Morrissey interview by Lior Ashkenazi (pics)

Thank you very, very much to TuQui for providing the scans and to davdavon for taking the time to translate that. It was brilliant! Very much appreciated.

"I'm my own master on the stage. I do what I want. I decide which songs I'll sing, what the setlist will be, and if I suddenly want to sing something different, I do it."

"Did you hear that Kylie Minogue received an MBE from the Queen yesterday for her contribution to music? What exactly did she contribute to music? Can she sing? Can she write? What exactly can she do?"

Both, class quotes.

A few quotes of interest from the author too:

'he never really heard about humus and tahini' - This means he probably hasn't heard of falafel either. How does one live without it?

'There, on the stage, we discovered a different person' - How often have we heard that? It seems to be a common first impression.

'He drank quite a few Coronas and burped without shame.' - His taste in beer is poor. A a few Coronas would make anyone burp. Further proof that he is indeed human.

Who is Sarah? I'm slipping up not knowing that. I hope she is good for him and is a nice person.

Thank you very much for taking the time to translate that. It's a unique view on the World of Morrissey.

The quote "Slowly, we realise that the people who arrived there were his closest group, that we're in the most secure, guarded place in Morrissey's system" stood out for me.

Enjoy the show there at the end of the month!

Thank you very much for taking the time to translate that. It's a unique view on the World of Morrissey.

The quote "Slowly, we realise that the people who arrived there were his closest group, that we're in the most secure, guarded place in Morrissey's system" stood out for me.

Enjoy the show there at the end of the month!

^^ What he said. :D

That was extremely interesting. I hope Moz gets to go to the Dead Sea. I'm jealous of everybody who is going to see him in Tel Aviv!

Last edited:
I just want to add my thanks to TuQui and davdavon! This was a fascinating read! Morrissey admitting he favors light-colored foods and hearing that he burped after drinking his Coronas made me giggle.

Thanks for the scan TQ and the translation, davdavon - that would've taken me a fifth of Jack D and 8 or 9 days with the pocket translator! ;)

thanks again!

I'm putting the whole thing behind a spoiler tag.

I thought I posted it here, but it must have been on the main page. I hated his character so much at the end, he was so weak. I hated his family, too, but you can only be responsible for the choices you make, and he made the weakest one. Such a coward. Like his parents wouldn't have eventually come around. Parents always do. Once she gave him a son, all would have been forgiven.

Oh, and also-
Did anyone figure out where her other child was? I thought it was mentioned that she had two, but only the daughter lived with her? Had the other child died, or was (he?) living with her ex-husband?

Depending on the answer (which I suspect lies buried in the original dialogue and just didn't make it to the English subtitling,) it's kind of interesting that she may have already been forced to make a Sophie's Choice- yet when it was his turn, he failed. I can't imagine living without one of my two children.

I missed the part about her having a son.....
(Not uncommon for me to miss entire chunks of plot, sheesh!)
She was the most admirable character of the lot, I think.
She was true to herself, and once she saw the Zaza was buckling under pressure and not standing up for her, she ended it. Painful as it was for her.
She lived her life the way he should have - standing by her integrity.
I don't know if I would have let Zaza's mother back in my house, even for a reconciliation. That was very saintly on her part. I think I'd hold a grudge. Or a machete.

Thanks to all involved, a great read.

I too hate hummus, just the smell,:sick: but i LOVE falafel, which is odd as i dont generally like spicy stuff and it can be quite spicy.. :rolleyes:

I missed the part about her having a son.....
(Not uncommon for me to miss entire chunks of plot, sheesh!)
She was the most admirable character of the lot, I think.
She was true to herself, and once she saw the Zaza was buckling under pressure and not standing up for her, she ended it. Painful as it was for her.
She lived her life the way he should have - standing by her integrity.
I don't know if I would have let Zaza's mother back in my house, even for a reconciliation. That was very saintly on her part. I think I'd hold a grudge. Or a machete.

I don't know for sure that it was a son, but I thought there was a spot in the dialogue when she says that she gave her husband two children, or something like that. Or perhaps mentioned having been through two pregnancies. The idea that it was a son and that she and her exhusband 'each took one' (which seems barbaric) was my own guess. I don't remember anything in the dialogue that suggested the other child had died. Of course, the entire idea of a second child could have been a misunderstanding on my part, or a bit of bad translation.

Too bad we don't have Morrissey's email address. Then we could email him and ask him for Ashkenazi's address so we could ask him. :p

Nice read Davdavon. Is the Gal mentioned in the article our very own StillIllGal?

Mm... probably not. Gal Uchovsky is a famous Israeli journalist, music critic and scriptwriter (he wrote the script for Moz's fave Walk on Water and the rest of the Eytan Fox films that they gave him). He's also a judge on Kochav Nolad (the Israeli version of American Idol) and one of the first Israeli celebrities to be openly gay.

2655689125_ec37ee13b8.jpg

And TuQui too!

QUOTE=davdavon;911917][part two]
The party was over and it was clear that it's time to go home. I told Morrissey that I'd be glad to take him to the Dead Sea, if we have the time. But I didn't offer to exchange phone numbers or anything. I figured to myself that if he wants, I'll find a way to say it. And indeed, on the way out, his manager, who chased us out in the morning, gave me a visiting-card. On one side, the words "don't speak" were printed in small letters. On the other side, in his handwriting, his email address. I suppose that I'll mail him and thank him for the good concert. And if he really wants, we'll take him to the Dead Sea. After all, he's Morrissey.[/QUOTE]

oh the vryptic messages again..i wonder what he meant by that? "dont speak"
any idea?

great job davdavonn

not to forget lior
his style of (writing)telling a story is great..and very entertaining to read
very much appricaited..great ... i would love to read more

hehe the scenario of muddy morrissey floating on the dead sea..must be quite a sight:D

I invited Gal Uchovsky, who's a Morrissey expert and also a good friend of mine, to join me. . Morrissey entered the room, and he was very polite but quite suspicious. In order to break the ice, we gave him gifts we brought from Israel. These included DVDs of Gal and Eytan Fox's films, "Yossi & Jagger", "Walk on Water", "The Bubble" and "Gotta Have Heart", and also Dover Kosashvili's "Late Wedding" and "Gift from Above".
Gal and Morrissey started talking about things that only the both of them understood, old songs from the seventies and stuff like that. It turns out that they had a short email correspondence after Gal found out that Morrissey likes their films, so Morrissey was already familiar with Gal's taste in music. .

gal sounds like a really nice guy.. it seems as soon as you got a common bond through music and film to be easy to connect with morrissey...and if you re not youre out..like that unlucky crew member who got kicked out after the first day...
Gal Uchovsky
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0879799/

Last edited:
oh the vryptic messages again..i wonder what he meant by that? "dont speak" any idea?

Clearly, Moz is a No Doubt/Gwen Stefani fan.

[Psst...I think it means "do not share this e-mail address with anyone"]

Sarah is his new manager right? the one that replaced Merck. I want to know who Jennifer is, that moz refers to in the XFM interview recently.

Hummas is nice. God bless the chick pea. Plus it is white / pale in colour. I don't like all this dietary / corona burping revelation. It makes Morrissey too human for me.

Tags
interview israel lior photo
Back
Top Bottom