Morrissey interview (American Songwriter, Feb. 2018) posted - Official FB

41996_american_songwriter_1.jpg

41997_american_songwriter_2.jpg

41998_american_songwriter_3.jpg

Unfortunately, the pictures have been subject to FB's image compression.
Photo by SER. Interview by J.Beviglia (who I believe writes for American Songwriter Magazine).
Regards,
FWD.

Posted by dotmatrix522

FYI- the interview is from the current issue of American Songwriter magazine, the “Legends” issue!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you're posting from an "anonymous" account so that means your opinion is already invalid, but I'll answer anyway.
No one has claimed that "just because an interview appears in print doesn't make it a print interview." But someone did claim the opposite, with "unassailable logic." No, this is all based on something Morrissey said onstage, that he would do no more print interviews. He did not say, "never again will I respond in writing to a journalist. If I do you may consider me, with unassailable logic, a hypocrite."
I have already pointed out that "print interview" is a term with a meaning that was established long before anyone heard of email. Was the Der Spiegel interview conducted via email? It was not. His words were transcribed.
Now, this is not to say that he was misquoted. It turns out that the quotes attributed to him were pretty much what he said. He has made conflicting statements before. Is he a hypocrite? He might be. Is he inconsistent? Definitely. To say you are against rape and sexual assault while blaming the victims of rape and sexual assault is, at best, inconsistent.
Meanwhile, I'm not "the base" and I've specifically said he's a xenophobe and that he intentionally used language that had historical ties to racism when he chose the term "subspecies."
I'm sorry if this is a difficult issue for you to understand but you're really just trying to muddy the waters.

Again, he did not say, "I will never again respond in writing to a journalist's questions." He said he won't do print interviews. Talk to some journalists or just google "print interview." you will see that email interviews, while they may appear in print, are different in one crucial way, which is that the subject's words are transcribed, something which does not occur in an email interview.

My list of facts are inconsequential because I’m not signed in? Who the f*** are you to make that call? Morrissey doesn’t speak in riddles and his actions are there for all to see. Grow the f*** up ya wee daft c***.

...and wipe your chin. There’s some nasty splooge, just above your bottom lip.

KS...there is a place in HEAVEN for you and your friends!!

I am a teacher, you know how I feel about taxes, and no kids sadly. ;)

Morrissey seems to not have found his place in your world. Fingers crossed he does in mine!

PS> Don't believe everything you read about Mary Magdalene. :)
Please DO expand on the Mary Magdalene thing. From what I’ve heard, she could work with just about anybody and had a proper-solid career! ;)

Dear numbskulls, patriotic old fogies, breeders and conformists ....

Fortunately for this planet and it's children, we don't all share the same opinion as you.

Well,

more than a few folk went through the trouble of making unofficial videos for this song, so

IT STRUCK THE CHORD OF TRUTH !!!
:rock:

chew on that !

:cool:

No breeders? No children, right f***tard?

C’mon now. Zip it. ...but tongue out.

Back up the arse with you. Quick, quick, line a bunny.

My list of facts are inconsequential because I’m not signed in? Who the f*** are you to make that call? Morrissey doesn’t speak in riddles and his actions are there for all to see. Grow the f*** up ya wee daft c***.

...and wipe your chin. There’s some nasty splooge, just above your bottom lip.

I'm thinking of the countless generations of ancestors for millions of years crawling up out of the sea and evolving only to have the wrong spermatozoa win the race and produce... you. Tragic.

After reading this article, interview, whatever you want to call it, it is clear that Morrissey has evolved as an artist. However, this new Morrissey 2.0 has removed most of the nuance and charm from his lyrics that drew me to him originally. He complains endlessly about politicians but he has become just this now with his blunt, direct attack on issues making comments many of which I strongly disagree with.

A lyric like:

"But last night the plans of a future war
Was all I saw on Channel Four"

allows the listener to form their own opinion of what he is trying to convey. I think we can agree that war is bad, but the belief that soldiers who are willing to risk their own lives to defend the country they love and its citizens makes them somehow accountable for their service is misguided at best.

I also disagree with his attitude towards the police. Their main duty is to serve and protect the citizens of their community. I am grateful for their service and always make it a priority to go up and thank them for doing just this. My Uncle was a policeman and put his life at risk everyday he went to work with a wife and children at home.

Sure there are bad people in society. There are bad soldiers, policemen, politicians...but there are also bad teachers, accountants, parents, etc. Morrissey's answer to this by extension would be to close the schools, stop paying taxes, and outlaw having children. Some here might agree with his opinions, but they are just AND ONLY this "his opinions". He has a right to voice them as I do mine.
Ehm, soldiers and policemen have guns in their hands, that is the problem. I can't believe I had to explain something so obvious. They have power and they have guns - dangerous combination.

Ehm, soldiers and policemen have guns in their hands, that is the problem. I can't believe I had to explain something so obvious. They have power and they have guns - dangerous combination.

Hate to bicker, but soldiers have their guns shouldered and police holstered. They should, and I use the word should thoughtfully, only use guns when absolutely necessary. The real debate here is when is it necessary.

Well, when a lone gunman is shooting up people in French restaurants, at a rock concert, from a hotel room in Las Vegas, at a homosexual bar in Florida, ( I could go on), or terrorists fly planes into buildings killing thousands of innocent people, or lunatics bombing the Boston Marathon then police and a military are necessary. I'm all for turning the other cheek, but the fact that you don't see this is troubling.

There is a difference between power and abuse of power. This to me is obvious. Any abuse of power whether it be gun violence, mass acts against humanity, the abuse of a child, etc. should be punished. This is an imperfect world overrun with imperfect and some downright evil people. Turning a blind eye to this fact won't do you or anyone else any good.

Dear numbskulls, patriotic old fogies, breeders and conformists ....

Fortunately for this planet and it's children, we don't all share the same opinion as you.

Well,

more than a few folk went through the trouble of making unofficial videos for this song, so

IT STRUCK THE CHORD OF TRUTH !!!
:rock:

chew on that !

:cool:

Morrissey has become the master of over simplification. Whether it be the military or police. He remains a damaged soul, most likely irreparably from the childhood "horrors" (please) that he endured during his school days. His mistrust of authority has woven its way through his lyrics from the beginning, but they are coming to a crescendo now! (Here is where you bring up some droll comment regarding LIHS :sleeping:)

He has abandoned all sense of reason and reality regarding the world today, and now can only define the world and current events in black and white terms. It is not the 1960's anymore! The inhabitants of the Earth are more violent today than ever, and this sad fact is one that he is ill equipped to come to grips with. From my perspective things went south when Adam and Eve ate the apple. ;)

There is no color anymore in his comments or music. If he thinks he is revealing some, until now unknown, secret that police overstep their bounds and should be held accountable for their actions, then he is delusional. Other than identifying the obvious what has he done to forward his "causes" besides emailing back and forth? All roads do not lead back to LIHS or Iggy for that matter. There are real problems in the world today that need to be worked through. I agree with that, but excuse me if I don't choose to use Morrissey as my temporal north. I know you can't though because it is not in your nature to do so.

Last edited:
FINALLY he answered my question about whether or not he's ever had to sing happy birthday to his nephew, an activity I find distasteful as well. Why can't he just admit we're soulmates already?!

track jackets are really in this season, Mozzer! Your sartorial choices are inspiring as always. I would buy this
https://www.matchesfashion.com/intl...VA7XACh1ANA_NEAQYAiABEgKe9PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
and then we could go for walks along the pier and be matching, but alas, I am too poor and anyway, I'm not sure it would suit me--as in, I don't think it will convince anyone that I'm sporty. Does it matter? I go for walks, that's sporty enough, I should think. It sure is a swell jacket.

Thing is, Pablo, guns without power are much more dangerous. We live in an imperfect world, but when nutters are bombing children and wielding machetes in the street, I am happy for them to be shot.

Girlmostlikely, would you like to explain how commenting on the photograph attached to the story at the head of this thread is 'Off Topic'?

track jackets are really in this season, Mozzer! Your sartorial choices are inspiring as always. I would buy this
https://www.matchesfashion.com/intl...VA7XACh1ANA_NEAQYAiABEgKe9PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
and then we could go for walks along the pier and be matching, but alas, I am too poor and anyway, I'm not sure it would suit me--as in, I don't think it will convince anyone that I'm sporty. Does it matter? I go for walks, that's sporty enough, I should think. It sure is a swell jacket.
I saw something similar hanging in Value Village for a buck fifty.

Girlmostlikely, would you like to explain how commenting on the photograph attached to the story at the head of this thread is 'Off Topic'?

technically one could say that. Since the thread title only mentions an interview. Not, 'new Morrissey photo + interview'. :lbf:Whatever.

Though I think others concerns are... that on the first page of the thread, your first post was a criticism about the photo rather than saying anything constructive about the interview, but that just seems to be the content of your posts in general, useless negative criticisms.

Though I'm sure you and a few others dislike(to say the least) the contents of my posts. :D

So, carry on.

Thing is, Pablo, guns without power are much more dangerous. We live in an imperfect world, but when nutters are bombing children and wielding machetes in the street, I am happy for them to be shot.
I agree that there are a lot of civilians among us that deserve to be handcuffed and whisk away into jail, but when a gun is in a hand of authority used carelessly, well, that just pisses me off. Those people of authority are trained to intimate and use force. But SOME of them don't know where to draw a line. There are a lot of cops (in the US) there that are happy to kick somebody in a head just because.

technically one could say that. Since the thread title only mentions an interview. Not, 'new Morrissey photo + interview'. :lbf:Whatever.

Though I think others concerns are... that on the first page of the thread, your first post was a criticism about the photo rather than saying anything constructive about the interview, but that just seems to be the content of your posts in general, useless negative criticisms.

Though I'm sure you and a few others dislike(to say the least) the contents of my posts. :D

So, carry on.

Were you a lawyer at some point, Ket? You have an unerring ability to realign facts that is quite dazzling at times :)

I didn't realise people were so sensitive that I shouldn't say anything critical without balancing it with something nice. 'Useless, negative criticisms'? Blimey. These are my actual opinions. When I want to say something positive about Morrissey, I do (and have). I'm not trying to get a reaction out of people, this is actually what I think. As a matter of fact, I found the interview quite boring but didn't bother saying that since everyone else seemed to like it.

And yes, since you mention it, I find some of the posters on here disturbingly sycophantic and detached from reality. But I'm not here to start a war or dish out hate, I take the view of 'each to their own'.

Hate to bicker, but soldiers have their guns shouldered and police holstered. They should, and I use the word should thoughtfully, only use guns when absolutely necessary. The real debate here is when is it necessary.

Well, when a lone gunman is shooting up people in French restaurants, at a rock concert, from a hotel room in Las Vegas, at a homosexual bar in Florida, ( I could go on), or terrorists fly planes into buildings killing thousands of innocent people, or lunatics bombing the Boston Marathon then police and a military are necessary. I'm all for turning the other cheek, but the fact that you don't see this is troubling.

There is a difference between power and abuse of power. This to me is obvious. Any abuse of power whether it be gun violence, mass acts against humanity, the abuse of a child, etc. should be punished. This is an imperfect world overrun with imperfect and some downright evil people. Turning a blind eye to this fact won't do you or anyone else any good.

'Well, when a lone gunman is shooting up people in French restaurants, at a rock concert, from a hotel room in Las Vegas, at a homosexual bar in Florida, ( I could go on), or terrorists fly planes into buildings killing thousands of innocent people, or lunatics bombing the Boston Marathon then police and a military are necessary.'

Well, having armed persons didn't prevent any of that from happening, it never will.

'There is a difference between power and abuse of power. This to me is obvious. Any abuse of power whether it be gun violence, mass acts against humanity, the abuse of a child, etc. should be punished.'

yes, and the songs are about people who are trusted that can't be trusted because of a abuse of their power.

'Any abuse of power whether it be gun violence, mass acts against humanity, the abuse of a child, etc.should be punished.'

Yes, and the police that do those things need to be held accountable and punished, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY there needs to be
a new system of educating police on how to treat other human beings as human beings before these people are given guns and badges and let loose on the streets.

<>.

Were you a lawyer at some point, Ket? You have an unerring ability to realign facts that is quite dazzling at times :)

I didn't realise people were so sensitive that I shouldn't say anything critical without balancing it with something nice. 'Useless, negative criticisms'? Blimey. These are my actual opinions. When I want to say something positive about Morrissey, I do (and have). I'm not trying to get a reaction out of people, this is actually what I think. As a matter of fact, I found the interview quite boring but didn't bother saying that since everyone else seemed to like it.

And yes, since you mention it, I find some of the posters on here disturbingly sycophantic and detached from reality. But I'm not here to start a war or dish out hate, I take the view of 'each to their own'.

'I didn't realise people were so sensitive that I shouldn't say anything critical without balancing it with something nice. '

'I found the interview quite boring but didn't bother saying that since everyone else seemed to like it.'

'everyone'? only two posts before your first post liked the interview. And in regards to your first post, you did not 'balance it with something nice'. Not that you need to.

here is your post ....

Peppermint Dear me. Photoshop Strikes Again. Do we really think Morrissey is demanding that his photos be Frankensteined, or do we think this is Sam attempting to showcase his 'skills' to please uncle?

'I find some of the posters on here disturbingly sycophantic and detached from reality. But I'm not here to start a war or dish out hate, I take the view of 'each to their own'.'

yes, agree ! :thumb:

'I didn't realise people were so sensitive that I shouldn't say anything critical without balancing it with something nice. '

'I found the interview quite boring but didn't bother saying that since everyone else seemed to like it.'

'everyone'? only two posts before your first post liked the interview. And in regards to your first post, you did not 'balance it with something nice'. Not that you need to.

here is your post ....

Peppermint Dear me. Photoshop Strikes Again. Do we really think Morrissey is demanding that his photos be Frankensteined, or do we think this is Sam attempting to showcase his 'skills' to please uncle?

'I find some of the posters on here disturbingly sycophantic and detached from reality. But I'm not here to start a war or dish out hate, I take the view of 'each to their own'.'

yes, agree ! :thumb:

Jeez. I've been Ketamined :lbf:
Sorry, I no longer have any idea what point you're making. Is it okay with you if I post what I want, and you post what you want?

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom