Morrissey in the 'wilderness' years

Robert Neville

maladjusted
During the period from the release of Maladjusted to You Are The Quarry, how did the Morrissey fans cope? More importantly what did Morrissey do in these years. Is there any information?

During the period from the release of Maladjusted to You Are The Quarry, how did the Morrissey fans cope? More importantly what did Morrissey do in these years. Is there any information?

There were tours in 1999, 2000 and 2002 so it's not as if there wasn't any Morrissey activity.
From 2002, he started playing new songs so that added a new dimension, and in 2003 the Sanctuary record deal was announced so we knew an album was just round the corner. I think the worst year was 2001 as there was no sign of a tour, new songs or a record deal.
It wasn't like, for example, when the Stone Roses disappeared completely from 1990-1995...

I'm going to take a wild stab at answering this and say that he slept alot and was quite depressed.

Whoa whoa whoa there, babycakes. She was simply referencing an older thread where a very similar topic was previously discussed.

This time, her link made sense. Frankie says RELAX.

I dont recall Frankie saying relax...he was asking when i wanted to cum. Quit rushing me, was what I said! Then I gave him AIDS.

I dont recall Frankie saying relax...he was asking when i wanted to cum. Quit rushing me, was what I said! Then I gave him AIDS.

Cause you're so boss you skipped giving him HIV first?

I didn't lose any interest. If anything, my interest was more fevered than ever during those years.

A lot of great stuff happened in those years, for both Morrissey and his fans. His band was still British, Alain was his main writing partner and lead guitarist, and Boz was still fresh-faced and enthusiastic. There were tours, and from tours came some amazing bootlegs. There were new songs played live that we could speculate about how they'd sound on record...there were leaks of long-rumored old songs, like Striptease and Oh Phony and the longer version of Piccadilly Palare.

There were sessions, TV appearances, a BBC documentary, magazine interview exclusives with some of his best press quotes ever...Solo was coming into its own, and there were other great websites like Passions Just Like Mine keeping us satiated and informed. There was internet speculation, some true and some false but in those days that whole web thing in general was still fairly new and just hitting its stride so that even the fanboy hearsay was fresh and exciting to be a part of because it was a new age.

He lived in America, so for us that was nice...people could drive by his house, leave gifts there, hope to catch a glimpse of him out and about...

Bands were name dropping him like never before, citing him as a major influence. He seemed to be some kind of mythical lost legend during those years.

All in all, good times. Exciting times filled with hope and anticipation. In a way, and I'm sure this sounds stupid, the wilderness years were the best period of Morrissey's career.

Everyone loved him, everyone missed him, everyone celebrated anything he did.

Well...I think after the record real with Decca has broken down Morrissey is re-releasing and reissue classic album, then.. it appears to be the same thing that happenned on "wilderness years. I assume it can be a second part of "wilderness years". I can't believe Morrissey is plaining to break-up with fans and stop singing but of course it is gonna happen someday to him.

I'm not so concerned or worried about his career... anyway,

Back
Top Bottom