Morrissey interview in news.com.au - won't return to Brisbane for being heckled

Morrissey on avoiding Brisbane and only playing in Australian venues where no meat will be served - News.com.au

Excerpts:

In an exclusive interview Morrissey explained his unconventional tour path.

“I didn’t want to return to Brisbane because I’ve played there twice and on both nights I was heckled, which doesn’t bother me that much, but even if I reply with something snazzy, the heckler always wins because the night has been soured and we no longer feel welcome. That’s life.”

The former Smiths frontman is bypassing Sydney after playing four Sydney-only shows at last year’s Vivid Festival.

He last played Brisbane in 2012.

“I suppose there are people who think of Australia only in terms of Sydney and Melbourne, but I’m not one of them.”

As with his Vivid Festival stint, all the venues on his Australian tour will only be able to serve meat-free food, both in backstage catering and food on sale to the public.

Morrissey, 57, said he will now only play venues who agree to this part of his contract.

“I wish more artists would adopt this,” he said. “But we go to China this year and it’s such a flesh-eaters paradise that we feel certain there will be skewered dog for sale somewhere. The halls in Taiwan and Iceland would not go flesh-free, so we refused to book the dates. It’s a matter of humanitarian progress.”

...“There are laws of protection for dogs, so why not for cows? If you can be prosecuted for cruelty to a dog, then why not a cow? Doesn’t everything have the right to lead a natural life? Animals have nothing at all but the enjoyment of their lives ... so why take that away from them? It’s the flesh-eaters that are the true cranks, and the farmers who look upon sheep and cows as their property. If you have a cat you don’t refer to it as property. It is morally wrong to make money from the death of any living being.”

...A presale for Frontier Touring members starts August 3 at 2pm and ends on August 4 at 4pm.

General public tickets go on sale this Friday at 10am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh here we go, it's started :cool: hogwash publicity/statements in the build up to performances.
You are the Crank Steven :mock:
Apll this "snazz/spin" does not wash.
Each time you perform in China you support the dog eating process.
Animals are your tool in business, shame on you !

Manchester hecklers ! Make sure you're in fine form/voice :guitar::brows:
It's time to finish this CrankFraud business.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Benny, you are the crank, you are....and leave Moz alone, you are banned from Manchester.:banned:

I would have thought his skin would thicken not soften over time.
I can remember many incidents in the 80's where, if he had the same logic then, he'd of left early or not played at all. There were many overzealous/over enthusiastic Smiths fans attending the gigs I can fully remember - I'm guessing the sensitivity later on in life has other explanations than anything 'snazzy'.
Regards,
FWD

Last edited:
o the poor little girl was heckled. waaaaaaa!!

that boyfriend of his doesnt leave his side apparently. He should lose him in public if he wants to keep up humappearances ffS>

Oh here we go, it's started :cool: hogwash publicity/statements in the build up to performances.
You are the Crank Steven :mock:
All this "snazz/spin" does not wash.
Each time you perform in China you support the dog eating process.
Animals are your tool in business, shame on you !

Manchester hecklers ! Make sure you're in fine form/voice :guitar::brows:
It's time to finish this CrankFraud business.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:
:thumbsup:

A 100 Australian Dollars?? f***ing hell I hope he out brings out Buncer and Kerry Mangel at that price, and Ailsa Stewart too
$100 AUD is expensive to you? When was the last time you went to a concert? That's cheap!

Mozza seems to have forgotten that he has actually been to Brisbane three times.

Once in 1991 when he played his first ever Australian gig at Festival Hall and then cancelled the rest of the tour.

The other times were at the 2002 Livid Festival and then at the Convention Centre in 2012.

I think he was heckled in 2002 by Liam and Noel Gallagher when they stood at the side of his stage after Oasis had played their slot. To be fair, I don't really think they were heckling, but being massive supporters which was good to see.

I remember in 2012 when he ended by saying many many goodbyes thinking he won't return. Sadly, seems it was true! Wasn't really the right venue choice at the time. Cheap flights to Newcastle?

He does seem soured in this video, he was really really happy when we left him in Vegas ,so don't ruin Morrissey's mood with dumb insensitive comments this tour.

Maybe I'm blind or deaf (or both) but I don't see Moz being heckled or unhappy in that video. He should be unhappy with the way the band mangle that song but that's for another discussion.

Maybe I'm blind or deaf (or both) but I don't see Moz being heckled or unhappy in that video. He should be unhappy with the way the band mangle that song but that's for another discussion.
That's not a clip of him being heckled. It's just a clip of that gig.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom