Morrissey interview in Walla (Israel) - health update; new album written, looking for distribution

Newish, but not surprising.

Morrissey issues health update following cancer treatment - NME.com
Former Smiths frontman also confirms that next album is 'written'

Post by mcrickson:

Great news from the linked Walla (Israel) interview (Google translation to English):

"The new album is already written - but I need to find a distribution contract. It is impossible to find a record deal, so we're going to record the album ourselves once we find someone who could disseminate it and make it accessible worldwide."

Original Walla interview article (Hebrew)

Last edited by a moderator:
That depends what his terms are, how big of a cut is he willing to give the 'distributor'.

They probably will which is weird because this will be the first album Morrissey produces since Strangeways

Yeah with streets help of course. They may hire a producer though which I think will be worth the money. If they're doing promo themselves then he'll have to make himself more Available for Interviews and maYbe having a contest for fan made videos where he could feature the winners on tty or something would be a good cost saving idea while getting people talking watching and listening. Good to hear new music might be coming soon

Yeah with streets help of course. They may hire a producer though which I think will be worth the money. If they're doing promo themselves then he'll have to make himself more Available for Interviews and maYbe having a contest for fan made videos where he could feature the winners on tty or something would be a good cost saving idea while getting people talking watching and listening. Good to hear new music might be coming soon
Well Street didn't help them produce Meat Is Murder and The Queen Is Dead.

If he is willing to record the album on his own dime he could find a suitable distributor with absolute ease and he will end up making more money than he has on most of his albums. He's got the $$$ and he could cut a deal where he gets paid 6-8 bucks per album sold rather than the typical 2 bucks or so.

Sure hope he beats that damn cancer :(

Great news! I think he knows his fans are waiting to hear his new material, he has a huge undertaking ahead of him but he has a lot of talent around him to help.

Moz is reaching this conclusion long after many other artists have, but he's still reached it.
It took almost two years of sustained label searching...

Let the old dreams die
Let the wrong ones go

I'd like to believe it'll result in something great, with a return to a more active role in producing -- give Steven Street a ring -- and hand crafted sleeves (many dreading the prospect of SER being in charge of all graphic design). I like the idea an anon. poster had above of a video contest. Maybe some film makers will do something from scratch, rather than just found footage (some of which have been impressive nonetheless).

Well street was still there for those albums even if he was the engineer .
Given his friendship and skills I imagine him to be more than just an engineer following directions but it's not important. A good thing about the contest sort of deal is that it gets the video makers promoting the album for him in a hey look what I made in da way that they'll share everywhere to show off and promote themselves. Hes got enough talented arty fans to make good ones as well. Promotiln at no cost to himself is a good thing

He could have had a distribution deal for physical product by the end of any business day for the last 9 years. Crikey. I can't even grasp how stupid it was (and how much money he lost) by not selling his "own" version of WPINOYB on tour for the last 2 years.

Blikey! Lil Sammy can mix the album at Jack's house. He just needs to download it from his Iphone to Jack's 4 track machine from the 1975 Black Sabbath tour he has in his room that his dad gave him. I reckon lil' Sammy will have to apologize first for when he got mad at Jack for hitting more home runs than him in Calabasas Little League and stole Becca from him.

The Israeli article seems to be saying that he's suffering from metastatic oesophageal cancer and "all that his subjects can do now is count down the time left for them to enjoy his presence".

That's different from what we've heard before and a bit more serious. f***ing hell.

The google translation is messed up though. Could someone who speaks Hebrew confirm that that's what it says?

If this is true, how come no new songs are being played on these new dates?

Why not cut an album and sell it at the shows (as well) so many more people will buy it there, versus trying to make them find it at a store.

The Israeli article seems to be saying that he's suffering from metastatic oesophageal cancer and "all that his subjects can do now is count down the time left for them to enjoy his presence".

That's different from what we've heard before and a bit more serious. f***ing hell.

The google translation is messed up though. Could someone who speaks Hebrew confirm that that's what it says?

The stuff about cancerous metastases in the esophagus that Morrissey has been carrying around for a few years and that he won't be around for a lot longer for his fans, is not anything Morrissey says, it's just the reporter babbling on, mentioning Bowie's passing, etc.

The only answer Morrissey actually gives in this regard, and is also not in the original English wording, is:
"It's been two years since you revealed you were diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus, as any good Jewish person, I have to first off ask - how's your health?
I think the Cancer slowed me down considerably, because the combination of doctors and medicines is accelerating the aging process in a way. These things wear you down more than the medical problem itself.
I think that if I'm asked to do another blood test I'll explode."

So there really is nothing new here in regards to his medical state.

That is what it says, according to my coworker who reads Hebrew (a nurse). But also according to my coworker, "If it were metastatic and not Barrett's esophagus, he wouldn't be touring"

The stuff about cancerous metastases in the esophagus that Morrissey has been carrying around for a few years and that he won't be around for a lot longer for his fans, is not anything Morrissey says, it's just the reporter babbling on, mentioning Bowie's passing, etc.

The only answer Morrissey actually gives in this regard, and is also not in the original English wording, is:
"It's been two years since you revealed you were diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus, as any good Jewish person, I have to first off ask - how's your health?
I think the Cancer slowed me down considerably, because the combination of doctors and medicines is accelerating the aging process in a way. These things wear you down more than the medical problem itself.
I think that if I'm asked to do another blood test I'll explode."

So there really is nothing new here in regards to his medical state.
Yes. Sorry....you said it better than I.

If this is true, how come no new songs are being played on these new dates?

Why not cut an album and sell it at the shows (as well) so many more people will buy it there, versus trying to make them find it at a store.

"The new album is already written - but I need to find a distribution deal.
It's impossible finding a recording contract, so we will record the album ourselves,
once we find someone who will distribute it and who will be able to make is available worldwide."

So he hasn't recorded the album yet and he's waiting to get a distribution contract before he
records the album.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom