Morrissey interview in El País

“Los toreros son alimañas: se deberían matar entre ellos” (Bullfighters are vermin. They should kill each other.) - El País
DIEGO A. MANRIQUE Madrid 4 OCT 2014

Improved Google translation (the editorializing is the author’s, not mine):

Astonishment between the interviewer and the promoters. Morrissey (Manchester, 1959) has offered to respond to a questionnaire and, hours later, the answers arrive. Journalists distrust interviews done by mail: in theory, anyone can impersonate the interviewee. But the answers are unequivocally morrisseyesque. In their acute malevolence, their recognizable narcissism, their stubbornness in turning things to his advantage. The former leader of the Smiths will perform in Madrid on Thursday and in Barcelona on Friday.

There are inevitable subjects, obviously. Like his controversial Autobiography, published in the Penguin Classics collection. It’s nothing to do with the current wave of books written by rock stars, he insists: "It surprises me that there are so many who actually think they have something to say! When you read their books, it turns out that they don’t. My Autobiography exists, it is self-explanatory. So I am not going to talk about the book on television, radio or in written media."

He also wants to clear up his bolt from the Harvest label, three weeks after releasing his new album, World Peace is None of Your Business. He mainly denies it: “I didn’t leave, they threw me out! They tried to keep my record but they discovered that they did not have the rights. A very stupid mess, caused by an executive named Steve Barnett, who has less brains than an artificial flower. The fact that someone like that is in charge of a label is a sign of how bad things are in the musical world. "

He makes no distinction between the three multinationals and the abundant independents: "Rough Trade has gone down in history for having the Smiths, yet never inviting us to a meal to celebrate the success." According to Morrissey, it is not profitable either to go on tour, although tickets for his Spanish concerts cost 50 euros: "I do not get rich by touring. All the money that is generated is invested in doing things. Many people ask me what is the point of bothering with tours and I say, this is my life. "

A key part of his existence is to fight animal abuse. He assures that his opposition to bullfighting is nothing new. In the legendary Smiths concert in Madrid, during the festival of San Isidro 1985, broadcast by TVE, "I remember telling the public 'I've seen your national sport and it is not very nice'. Obviously killing bulls is no sport: it is torture."

Now, he is more hurtful. His latest album contains The Bullfighter Dies, a song – you will excuse me – musically and literarily tasteless, where he celebrates the death of any bullfighter. His argument is this: "My understanding is that those who attend want to see death: what is the difference between the death of the bull or the matador? Both are beings who want to live and which feel pain. The matador has the picador and other helpers that help him to torment the bull, who is alone and should have our sympathy. It is the matador who has decided that this occurs and the bull is the victim; human instinct should always be to protect the victim. Bullfighters are vermin: they should kill one another. "

Morrissey always comes to interviews with guns loaded. A question about social networks leads him to fire at monarchies: "The networks have good and bad points. Suddenly, everyone is an expert ... and no matter that he has never left his bedroom. But dictators and so-called royalty cannot do what they want anymore: the entire world is watching and can depose those who betray their trust. King Juan Carlos was shamed when they caught him killing endangered species. Elephants are wonderful, calm, wise ... it’s such a repulsive thing he did! How is it that he is not in jail?"

He explains his decision to leave the UK and live in California for similar reasons: "I cannot endure the British royal family and it pains me that part of my taxes end up in the hands of those embarrassing parasites. They offer nothing to the world and are always on vacation in exotic places, killing animals, all with public money. They do not represent England and are are as much dictators as the Assad family in Syria, so we cannot dismantle their platform (?) with good manners: they will throw you to the police. You only have to look what will happen in Hong Kong. "

In case there was any doubt, Morrissey insists that the world is heading for ecological destruction, if a nuclear apocalypse doesn’t happen first: "Industrial agriculture and animal breeders are destroying the planet. Every time I see the yellow M of McDonald's I think of death. Governments tolerate whatever brings money; they benefit from the inclination of the human race to suicide. It amuses me that there are countries where attempted suicide is punished while the governments spend millions on nuclear weapons, which facilitate collective suicide. They just have to use them once for us all to disappear from here. "

Meanwhile, Morrissey must confront vexing moral and aesthetic dilemmas. He opens his heart: "I have a problem with synthetic leather shoes. I stopped using fake leather jackets because people became confused and accused me of using real leather. It's easy to stop eating meat and forget about eggs and milk: immediately you feel better ethically and physically. But the synthetic leather shoes are more uncomfortable than genuine leather. It is the last barrier for those who do not want to exploit animals in any way. "

(Sidebar)

Secrets and lies of the industry
Morrissey agrees to list the main secrets of the record business.
Take note:
1. The number one position on the charts is normally bought.
2. A label can sign an artist to bury him.
3. A company issues a press release saying their new discovery has sold 30 million records, when the actual figure is 30,000, but the media make it official truth.
4. The label strives to pay nothing and move all expenses to the artist, so that its income is clean profit.
5. Before listening to a record, the executives have already decided if it will triumph or not in the market.
6. The bosses are all men; the women who work in the industry are eternally girls, even if they are 52 years old.
7. Grammy Awards are previously divided between the labels, so that its executives can boast that they are au courant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to read that one.
When a person says they are a pessimist it makes other people uncomfortable because it is associated with depression. The contention with Realitybites is based on this.

You are incorrect. Pessimism is a temperamental trait. As I have already stated. Depression is a clinical disease. One can be a pessimist and not be depressed. Just as one can be an optimist and suffer with depression. My problem with pessimists is that they have a negative outlook on life which is toxic. They are Debbie downers--no fun to be around. I like being around positive people--positive energy. That, my dear, is my problem with pessimists.

These are all just labels and like I said earlier you can be pessimistic and still fight for what's right. Being a Realist as pointed out by Adeptly_Inept is a more truthful stance.

I never said pessimists are defeatists or nihilists. Though many are. Nothing wrong with labels. We label things all the time. Those opposed to labeling should get that reality check they are due for. I am a realist as well. I see good and bad--that is a truthful stance. But I focus on the good in life and in people. You focus on the bad things. This is why all your posts are negative and death-oriented. I bet if I surveyed those who know you in real life, they would state that you are a negative thinker. You probably don't even realize how your outlook effects those around you. It literally can be a contagious pathogen--bringing others down. You can spread negativity or joy. I choose to spread joy.

This is what I like about Morrissey, even though he knows that Life is a pigsty....he speaks out for the animals and for what he thinks is right. He hasn't given up. Good for him.

Morrissey is the epitome of a pessimist. I don't really see how that is such an admirable trait. He tells us that eating meat is murder and that we should not vote. I don't see how this is solving any of the world's problems. He is an entertainer who shares his opinions in the press--because he is given a platform. Many others do so much more in their local communities to help change things. They do it with humility. Morrissey is not hero worthy. That you choose to honor him with this status is perplexing.

Last edited:
I've had my heart set on the cutest pair of quality boots at REI I've not purchased that I want to purchase so badly now. :cool:

Why did he give zero interviews for the US tour? So disappointing.

Except he never says here that he still wears leather shoes. He says that synthetic ones are problematic because they are uncomfortable, but never says that therefore he wears real leather. Why is this so difficult to understand? No wonder he doesn't like to do interviews...people are determined to assume the worst.

I remember seeing a GQ photo shoot he did where all of the clothes were labeled as being from some designer or other, except for the shoes, which were always labeled "Morrissey's own". Surely this is because he insisted on wearing non- leather shoes? But never mind, he's already been convicted for something he didn't say, ffs let the pillorying continue. :rolleyes:

I hope that you are right; that there was some ambiguity in the translation. I read it to mean that he had given up on fake leather because of it being uncomfortable, which would imply that he had returned to wearing real leather shoes. If you read my posts, I am not a Morrissey basher; I will gladly leap to his defense if I think that he is being unfairly attacked. However, you can't be an ardent advocate for an issue, attacking others for non-compliance, and then break the rules yourself. It screams of hypocrisy, and I certainly don't want another negative label attached to Morrissey. If your interpretation is correct, I happily apologize, to you and my beloved.

lynnda

I've had my heart set on the cutest pair of quality boots at REI I've not purchased that I want to purchase so badly now. :cool:

I'm always getting crushed when I see an adorable pair of shoes in a magazine and then learn they are leather or calf hair and I can't buy them.

You are incorrect.

I choose to spread joy.

. Morrissey is not hero worthy. That you choose to honor him with this status is perplexing.

Your desire to put every issue discussed into a "dictionary" box and point out the error of everyone else is very amusing....and understandable. I love the joy you spread:straightface:.... I just read back over our exchange here and feel I've explained my self pretty well.

I respect Morrissey as an artist.....I don't agree with everything he says but he is very entertaining when he speaks. Anyway you've given me an idea for a different signature....thanks.

Your desire to put every issue discussed into a "dictionary" box and point out the error of everyone else is very amusing....and understandable. I love the joy you spread:straightface:.... I just read back over our exchange here and feel I've explained my self pretty well.

I respect Morrissey as an artist.....I don't agree with everything he says but he is very entertaining when he speaks. Anyway you've given me an idea for a different signature....thanks.

Mad props for watering a dead plant. :D

I hope that you are right; that there was some ambiguity in the translation. I read it to mean that he had given up on fake leather because of it being uncomfortable, which would imply that he had returned to wearing real leather shoes. If you read my posts, I am not a Morrissey basher; I will gladly leap to his defense if I think that he is being unfairly attacked. However, you can't be an ardent advocate for an issue, attacking others for non-compliance, and then break the rules yourself. It screams of hypocrisy, and I certainly don't want another negative label attached to Morrissey. If your interpretation is correct, I happily apologize, to you and my beloved.

lynnda

I lurk here enough to know that you are not a Morrissey basher, which is why I was nicer when I responded directly to you earlier. :) I just got annoyed with people piling on.

With this article in particular I am a bit suspicious of the wording, both because I detect a distinct tone of dislike or even comtempt for Morrissey from the author of the article in the Spanish version (not sure if that came through on the translation) and because unlike other emailed interviews where the questions and answers are presented clearly, this author chose to wrap his own words around Morrissey's in more of an article style. So, we don't know if something that he said was left out, or what question he was responding to. Perhaps in this case the question was, "What aspect of living a 100% vegan lifestyle do you find most challenging?" which would cast his answer in a somewhat different light. It's possible that his response was deliberately presented in such a way as to be misleading. It's happened before. I suspect that Morrissey's full original answer would not contain the ambiguity of the statement as presented in the article. There's no way to know, but I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think Morrissey is important. I don't know where you got that impression. He has become an utter irrelevance. He hasn't sold out though, I'll give him that. Tickets are still available for most dates.

ah, well then, odd you would spend your limited time addressing an utter irrelevance.

from "dangerous" to irrelevant -- as the wind blows, i suppose.

Is Morrissey the new David Icke? That "list" is paranoid, petulant nonsense and makes him sound unhinged, inventing conspiracies and vendettas to avoid taking responsibility for his own failures.

Not sure what you mean by 'failures'. It is never wrong to attempt taking full control your artistic work and how it gets presented to your fans… if the industry wants to go in another direction that's one thing- he can choose to opt out… but what if the industry has told him one thing and done another… i may be wrong, but I believe it happens a lot with marketing, royalties, etc.

I have to disagree with M on this one. There are more choices than ever if you are looking for synthetic leather, and the styles are far better than they use to be. Even if that wasn't the case, whose suffering is more significant: a man in uncomfortable shoes or a cow having its hide ripped from its flesh? It's difficult to say that you are 100% vegan because there can always be a hidden ingredient or manufacturing process that defeats your goal; however, giving up leather is not difficult if you are truly committed. Morrissey is one of the most vocal vegetarians in the world, but his message would have a much greater impact if he showed more consistency. I love Morrissey, but wearing another animal's skin is as bad as eating another animal's flesh. There is absolutely no difference between wearing fur and wearing leather.

lynnda

Re-read the interview. I can't see where he says that he wears leather. Can you?

I have to agree with Lynnda on this point: pleather has come a long way. I wear non-leather boots and shoes, and they are comfortable (and stylish) as heck. Dr. Martens has a whole line of faux-leather footwear that is indistinguishable from the real thing (and they wear just as well). The problem is that they run through styles so quickly these days; if you fall in love with a pair of shoes you'd better buy two, because you won't be able to find them again.

Morrissey needs some classic 8-Eye vegan Docs: he'd look fantastic, and he'd feel comfortable, too.

I have to agree with Lynnda on this point: pleather has come a long way. I wear non-leather boots and shoes, and they are comfortable (and stylish) as heck. Dr. Martens has a whole line of faux-leather footwear that is indistinguishable from the real thing (and they wear just as well). The problem is that they run through styles so quickly these days; if you fall in love with a pair of shoes you'd better buy two, because you won't be able to find them again.

Morrissey needs some classic 8-Eye vegan Docs: he'd look fantastic, and he'd feel comfortable, too.

Boz bought him a vegan pair on the last us tour.

He would look amazing in straight cut jeans and docs.

i can attest to the faux leather docs. ive a pair of ankle high ones since forever and theyre great for comfort

~ Break out the talc boys!

16259469018_f08a4076dd_o.jpg

16445379311_7f0fc51555_o.jpg

16261237427_964d866631_o.jpg

16260898519_a86305ab75_o.jpg

...:brows:

~ Break out the talc boys!

16259469018_f08a4076dd_o.jpg

16445379311_7f0fc51555_o.jpg

16261237427_964d866631_o.jpg

16260898519_a86305ab75_o.jpg

...:brows:

I was sad to read that Alvin Stardust had died.

best
BB

PS: These are the funniest photos I've ever seen of Morrissey. All he needs is a peaked hat & sunglasses for the whole Tom Of Finland at The Black Cap look. And no, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if his togs are leather. Or is it a vinyl sweat-suit so he can lose a few pounds? Why would any sane man actually dress this way other than for a fancy dress party. Is that what this is? Hilarious stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29741028

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom