Morrissey interview in Village Voice

Why does this Skylarker character post on here considering they seemingly despise Morrissey? :confused:

What a cabbage :o.

I presume you're using cabbage in the pejorative sense? Seems a bit harsh on cabbages.

Johnny Marr is quoted as saying at the meeting at Geales that the quiffs have got to go. Get rid of a quiff and you end up with a Suedehead.

Interesting. Johnny had his hair cut short in '86 and then had it in a quiff again by '87 - why would he say they had to go? The idea of JM telling Morrissey to get rid of his quiff is hilarious. You'd have better luck telling him to cut off one of his legs.

Just because he stopped wanting to be in the smiths that doesn't mean he always wanted to be a solo artist...
Calm the f*** down.

Carly , if that is the case and he didn't want to be a solo artist , when he first got together with Gary , boz , Alain and spencer , why didn't they go by a band name? Ala Bernard butler and Brett Anderson as The Tears.

And how very egotistical to refer to yourself as a band called Morrissey.......as moz as stated on a few occasions " we are Morrissey"

At the end of the day , Morrissey is very quick to walk away from people such as Gary , spencer and alain but this band of his at the moment , they are atrocious , very very bad bunch of musicians and he won't drop them , but he craves a record deal.

I nearly wet myself at some of tobias efforts at johnny and Alains songs....

"I find it difficult to move around because of cell phones, cell phones, cell phones--everywhere you look, people are transfixed by their own cell phones, or shouting their business so that you're forced to overhear. The cell phone nation is grotesque and irritating beyond belief. I miss the large record stores. I think it's so sad that they've been wiped out. I mean, who would ever have thought it likely? Yet Bed Bath & Beyond survives. Why?"

I could not agree more - I live in NYC and this is my biggest pet peave - the sheep walking and talking to their iPhone 5's all day! I hate it!

" I didn't want to be a solo artist"

What complete and utter bull shit. They carried on as the smiths with the guitarist out of Easter house ( can't think of his name ) and when mozz didn't feel it wasn't working he gets mike to fire him...Then Stephen street in a recent interview states that Morrissey wanted to get as far away from the smiths as possible...
He has always wanted to be a solo artist because by all accounts he hated being in the smiths.
He really needs to listen and read about what others say before he gives his answer because time and again he is being found out as a liar.

Morrissey has never once been a solo artist. He hasn't written a note of music or played a single musical instrument since leaving the Smiths.
He's only ever been the singer and the lyric writer in a pop group. The first pop group (with which he found fame) went by the name of the Smiths. He's been in lots of different pop groups ever since then with lots of different songwriters and musicians. But every one of those pop groups has been promoted and marketed simply using the name 'Morrissey'.
Graham Coxon is a solo artist, Paul Weller is a solo artist, Ian Brown has been a solo artist, Paul McCartney is a solo artist.
Morrissey is not, has never been, and is unlikely ever to be, a solo artist.

Morrissey has never once been a solo artist. He hasn't written a note of music or played a single musical instrument since leaving the Smiths.
He's only ever been the singer and the lyric writer in a pop group. The first pop group (with which he found fame) went by the name of the Smiths. He's been in lots of different pop groups ever since then with lots of different songwriters and musicians. But every one of those pop groups has been promoted and marketed simply using the name 'Morrissey'.
Graham Coxon is a solo artist, Paul Weller is a solo artist, Ian Brown has been a solo artist, Paul McCartney is a solo artist.

Thank you for that very valuable input.

Alain Whyte would beg to differ. Look it up, stooge.

Johnny Marr is quoted as saying at the meeting at Geales that the quiffs have got to go. Get rid of a quiff and you end up with a Suedehead.

Interesting. Johnny had his hair cut short in '86 and then had it in a quiff again by '87 - why would he say they had to go? The idea of JM telling Morrissey to get rid of his quiff is hilarious. You'd have better luck telling him to cut off one of his legs.

Any source for this?

I get what you mean but when I say solo artist , he has been this , he is this.

He has total control over everything they 'produce'. I remember an interview with moz where told Alain and boz that the next album should be more noisy and hence southpaw was written.

They had to / have to write exactly what he wants.

I agree moz doesn't play an instrument , doesn't compose but he is a solo artist and people have to play fiddle to it.

At least I'm not a fruit...fruit.

:lbf: There is nothing funnier in this world than the homophobic Morrissey fan...homophobic Morrissey fan.

I like the fact that he underlines certain words in books for later reference, that's coolI wonder how many year he's been doing that, also I wonder what recent books he's read, he did mention though that he bought nothing when he was in The Strand, yeah nice little interview.

:lbf: There is nothing funnier in this world than the homophobic Morrissey fan...homophobic Morrissey fan.

Homophobia is not funny under any circumstances. But I am certain you'll agree and were being sarcastic. You really think homophobia in a Moz fan is pathetic. Want to know what is just as pathetic? A Morrissey fan who has lost all objectivity.

Homophobia is not funny under any circumstances. But I am certain you'll agree and were being sarcastic. You really think homophobia in a Moz fan is pathetic. Want to know what is just as pathetic? A Morrissey fan who has lost all objectivity.

I think it's funny how there are multiple interviews where he openly admits that heroes of his like Bowie and Bolan and Sandie Shaw completely lost their artistic and cultural relevance, and deteriorated significantly as songwriters/perfromers as their careers devolved and they got older. Yet he says this in such a way as to stay very objective, and he makes it very clear that their past glories are still nonetheless very important to him.

But he can't see it as it happens to himself. It's ludicrous.

And when anyone here suggests it, they are seen as heretics.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom