a compete waste of air.

Just get on with listening to & enjoying some of the best music & lyrics there have ever been...courtesy of the Mozmeister!

Now shut the f*** up & move on.

In the past more people accepted that all human beings are flawed characters, whereas now there is an authoritarian-minded school of thought that insists you must be saintly and flawless for your art to be accepted and enjoyed.

I think what makes people interesting is often the tension between their flaws and attributes. I watched a documentary last week that showed Clapton off his head and snorting heroin. It was quite a powerful scene. He looked wrecked, like his soul was on fire. The scene spoke to me about the human condition, about human pain.

Gary Glitter was a crafty f***er because if you watch old interviews he had a warm and welcoming personality while very successfully concealing a sordid dark secret.

HP Lovecraft was simply an honest man; he didn't like the blacks he saw when visiting New York, they seemed strange and primitive to him. Maybe he had a bad experience with some of them, who knows; maybe the way they looked and acted just freaked him out. Each to their own. He was a writer of immense intensity - isn't that more important than his personal likes and dislikes?

Has anyone here stopped listening to The Beatles because John Lennon was abusive to his female partners?

No.

Has anyone here stopped listening to records that Phil Spector produced since you’ve found out that he's in prison for murder?

No.

Has anyone stopped watching movies that Harvey Weinstein produced?

No.

Has anyone stopped watching Kevin Spacey films?

No.

Has anyone stopped listening to Jay Z's records after you'd found out that he used to deal drugs?

No.

Has anyone stoppd listening to Eric Clapton's records because of some racist shit that he'd said on stage a while back?

No.

So should I stop listening to Morrissey's records because he supported some party?

No, I shouldn't and I won't. I never will.

@ Morrissey&The Band Looking forward to your next album!
Clarity at last..... you forgot Michael Jackson,

England only has a few decades before the English become a minority in their own country. This is purely due to the globalist engineered mass immigration of the last couple of decades. Ireland will go before that - plans are underway to double its population by immigration in the next 10 years. So goodbye Ireland as we know it too.

Would Morrissey's Mexican fans approve if African and Muslim migrants were being strategically relocated into Mexico to the extent that Mexicans were soon to be a minority there? Of course they wouldn't. This would mean the death of their national culture as Mexico as a nation would have to accommodate the cultures of others.

People like Billy Bragg are ideologically obsessed with racism. The man hasn't mentally moved on since the 80s when migrants were a tiny proportion of Britain's population. If you don't want the globalists destroying your country and culture as you know and love it then you are instantly labelled and dragged through the mud.

Most British people do not want England to be a majority black and Muslim country - they want it to stay recognizably British where the British way of life is the dominant culture - but nobody in the public eye (apart from Morrissey) has the balls to echo this popular sentiment, so the ideologues like Bragg have the loudest say.

Last edited:
Me
The article makes a good attempt at laying out the evidence. The incontrovertible evidence. Read it. It's all there.

The quote from Katsis is so, so telling - “It certainly hasn’t had any effect in our best markets (my emphasis) like L.A., New York and San Diego. Most U.S. fans don’t care, or even know enough about U.K. politics, to have an opinion on what Morrissey posts.”

There you have it - he tours where the crowd don't know about the racist comments in Britain and where there's money to be made. I've said it for ages, and now Katsis admits it.

And as for Rodriguez - what kind of a position is that?

Morrissey - says a long line of bigoted, racist things
Fan - 'Well, that's what artists do"

Me - f*** you, f*** Morrissey, f*** racism.

Me: f*** you, Skinny, f*** all of your other fake accounts, & f*** your mental illness you misguided, pathetic excuse for a man.

“boo hoo, a pop star I spent my life idolising doesn’t share exactly the same opinion as me about everything in the world”

you are the definition of a cretin. You think you’re fighting racism? You deluded fool. The only thing you’re fighting is your own self-hatred & inability to forget about Morrissey & find something else to focus your moronic mind on for the remainder of your sad, wasted time on this planet.

Cretin.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom