Morrissey interview: "I Prefer It When They Don't Understand" by Caroline North / Dallas Observer

Morrissey: "I Prefer It When They Don't Understand" - Dallas Observer

A brief interview.
The relevant part of the article:

"In our email exchange with Morrissey he answers questions about everything from his public image to his favorite vegan recipe, and we see a more gracious side to the artist than has typically appeared in the media as of late.

Who are you reading right now?
I'm following the daily flood of reports on Predicament Trump and his administration. He's very exhausting, isn't he? Mad magazine finally comes to life.

Is there something you wish people knew or understood about you?
I prefer it when they don't understand.

Which song are you most proud of? Are there any you dislike and would prefer to never play again?
I'm proud of most of them. There's only three or four which I think are ridiculous — which isn't a bad percentage.

One thing your lyrics quickly became known for was their melancholiness. Have you ever felt confined by that?
I feel elevated by this because life is, in actual fact, absolutely melancholic, so therefore there's instantly a common truth in expressing melancholia, whereas not many people can relate to the assumption of compulsive happiness. We all die ... which, on the face of it, isn't terribly funny.

If you were a teenager today, what kind of band do you think you'd be in? Or would you be in a band at all?
I wouldn't feel hopeful enough to start a band if I were a teenager today. It all seems so fixed and censored and restricted. I think this is because the artists must now serve the music industry, whereas in the '70s and '80s the music industry served the artists.

This made an incredible difference whereby just about anything could happen in the singles chart. Now, everything has a cast-iron predictability about it. We know exactly whose sales will be hoisted to 10 million, and we know exactly who will be showered with Grammys. Surprise is no longer possible.

How do you conceive of the role of politics in music?
I think it's urgent and essential, but many artists won't touch it because any declaration might lose sales if a certain faction of society disagrees with you. When McDonna [Madonna] recently slammed Trump, she instantly apologized. But what was sincere? Her apology, or her hatred of Trump? She obviously heard that a music store in Gooseneck, Arkansas, would no longer stock her albums.

Is there anything you haven't accomplished yet, whether inside or outside your career, that you would like to?
I have surpassed my own expectations many, many, many times.

Are there any new bands or musicians you like?
Not passionately.

What do you think about the new biopic coming out, England Is Mine? Do you have any hopes for it?
I wasn't approached or consulted by the filmmakers, so I think it's safe to make all the logical assumptions that arise from that. Yikes, I believe, is the common expression.

Do you have a favorite vegan recipe you can share?
I absolutely recommend vegan milk alternatives, which are fantastic. As we all now know, dairy farms are hell if you happen to be a cow. There's enough misery in the world without adding to it by buying cow's milk. Amen and hallelujah."

Regards,
FWD.
(Thanks to RF for the heads up).

I'm off to take cover as I'm sure there will be 'lolz'-a-plenty with the vegan milk comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Now, everything has a cast-iron predictability about it."

Spot the f***ing irony.

Madonna never apologised for slamming Trump. She merely clarified on Instagram that she's not a violent person (with regards to her blowing-up-the-White-House comment) and that people need to understand her speech in its entirety. Hardly an apology.

When it comes to opposing Trump, what exactly has Morrissey done?

Indeed.
Roy's Keen is disposable froth, but Papa Jack is a decent album track, if a bit plodding for most of the running time. But some really nice guitar work on there and a decent melancholic lyric. Killer outro. What's the problem? I think people just hate the title "Papa Jack".

Im guessing any song he booted from reissues. Roy's keen, papa jack

Indeed.
Roy's Keen is disposable froth, but Papa Jack is a decent album track, if a bit plodding for most of the running time. But some really nice guitar work on there and a decent melancholic lyric. Killer outro. What's the problem? I think people just hate the title "Papa Jack".
I just don't like the "C'mon Papa Jack" part

yes I agree ! Vegan milk = delicious and good for you & the planet! His music the very elixir of life ! drink up ! drink up !

'I found the fountain of youth and I fell in'

:thumb:

Moz's favorite vegan recipe is vegan milk. That's The Wild Turkey style of cookin'. Put on the chef's apron, put on the chef's hat, and then you pour the vegan milk in the glass. Bon appetit!

Fair enough.
I could be wrong but Maladjusted seemed to be the turning point where Moz started using more American vocab and pronunciation. "Papa" being a symptom of that, perhaps? From there the US influence grew and continues to peeve Brits.

I just don't like the "C'mon Papa Jack" part

Reckon shout out to Gooseneck, Arkansas!! I reckon that's where me 3rd cousin Charles Windsor Whales III lives!

What Difference Does It Make, Roy's Keen ...
He's on record saying Roy's Keen was a mistake. I know he doesn't like What Difference...In Autobiography he mentions his distaste for it, but I've never really understood why. I wonder if he is more displeased with the music or his lyrics. I know in general, the whole group (Morrissey and Marr) were not happy with the production of The Smiths.

Interestingly, at a Seattle show a couple of years ago, before a song he said "This song is called What Difference Does It Make" and the crowd went 'semi' wild. I even told my son, he never plays this song. Then he laughed in our faces and went into some other often played song.

I like that he acknowledges he has a couple of stinkers.

Be well all...

He's on record saying Roy's Keen was a mistake. I know he doesn't like What Difference...In Autobiography he mentions his distaste for it, but I've never really understood why. I wonder if he is more displeased with the music or his lyrics. I know in general, the whole group (Morrissey and Marr) were not happy with the production of The Smiths.

Interestingly, at a Seattle show a couple of years ago, before a song he said "This song is called What Difference Does It Make" and the crowd went 'semi' wild. I even told my son, he never plays this song. Then he laughed in our faces and went into some other often played song.

Be well all...

In 2005, he answered something similar when I asked the question on TTY:

Q:

Of all your songs, from both Smiths and solo material, which song are you most proud of lyrically?

Best wishes,

Peter Finan
Haworth, West Yorkshire, England

A:

hello Peter
It's impossible to answer this because I'm proud of most of them. There are only a few that make me shudder – such as "Get Off The Stage," "Journalists Who Lie," "I Don't Owe You Anything".... But most of them, I think, somehow stand the test of time. Of course, some songs are better than others...

Be well all...

"There's a couple of songs I don't like. In fact, I didn't really like them at the time. Like 'What Difference Does It Make', I thought was absolutely awful the day after the record was pressed..."
- Morrissey, Q, September 1992

"There are a few solo singles that embarrass me, and I never liked 'What Difference Does It Make?' by The Smiths. Over 30 years, there's bound to be a few stinkers."
- Morrissey, Philippine Daily Inquirer, 2012

"I had loved the song until its defilement on The Smiths album; the loose swain's saunter now sounded stiff and inflexible, the drums sounding too frightened to move, the voice sounding like something gone to its reward - or, at least, resting in peace.
- Morrissey, "Autobiography"

I think the quote here was regarding Cilla Black's 'Work Is A Four-Letter Word'
Yes, you are right, I stand corrected. I think this recording took place when Marr was trying to push The Smiths into broader directions, and he was getting frustrated with Morrissey wanting to do these covers.

Well done, Skinny. Respect.

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom