Morrissey interview (American Songwriter, Feb. 2018) posted - Official FB

41996_american_songwriter_1.jpg

41997_american_songwriter_2.jpg

41998_american_songwriter_3.jpg

Unfortunately, the pictures have been subject to FB's image compression.
Photo by SER. Interview by J.Beviglia (who I believe writes for American Songwriter Magazine).
Regards,
FWD.

Posted by dotmatrix522

FYI- the interview is from the current issue of American Songwriter magazine, the “Legends” issue!

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey only does one or takes per song no? The studio would be a glorious place if that's all the time you spend in it but if you're working from start to finish on a record as Johnny would it makes sense not to do it all 'on location'.

Pretty good overall, I'm glad that it didn't descend into another case of the verbal shits and if going back and forward via emails is the way to stop it then it makes sense.

yeah, no surprise Morrissey treats the studio experience as an event not to be taken for granted. Doesn't seem to think that having a home studio would hold the same magic for him, being always there like furniture, though he doesn't work the same way, and a musician like Johnny would be smart to have something there ready at his finger tips, to work out ideas, etc.

Yes, I think the email interviews are a good idea, that way he doesn't feel pressured as in a face to face interview the need to answer ridiculous questions not about music asked by the interviewer. They just don't make music journalists like they use to.

Pretty good overall, I'm glad that it didn't descend into another case of the verbal shits and if going back and forward via emails is the way to stop it then it makes sense.

I think it's sadly obvious, that these don't go "back and forward via emails". The interviewer sends the questions and then Morrissey sends the answers -- and that's it. This is clear, because no question relates to the previous answer . They would be better if they went back and forth, because then some kind of conversation would ensue.

Yes, I think the email interviews are a good idea, that way he doesn't feel pressured as in a face to face interview the need to answer ridiculous questions not about music asked by the interviewer. They just don't make music journalists like they use to.

Umm... If you wanted to not talk about anything else than music, then not writing clearly political songs like Who Will Protect Us From The Police and Israel would be a good idea.

The point of Morrissey has always been that he and his music is about something more than his record collection. For better or worse, he didn't write that much about music in Autobiography either. I actually wish he would write more things like the essays in the Maladjusted and Southpaw reissue booklets.

If I could go back and time and ask Mozart why he wrote requiem or what inspired Beethoven to write Romance No 2 , i would choose that over what he thought of the king. All of this is lost. No one knows.

You are such an utter bore and a total waste of semen. Even your 'loved ones' must surely despise your ongoing existence.

Every word of that is true. What's your point here? And, by the way, what is it about words on a web page that rile you so? Words. On a web page.

I was pleased there were no further outbreaks of Foot in Mouth, but it is a bit dull and fawning, I have to admit. There is a noticeable spark of spontaneity missing when interviews are done in this way.

Oh, foot and mouth. I will never forget travelling by train from Manchester to London smelling the fires of dead burning cows and seeing the smoke from the farms back in the 90's.

Every word of that is true. What's your point here? And, by the way, what is it about words on a web page that rile you so? Words. On a web page.

Hey Skinny, you and me should start a new Moz website and make it the most offensive website online.

I know you hate my guts but I think it's about time some people stopped attacking you. I am all for attacking people as you know but it gets boring if it lasts forever.

On that note, why aren't you calling me this, that and the other anymore?

Please, let a curse word slip my way!

LOL

Moz interviews these days are as apocalyptic as foot and mouth was in the 90's. I wonder when he will say something controversial and then not backtrack on what he said.

Moz is a poodle!

It's not clear to me that having 2 songs "devised and recorded" in one day means *completely from scratch.* I'm guessing the lyrics (and an idea for melody, musical structure, etc.) were already written previously, but then the band began to collaborate and record in one day.

Compare Mark Nevin's recent recollections: "I introduced myself and he went bright red and said ‘thank you, see you in the studio in two weeks’. It was weird writing songs by post before I had even met him but it worked in a weird way. When we started recording (1991’s Kill Uncle album) I didn’t even know what the songs were. Then he starts singing ‘I’m going to be sick over your frankly vulgar red pullover’ and we (the band) were laughing so much there were tears running down our faces.” (https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...ia-about-collaborating-with-morrissey.139718/)

Oh, foot and mouth. I will never forget travelling by train from Manchester to London smelling the fires of dead burning cows and seeing the smoke from the farms back in the 90's.

Foot and mouth put me off eating meat 17 years ago. It was rank. Walking in the British countryside to be confronted with piles of dead sheep and the f***ing smell...

Unfortunately as time passes every now and then my standards slip and I suck on a meaty sausage. For cash. £50 to you squire and I'll let you come in my face for 60.

Last edited:
Foot and mouth put me off eating 17 years ago. It was rank. Walking in the British countryside to be confronted with piles of dead sheep and the f***ing smell...

Unfortunately as time passes every now and then my standards slip and I suck on a meaty sausage. For cash. £50 to you squire and I'll let you come in my face for 60.

LOL

My train ride felt very apocalyptic and seeing the beautiful landscape and then that smoke and feeling the smell was very strange.

It seems Moz's problem now is not foot and mouth but putting his foot in his mouth a lot. Foot fetishism taken to the extreme perhaps.

LOL

My train ride felt very apocalyptic and seeing the beautiful landscape and then that smoke and feeling the smell was very strange.

It seems Moz's problem now is not foot and mouth but putting his foot in his mouth a lot. Foot fetishism taken to the extreme perhaps.
Not sure when this interview took place - perhaps prior to the 'issues' - as it isn't even available digitally when posted yesterday, I'd say we are seeing what they sent him as the finished product.
And the reason for my reply: yes, living in the 'Shire at that time, near a RAF base doing all the burning - it was a smell I will never forget.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
It's refreshing to see an interview that doesn't make me clench my teeth and do that sharp intake of breath through them that one does when they see something super iffy. Hell, the only bad thing I can say about this is that the bit on Jacky is unbelievably pretentious. But hey, it's Morrissey speaking, so unbelievably pretentious is kind of his bread and butter. (or margarine, if you vegans prefer.)

LOL

Narcissistic podophilia? What a trend setter he is, and so difficult to be one in our overly kinky TMI society!

Dear me. Photoshop Strikes Again. Do we really think Morrissey is demanding that his photos be Frankensteined, or do we think this is Sam attempting to showcase his 'skills' to please uncle?
Is this what really concerns you ?
Maybe you should get a famous uncle..untold happiness for you.

Is this what really concerns you ?
Maybe you should get a famous uncle..untold happiness for you.
What really concerns me? Well, since you ask, there are several things that concern me about it. 1. It's a terrible Photoshop job. His eyes are wonky, his jawline has developed a peculiar growth and his hair is borrowed from 2004. 2. I think that's a shame for Morrissey. Somebody who was always so particular about his public image is not served well by this. Plus he's still a good-looking man and he doesn't need this shit. 3. It's taking the piss out of fans, by assuming we won't notice.

But these are not big concerns, in the scheme of things. I'm much more interested in what's for dinner and whether my kids are happy and healthy. Oh, and I have no need of a famous uncle, very happy with the ones I have, thanks.

Umm... If you wanted to not talk about anything else than music, then not writing clearly political songs like Who Will Protect Us From The Police and Israel would be a good idea.

The point of Morrissey has always been that he and his music is about something more than his record collection. For better or worse, he didn't write that much about music in Autobiography either. I actually wish he would write more things like the essays in the Maladjusted and Southpaw reissue booklets.

well, this interviewer had no problem of not asking, even if some of the songs are political.

We don't know what Morrissey wants to talk about. I'm sure he has no problem in talking about the political subjects of his songs. Though it's nice to read about different aspects of the songs & studio work that went into one of the best albums of 2017 ... Low In High School.

:cool:
<>.

Having attended many, many Morrissey concerts, this is true. However, these “certain songs” generally amount to about 6-8 out of ~20.

I mean, I guess there are few delusionals in the front row that get excited when “world peace is none of your business” starts, but I can assure you the other 4,496 people in the room either run for the bathroom, get a beer, or look at their phone.
yah you're right. My own opinion is that people who look at phones during a concert should be forced to eat them. Same selfish gits who do it at cinema.

well, this interviewer had no problem of not asking, even if some of the songs are political.

We don't know what Morrissey wants to talk about. I'm sure he has no problem in talking about the political subjects of his songs. Though it's nice to read about different aspects of the songs & studio work that went into one of the best albums of 2017 ... Low In High School.

:cool:
<>.

This interviewer knows how to get insight into the artistic ambitions and accomplishments of Moz. Ya gotta record this kind of stuff for history.
This interview and the one with Joe on production were some of the best.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom