morrissey is a brilliant musician

butley

Just listening to some Smiths demos-ostensibly Girlfriend In A Coma and am amazed at the vocal melodies Morrissey came up with.They are brilliant. Forget the words,we all know how fantastic they are, but even the tune is genius. You can see how his vocal melodies influenced the final shape of the songs. Morrissey never gets any credit for his musicianship as far as I know.

Damn right.

I don't really get HOW he can come up with such great melodies...

I also heard that he doesn't need much time to "track" in the studio.

Which means he sings REALLY well...

I also heard that he doesn't need much time to "track" in the studio.

Which means he sings REALLY well...

Or that he often gets bored and refuses to do more than 2 or 3 takes of a song, as Smiths producers claimed. He's certainly got an ear for a hook - 'Boy with the Thorn...' is excellent both musically and vocally.

I think he like to just take a 2 to 3 takes simply to keep things fresh and as pure as possible- a lot of punks had the same attitude.

He has created some fantastic vocal melodies in the past, but I think the poorer the song writing gets the more it shows off his talent. For example if someone sent you an instrumental version of People Are The Same Everywhere, most wouldn't know where to start. Musically it just sounds so uninteresting and dull. But the vocal melody Morrissey managed to put to it has been stuck in my head for days. It was surely easier when songs like This Charming Man or Nowhere Fast were written than have some substance on their own.

To be honest it first struck me when I watched someone on youtube play an instrumental version of You Just Haven't Earned It Yet,Baby . It made me think that a quirky little tune that sounded like a few riffs,albeit good riffs, being tacked together was turned into an absolutely brilliant song due to Morrissey's input.

He has created some fantastic vocal melodies in the past, but I think the poorer the song writing gets the more it shows off his talent. For example if someone sent you an instrumental version of People Are The Same Everywhere, most wouldn't know where to start. Musically it just sounds so uninteresting and dull. But the vocal melody Morrissey managed to put to it has been stuck in my head for days. It was surely easier when songs like This Charming Man or Nowhere Fast were written than have some substance on their own.

100% agree with that.

Back
Top Bottom