Morrissey interview in FasterLouder - "Cakes, Brexit and country music"

Cakes, Brexit, and country music: We chat with Morrissey - FasterLouder
by Lachlan Kanoniuk
21 October 2016

...As he touches down in Australia, we sent Morrissey a range of questions. He dutifully responded. Enjoy.

Excerpt:

Not to frivolously conflate mortality and artistry – but do you see yourself as a survivor, both in health and as a musician with a long career?
I think it’s already happened if anyone took the trouble to chart my personal journey since The Smiths ended. But few do. Factually, I would trade the entire Smiths catalogue for World Peace Is None Of Your Business, but it’s also true that you are continually seen as however you were when you first appeared. That’s life. That’s death!

I am continually dismayed by his UKIP tendencies. "As for Brexit, the result was magnificent". Well it's a f***ing good job you don't have to live with the falling exchange rates, companies leaving in their droves, a huge rise in racial attacks and years more of uncertainty. Tit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say his interviews from Ringleader onwards have been redundant. Best not to read them these days as it's like having to listen to your embarrassing uncle spouting off about immigrants etc.

Morrissey would probably fit in well with all the ex pats living in Spain who want to go back to living in the 1950's. At least they can rejoice in "taking their country back". From who, we're not sure. Brexit should never have gone to a referendum as it was voted for by people totally unqualified to make that sort of decision. I'd include myself in that. Why meddle in something you don't understand?

Why bother having General Elections then? How many people read party manifestos from front to back?

Stop voting wrong you bastards!

Morrissey would probably fit in well with all the ex pats living in Spain who want to go back to living in the 1950's. At least they can rejoice in "taking their country back".

What have you got against expats living in Spain. They voted overwhelmingly remain anyway, for the obvious reason that they didn't want to be kicked out of the country or made to pay for public services.

What have you got against expats living in Spain. They voted overwhelmingly remain anyway, for the obvious reason that they didn't want to be kicked out of the country or made to pay for public services.

Interesting. Do you have a source for this, some figures?

I'd say his interviews from Ringleader onwards have been redundant. Best not to read them these days as it's like having to listen to your embarrassing uncle spouting off about immigrants etc.

Morrissey would probably fit in well with all the ex pats living in Spain who want to go back to living in the 1950's. At least they can rejoice in "taking their country back". From who, we're not sure. Brexit should never have gone to a referendum as it was voted for by people totally unqualified to make that sort of decision. I'd include myself in that. Why meddle in something you don't understand?

Or, to be more accurate, there should have been a referendum before so many of the country's powers were given away.

A poll back in 2004 stated that 80% of people wanted a referendum on the EU back then, before its expansion. If people had been given the choice back then, it would have solved a hell of a lot of later problems.

you people can argue over brexit and the smiths vs. wpinoyb all you like. im just going to sit here and imagine morrissey eating cake :love:

Funnily enough, I have seen first hand on an expat group the cries of "fearmongering!" when it was suggested that migration restrictions for EU nationals in the UK would necessarily have to be reciprocated for Brits living in Europe...

Speaking of having your cake...

Funnily enough, I have seen first hand on an expat group the cries of "fearmongering!" when it was suggested that migration restrictions for EU nationals in the UK would necessarily have to be reciprocated for Brits living in Europe...

Speaking of having your cake...

And eat it.
Good assist. Why not kick it in? :)

I reckon I am proud I have no idea what Brickxit means and if the Cats beat the Proddys in Kickball at O2 Fly Emerates Kickball Stadium.

"The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.” - Mikhail Gorbachev

"The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.” - Mikhail Gorbachev

Well as he nor anyone else seems to have solved that puzzle yet, I really wonder if there is any determination at all, at anything by those Western European leaders.
Lack of determination is not something we can accuse the Eastern European leader of, cause there is only one I am afraid.
And that scares me.

Europe and Britain continue to thrash through the fallout from the British public's decision to leave the EU four months ago, but as far as Morrissey's concerned, the results were "magnificent".

The famously outspoken former Smiths front-man discussed Brexit in a recent interview with Australian magazine Faster Louder, saying that the media, rather than the actual events, are responsible for any negative portrayal of political events such as a possible recession.

Morrissey said:

The British political class has never quite been so hopeless, but the same can be said for the USA. What has happened is that news media can no longer attach any nobility to old-style politics because although politicians do not and cannot change, the people the world over have changed. What could be more grotesquely stupid than the Clinton-Trump coverage? As for Brexit, the result was magnificent, but it is not accepted by the BBC or Sky News because they object to a public that cannot be hypnotised by BBC or Sky nonsense. These news teams are exactly the same as Fox and CNN in that they all depend on public stupidity in order to create their own myth of reality. Watch them at your peril!

It's not the first time Morrissey has voiced anti-EU sentiment or railed against the media. In August he told Israeli website Walla! that the BBC had “persistently denigrated” Leave supporters in the wake of the referendum, a claim that the corporation denied.

"I am shocked at the refusal of the British media to be fair and accept the people’s final decision just because the result of the referendum did not benefit the establishment.

"It was a shock to hear how the BBC persistently denigrated everyone who voted to Leave.

"They have managed to accuse, judge and convict the majority as racist, drunk and irresponsible."

In the past Morrissey has publicly supported former Ukip leader Nigel Farage, saying he "likes him a great deal", although that he only "nearly voted for Ukip".

In 2012, the NME apologised after Morrissey began proceedings for libel against them for printing a quote in which the singer allegedly said, "The gates of England are flooded. The country's been thrown away".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/morrissey-brexit-was-magnificent/

Can't agree with ukip or with the leave voters but I do think it true that the whole lot have been pretty negatively painted as racists and uneducated which I don't believe. Same with trump voters. Not all are stupid white power voters

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom