Morrissey interview: "I Prefer It When They Don't Understand" by Caroline North / Dallas Observer

Morrissey: "I Prefer It When They Don't Understand" - Dallas Observer

A brief interview.
The relevant part of the article:

"In our email exchange with Morrissey he answers questions about everything from his public image to his favorite vegan recipe, and we see a more gracious side to the artist than has typically appeared in the media as of late.

Who are you reading right now?
I'm following the daily flood of reports on Predicament Trump and his administration. He's very exhausting, isn't he? Mad magazine finally comes to life.

Is there something you wish people knew or understood about you?
I prefer it when they don't understand.

Which song are you most proud of? Are there any you dislike and would prefer to never play again?
I'm proud of most of them. There's only three or four which I think are ridiculous — which isn't a bad percentage.

One thing your lyrics quickly became known for was their melancholiness. Have you ever felt confined by that?
I feel elevated by this because life is, in actual fact, absolutely melancholic, so therefore there's instantly a common truth in expressing melancholia, whereas not many people can relate to the assumption of compulsive happiness. We all die ... which, on the face of it, isn't terribly funny.

If you were a teenager today, what kind of band do you think you'd be in? Or would you be in a band at all?
I wouldn't feel hopeful enough to start a band if I were a teenager today. It all seems so fixed and censored and restricted. I think this is because the artists must now serve the music industry, whereas in the '70s and '80s the music industry served the artists.

This made an incredible difference whereby just about anything could happen in the singles chart. Now, everything has a cast-iron predictability about it. We know exactly whose sales will be hoisted to 10 million, and we know exactly who will be showered with Grammys. Surprise is no longer possible.

How do you conceive of the role of politics in music?
I think it's urgent and essential, but many artists won't touch it because any declaration might lose sales if a certain faction of society disagrees with you. When McDonna [Madonna] recently slammed Trump, she instantly apologized. But what was sincere? Her apology, or her hatred of Trump? She obviously heard that a music store in Gooseneck, Arkansas, would no longer stock her albums.

Is there anything you haven't accomplished yet, whether inside or outside your career, that you would like to?
I have surpassed my own expectations many, many, many times.

Are there any new bands or musicians you like?
Not passionately.

What do you think about the new biopic coming out, England Is Mine? Do you have any hopes for it?
I wasn't approached or consulted by the filmmakers, so I think it's safe to make all the logical assumptions that arise from that. Yikes, I believe, is the common expression.

Do you have a favorite vegan recipe you can share?
I absolutely recommend vegan milk alternatives, which are fantastic. As we all now know, dairy farms are hell if you happen to be a cow. There's enough misery in the world without adding to it by buying cow's milk. Amen and hallelujah."

Regards,
FWD.
(Thanks to RF for the heads up).

I'm off to take cover as I'm sure there will be 'lolz'-a-plenty with the vegan milk comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2005, he answered something similar when I asked the question on TTY:

Q:

Of all your songs, from both Smiths and solo material, which song are you most proud of lyrically?

Best wishes,

Peter Finan
Haworth, West Yorkshire, England

A:

hello Peter
It's impossible to answer this because I'm proud of most of them. There are only a few that make me shudder – such as "Get Off The Stage," "Journalists Who Lie," "I Don't Owe You Anything".... But most of them, I think, somehow stand the test of time. Of course, some songs are better than others...
Nice one Peter. I always liked 'I don't owe you anything'. I never liked 'London' although sometimes find myself singing it, which is weird. Golden Lights is a bit naff. I hate Sweetie Pie although a lot of people seem to really like that one.

I don't think Americans really use the word papa. Agree that's when he turned towards some American language and influences and I agree that it continues to tick off some brits but I don't think that's a great example. It's to bad about roys keen as yes the lyrics are daft but it's still got a giant hook

I'm in the film as an extra. I play a Buzzcocks gig goer pogoing next to the young Linder and Moz.
I was disappointed to espy the actor playing Moz eating fish and chips on his dinner break.

Didn't seem to be a particularly big budget affair. We shall see.

I'm in the film as an extra. I play a Buzzcocks gig goer pogoing next to the young Linder and Moz.
I was disappointed to espy the actor playing Moz eating fish and chips on his dinner break.

A big budget doesn't necessarily produce a good movie.

Interesting! Not that every actor has to be Daniel Day-Lewis and completely absorb a role off-camera, but I am a tiny bit surprised that the actor playing Moz would be seen eating fish.

Hes an actor and was chosen for his ability to act and probably not his similarities to Morrisseys beliefs. When off camera it's pretty likely that he just acts like himself. True that money doesn't always make a great film but it can help a good script crew and cast make one though. It's also hard to judge what the budget is based on the observation of an extra not offense meant. A lot of time money can be spent on quality of film cameras salary or editing and not nessesarily just set or costume. A good budget can also just buy time which is extremely useful to making a good movie.well see though. A lot of the time these things just tend to be middle of the road and enjoyable for fans

Nice one Peter. I always liked 'I don't owe you anything'. I never liked 'London' although sometimes find myself singing it, which is weird. Golden Lights is a bit naff. I hate Sweetie Pie although a lot of people seem to really like that one.
London? Are you crazy? That's a class.

I was glad to hear him comment (for the first time...i think) about the movie. As others have said it's a shame they didn't reach out to Moz AT ALL!! But I'm not surprised. Makes me less excited to see this film...which of course I will...lol

hello Peter
It's impossible to answer this because I'm proud of most of them. There are only a few that make me shudder – such as "Get Off The Stage," "Journalists Who Lie," "I Don't Owe You Anything".... But most of them, I think, somehow stand the test of time. Of course, some songs are better than others...

"I Don't Owe You Anything" is a beautiful and poignant song. I'm surprised it would make his list.

Too freely on your lips
Words prematurely sad
Oh, but I know what will make you smile tonight

I really hope that important people like James Maker are in the film. His first meeting with Moz where they were persecuted by some beer monsters just has to be made into a film scene.

Not much of interesting news here.
2 things though are a bit curious.
1. He isn't reading any book now that inspires him in any way.
Just following any news about the orange POTUS. o_O

2. He prefers it people not understanding him. (Sigh)
I don't understand him either and prefer that too.
Understandance is boring, satisfying and leads to stagnation.
I hope he will fulfill the high rised expectations with the planned concerts and a new album but don't count on it.

Trump is everyone's obsession. He is by far the most famous person on earth. Quite astounding.

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom