Morrissey interview with Gal Uchovsky

I finally found some time to read this lengthy interview (thank you for taking the time to post it!) and found it quite humorous the way Morrissey answered their questions. So typical! It reminded me so much of Russell Brand's interview with Moz a few months ago and how he complained that Moz wouldn't answer any questions and was even evasive towards Russell's Mom's cat questions. Oh that man...:D

First of all, thank you very much for translating this journalist(in desperate need of an editor)'s recollection of basically every second of their trip.

To the journalist: Morrissey read your article and quoted it aloud (!). This will never happen to anybody who has the chance to meet and talk with him -- savour it. He also brought back Everyday is Like Sunday following your suggestion, although maybe that was after you wrote your thing.

"His jeans are blue, dark, traditional, lacking any kind of hypocrisy."

Hypocritical jeans? Anyone have a pair.....:p

Can't think it's that usual to see a pair of jeans described as lacking hypocrisy and i think more people should not only have spotted it, but commented upon it too....:mad:

Just saying...:p

Gay is when a man is attracted to other men.

Davdavon: you're a superstar, thanks so much for the excellent translation.

Gal's article was so well-written - beautiful and rather poignant, very true to the fan experience. This sentence was particularly honest and stark in its need: "Finally, not only did we meet, he also understands that I'm worth something." Of course I'm sure (hopefully) that Uchovsky already knew he was worth something. But what is it about admiring someone so much, someone whose work has touched you on a deep level, that you feel your life will be justified if that person will only recognise/acknowledge you on some level? [that's a rhetorical question, but if someone here has an insight or an answer, feel free]

I think I d' like to meet Lior and Gal...They seem to be vey nice guys.:cool:

Can't think it's that usual to see a pair of jeans described as lacking hypocrisy and i think more people should not only have spotted it, but commented upon it too....:mad:

Just saying...:p

Yes, I found this strange while translating the article. It doesn't make much sense in Hebrew as well. I think he wanted to say something like "unpretentious", but the Hebrew phrase he used is best translated as "lacking hypocrisy", and I wanted the translation to be as literal as possible, so...

Yes, I found this strange while translating the article. It doesn't make much sense in Hebrew as well. I think he wanted to say something like "unpretentious", but the Hebrew phrase he used is best translated as "lacking hypocrisy", and I wanted the translation to be as literal as possible, so...

I feel ashamed after all the effort you went to. Ta for doing that..:)

thanks for doing it , i can barely speak or write in one language

In that part the conversation also reversed and Morrissey started asking us questions. Morrissey was interested in Israel. What do we see on our television? What's Tel Aviv like? Will anyone even come to see him sing? Could he walk in the streets without policemen harassing him?I We promised him that Israel is really great. It seems that had I told him that it's certain that Israeli policemen will beat him up or at least give him some trouble, he would've been almost happy.
that REMINDS me of a story which I have to contribute here while reading that^ part
Its from the "word" mag 08 where several journos did talk about their encounters with MOZ over the years
Adrian Deevoy who did meet him in 1994 for a drink in camden ,watching a band playing and then joined the band backstage.
"Leaving the boozer behind in search for a little late night action, we ended up in the heart of a Kentish Town council estate. Morrissey, by now giggling and fiddling with his contact lenses, seemed curiously serene in such potentially hostile territory.
"Shall we buy some drugs and stay up `til Tuesday?"he enquired, knowing full well we had no intention of doing either and without waiting for a response, wandered off alone muttering"Well forget it then"
:D

A couple of days later, an email arrived from an AOL address, laconically saying "From Morrissey. Hello, is this Gal?". The truth is that I responded by screaming. Morrissey? In my mail? I literally screamed aloud.
I decided not to appear too enthusiastic and responded: "Yes, it's me. Is that really you? Because my heart just missed a beat," and Morrissey responded "No, it's not me. It's someone else". A couple of more mails followed, we somehow got to chat about the Eurovision, he told me this correspondence took place exactly during the period when his last record, Ringleader of the Tormentors, was released, and the best-known fact about it is that it was written in Rome, where Morrissey lived for two years. Coinciding with the album's release, a huge interview with him was published in one of the English journals, where the reporter excitedly told that after the interview Morrissey gave him his private email address, and even answered when the editorial board sent him questions for proofreading.
A week after the interview was published I discovered that the address that I have is no longer valid.
I wonder which mag or journo it was?

Say hello to Morrissey's sister and his two cousins, who arrived from Manchester and give the whole event a completely domestic feeling. In front of the cousins who ask regular questions such as for how long are you going to be in London ("two days"), where are you going then ("Switzerland"), and where then ("not to Barcelona"), Morrissey seems for the first time like a gentle, standard man, around my age. It's obvious that he likes his cousins very much, and it seems that he has a normal relationship with them.[/FONT]
I first thought the cousins asked/adressing these Q Lior and Gal but by mentioning switzerland..didnt morrissey did also mentioned in an radio interview(janice or the american radio show he did this year) that he is about to visit switzerland?
Next to us stood a father, probably 40 years old, who knew every word, which wasn't as exciting as the fact that on his shoulders sat his daughter, not more than 6 years old, and she also knew all the words. On certain lines it sounded quite amusing.[/FONT]
thts sooo sweet
i think i have seen them when one of the songs were recorded for tv and later appeared on youtube...possibly during "playboys"
.. Morrissey tells me that he already managed to leaf through the Tel Aviv City Guide. "I understand that Habitat [an Israeli deluxe furniture store] is the store for me", he smiles, and adds "I also read the article that you wrote at the beginning of the book, a pretty article. I especially liked the concluding sentence", and then he quotes it.
]I confess, I'm excited. Finally, not only did we meet, he also understands that I'm worth something. He's quoting a sentence that I wrote
thats great, gal..and that HE quotes YOU compensate the fact that he didnt respond to your mails after a certain time or hand out lior the new one ,eh?;)

and:clap::clap::clap: for davdavon translating!

Last edited:
thats great, gal..and that HE quotes YOU compensate the fact that he didnt respond to your mails after a certain time or hand out lior the new one ,eh?;)

[/QUOTE]

About as great as a hug from a stranger who's confused as to why she's hugging you. :rolleyes::mad:

About as great as a hug from a stranger who's confused as to why she's hugging you. :rolleyes::mad:
well i think its pretty great to get quoted by him..dont you think?l
so i dont get that comment..
its a huge compliment!

EDIT:
for the newer members-caust these following htreads are just as worth checking them out:
morrissey`s tour rider for the israel gig , translated by davdavon
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=88884&highlight=demands

lior`s view of the interview also tranlated by davdavon
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=88607&highlight=lior

Last edited:
well i think its pretty great to get quoted by him..and others as well
so i dont get that comment..I think its a huge compliment!

Yes it is. I'm just...bleh. Thanks for the quotes sistasheila. I appreciate all your posts.

"Leaving the boozer behind in search for a little late night action, we ended up in the heart of a Kentish Town council estate. Morrissey, by now giggling and fiddling with his contact lenses, seemed curiously serene in such potentially hostile territory.

Oh the nail-biting adventures of Morrissey!
He could have got lost a contact!!!
...And with Tufnell Park so close! What was he THINKING!

Can't believe Jake let him stay out so late. And to look for action as well!
(But he's so wild, obviously never enough sex, drugs etc, not the stay-at-home type, that man!:eek:)

Hi sistasheila

I believe that I passed through the hotel later the same day that this interview occured there.

Gal Uchovsky is the screenwriter for the film starring Lior A, 'Walk on Water' which I hadn't seen till I got back from Israel. It is an excellent film about prejudices, the past, conflicts, personal grief, throughout which the plot and characters go through some major developmental enlightening experiences. Some of the issues were/are politically sensitive. The documentary that came with it put the making of the film in context.

This is to say that Gal is very bright and talented himself, and still the nod from Moz means so much to him. Aw! :)

Tags
interview israel
Back
Top Bottom