Morrissey is a Children's Singer - Los Angeles Review of Books blog post by Jason Morphew

Morrissey is a Children’s Singer
By Jason Morphew

Los Angeles Review of Books blog post - 3/11/2018

"My four-year-old daughter Matilda’s major trauma is the existence of her three-year-old brother Venice. If she were to stage an exhibition of her genuinely moving and impressive visual art, I would argue for its being called Venice or Brother — or, perhaps most appropriately, Crashing Bore.

This is because Matilda has recently become enamored of the music of Stephen Patrick Morrissey. I don’t recall the first time I played Morrissey for Matilda — for her it was likely an in utero experience — but recently she has taken to Moz with a vengeance, which is the best way to take to him...."

http://blog.lareviewofbooks.org/essays/morrissey-childrens-singer/

Cute article and good on this parent for encouraging a new Moz fan, but they should also teach their daughter “it’s spelled STEVEN!” :)

And I've no doubt that Venice's major trauma is that he is called Venice.

start them young and you will have them forever.

This guy claims to be a big Smiths/Morrissey fan, but then he writes "this witty wordsmith...still claims (as far as I can tell) to be 'asexual'". When did Moz ever claim to be asexual? He hasn't called himself celibate in years. Morrissey articulates sexual desire as well as anyone in music, (e.g. "Dear God, Please Help Me").

This might bring child services crashing down on my home admitting this, but I played The Smiths for my daughter daily while she was in Utero. She's 10 now, and Morrissey is "kind of a butt" nowadays according to her, but she still listens to him.

Also, anyone who is embarrassed to refer to early rock 'n roll as "music" is an hopeless snob...
Didn't catch that. What a weirdo. The entire article seems to swing between reasonable commentary, and meandering pretentiousness.

The fact that he thinks Morrissey is asexual, doesn't know how to spell his first name, and finds rock 'n roll embarrassing, is a sign that it's time for Dad to stop talking.

This is how a lifetime of embarrassing your children begins.

Venice? Matilda? Some parents seem like they're try to carefully plan their children's suffering.

Do we really need to introduce children to Morrissey? It's not the worst thing you can do, but there's plenty of time for their spirits to be broken at a normal pace.

Cynicism should be earned.

Let them wallow in the innocence of youth for a while. The comment he made about dumb versions of children's music highlights his hipster parenting mindset.

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star has more substance than Roy's Keen. It's music. It was not originally designed to be an intellectual pursuit. If anything, academic music is a bastardization of music and why classical music had to be turned into an academic pursuit in order for it to survive.

It doesn't get people off their asses.

This guy claims to be a big Smiths/Morrissey fan, but then he writes "this witty wordsmith...still claims (as far as I can tell) to be 'asexual'". When did Moz ever claim to be asexual? He hasn't called himself celibate in years. Morrissey articulates sexual desire as well as anyone in music, (e.g. "Dear God, Please Help Me").
He can't spell his name either.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom