Morrissey interview in Radionica (Colombia)

Very interesting interview. Many references to God. He seem to have reconcile himself with David Bowie. He would like to sing with Bowie and with Tom Jones!. He does not like any version of The Smiths songs...¡except How soon is now by Tatu!

Here is the complete interview translated (excuse me for any mistake)

Q: This is your first time in Colombia. You have a great range of songs ranging from your years in The Smiths to your recent solo albums. How do you select the repertoire for an audience that has been waiting for you in all these years?

A: Quite simply, singing the songs that I like. If I let go by the dictatorship of the audience, then it would be a travel agent.

Q: Literary influences are well known in your work. British classical poets are cited in your first stage. Today, do you think you still have those influences? If so, what are the authors you read the most today?

A: There are no modern poets. Poetry published in Britain is a joke. John Betjeman was our last great poet. He was magnificent. I think that poetry, in any case, is a personal taste. For too long, pop singers took references from poetry. But that is dead. If you can find something in the current pop, inspiring, you are either crazy or very lucky.

Q: You grew up as part of the vinyl era, and later you saw a growth of the - independent - alternative movement and you have been critical to the major record labels. How do you consider yourself now, as a character within the music industry?

A: I am not given attention in England; although I have a solid base in the United States, media do not look at me. This is because I do not sing about supermodels or women in cars. Thus, I am ignored. No one knows what to do with me. There has been no time when this has been different, even if my audience is growing considerably.
Historically, I have a unique and fantastic position. I have never been offered a British music award (Brit Award) and this proves that I am important.

Q: Several artists have recorded versions of The Smiths or Morrissey. Have you had a chance to hear some? What is your opinion about them?

A: Of my solo songs, there are versions of Nancy Sinatra, David Bowie, Chrissie Hynde, Marianne Faithful and Thelma Houston. I kneel down every day and thank God, because it goes beyond my dreams. David Bowie took me one night to his studio in New York and played a version of one of my songs. I cried for a week. Of anything for what I have prayed in my life, I never imagined that I would be given so much.

Of the songs of The Smiths, I'm surprised that there has not been a great version. I loved the version that made the Russian group Tatu, of How soon is now? I thought it would be a great success, but it was a failure!

When someone does a cover of The Smiths or Morrissey, I fully appreciate this with tears of happiness. It is the last great respect.

Q: A few years ago, you were the curator of the Meltdown festival. If you have the opportunity to do it again or be the curator of another festival by these days, what groups or artists would you choose?

A: It would be very difficult at present. I would be very grateful to God if I had the first options initially.

I love with my heart Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, Buffy Sainte-Marie, David Bowie; they are persons I am very indebted with. With no doubt, my beloved New York Dolls and Sparks were available for the Meltdown festival in 2004; Sacha Distel also agreed, but his health failed and a few weeks later, he died.

I also like Tom Jones, I would like to sing with him. I asked Brigitte Bardot if she could sing in Meltdown, but she said she could not.

No current bands interest me. None of them tells me something new.

Q: As a music fan, do you still buy albums? Do you like to see new bands?

A: I feel I could buy CDs and vinyl for the rest of my life. But the industry says no.

I do not want to download. I want to hold a disc in my hands and feel the importance of it remaining as a physical piece of art. The record labels are going to realize this soon and will adjust.

There is much in the virtual world without having to refer to seize records. Otherwise, we can all go to bed and stayed there until die.

Q: Are you interested in acting or being in the film industry? Or do you want to stay in the music industry?

A: I haven’t got offers to do anything. I've been watching the British actor Carl Rice in a program called Shameless and I do envy the way...¿?
Surely, I can act better than George Clooney, but who is not able to do better than him?

Q: Years ago, you recorded songs with Siouxsie Sioux and Chryssie Hynde (The Pretenders). Would you like to do that again and with whom?

A: I would like to sing If “I Can Dream” with Tom Jones or “You've Lost That Lovin 'Feelin'” with David Bowie. People do not usually come to me to ask me this, because they think I'm a little crazy. In fact, I'm not, they can ask to my psychiatrist.

God he can go on can't he? That crying crap. You really cried for a week? Jayzus!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom