Morrissey interview in The Columbus Dispatch

Re: New interview in The Columbus Dispatch

Thanks Peter, very nice interview.

Agree totally with his thoughts about solitude and it was interesting to hear him talk about the flipside of fame, worried that people would film him going about his daily life. I can't believe he read his own Wikipedia article(!).

He took a shot at Michelle? :eek: She's our quiet St. Michael spokesperson! He's sleeping on the couch tonight. :p

Agree totally with his thoughts about solitude and it was interesting to hear him talk about the flipside of fame, worried that people would film him going about his daily life. I can't believe he read his own Wikipedia article(!).

If he'd said he hadn't read it I wouldn't beleive that! Who in the world would not read their own Wikipedia article?

It was a great little interview though. I liked his answer to the last question. It reminded me of an interview from The Smiths days when he was asked how he would write the song "Reasons to be Cheerful". He said it would probably be an instrumental.

I don't understand,I thought it was a crass interview.
Not one reference to animal cruelty in New-Zealand either ! Why ? "Because we mus'nt"

Lovely little interview. I especially liked this "Or, more likely and more preferably, I’d accept life’s glass as it is: half-empty or half-full and mind my own business." There's a lesson in that.

Also Morrissey acknowledges that it was the fans camping outside his home in L.A which drove him away. A shame that it had to come to that.

There's been a few times now where Morrissey is really acknowledging being single and of being alone most of the time. For all of Morrissey's influence and fame, his circle of true friends is tiny. Not all of us are lucky to have a bus load of friends. It's reassuring to know that it's ok to be by yourself even when you're older.

"Wikipedia names Dusty Springfield as my first influence. I don’t actually think I’ve ever even mentioned her name — and I was never remotely a fan."

Not sure why he said this. He definitely mentioned being a fan of Dusty Springfield in The South Bank Show interview

"Wikipedia names Dusty Springfield as my first influence. I don’t actually think I’ve ever even mentioned her name — and I was never remotely a fan."

Not sure why he said this. He definitely mentioned being a fan of Dusty Springfield in The South Bank Show interview

Maybe he was slugging back a hotel room coffee cup full of Pinot while writing this interview. I get super forgetful when I'm blotto.

Great interview.

Love this part...

Q: Given your lyrics and experience, is isolation underrated? Why does society so often begrudge loners?

A: Probably because most people are terrified of being left alone with their own thoughts, so they can’t understand why anyone would willingly want solitude.

The only decent conversations I ever have are usually with myself. If you let them, people will suck the life out of you and then make you feel guilty for wanting to get away from them. It takes a lifetime to learn to stand your ground.

Oh yeah? Prove it. Post the video.

This-is-What-you-Feel-When-Your-Internet-is-Down.jpg

This is the first press I've seen for the show here (Columbus) that is less than a week away. There are still tickets left. Hopefully the free papers that come out today have some nice big ads and the student community (almost 60,000 people) gets alerted that he's going to be here.

If he can't sell out a University town with 60,000 students he might as well pack in.
Put up a poster in the Uni Bar. "Morrissey playing here ....attend or regret it for the rest of your life"
That should do it.

If he can't sell out a University town with 60,000 students he might as well pack in.
Put up a poster in the Uni Bar. "Morrissey playing here ....attend or regret it for the rest of your life"
That should do it.

I agree..... but think of it this way. When you were 18-22 yrs., what were you listening to and what artists were you going to see live? I bet it wasn't a 53 year old guy.

It was between 15 and 16 that I saw The Smiths. Just four times.
Between 18 and 22 I saw New Order, Happy Mondays, The Wedding Present.
I've seen a lot more live bands since those days.
Best I've EVER seen are Half Man Half Biscuit.
See you in Newcastle on 15th November.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom