Morrissey (in the list of names) to be honoured by Manchester's new Walk Of Fame

Manchester's 20 'Walk of Fame' names revealed - Manchester Evening News

4th October 2016
Manchester Evening News
reports that 20 local heroes will receive stars on the walk.

Excerpt:

The 20 names on Manchester’s new ‘Walk of Fame’ have been revealed.

The Star Walk Manchester has been unveiled to mark the launch of a new bar - The Liquor Store - on First Street, off Whitworth Street West.

The owners of the bar held a poll to find 20 Manchester icons - and this is what the vote turned up.

...As well as the Gallaghers and Morrissey, The Stone Roses' Ian Brown, Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis, Bez from Happy Mondays, Simply Red singer Mick Hucknall and Factory Records boss Tony Wilson are among the big music names.

Star Walk Manchester is to be unveiled to mark the launch of a new bar in the city, The Liquor Store, which opens this Saturday (October 8).

UPDATE Oct. 5:

Photo from saint_simon_ / Instagram. Link posted by an anonymous person.

39184_morrissey_star.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon Uncle Steve will show for this. Next he will buy a house in Mancibu and move the family there. :crazy:

Crykey, you people are desperate. Does anyone from "manc" actually still live in "manc".

When I sat next to John Lydon on a cross country flight once, he told me he was from Londun not manc.
When you say 'you people' does that include you?

IF you think about it, what a horrible thing is a walk of fame. Why not a walk of honor, bravery, art, commitment, thinking, ethics, sacrifice, talent, etc. Lots of things to celebrate more valuable than fame.
It can play hideous tricks on the brain. Maybe the walk is a way to highlight people who spend their careers actively seeking mental illness.

Thanks. You are the second person to recommend this movie to me so I must now watch it. It will be difficult though because I am deeply affected by those who take their own lives especially those that hold such promise. You want to reach out and tell them that things will get better. Kurt Cobain immediately comes to mind.

In the 24 Hour movie, Ian stopped by to see Tony Wilson at his home and was greeted by his wife who told him that Tony was out. This led me to believe that they were close and that perhaps if he were there to speak to things might have gone differently, at least temporarily.

24 hour party people only really touches the subject whereas Control puts it all into perspective as it delves into his personal life as well and you start to see how everything built up. Its a brilliant film and even though you know the end, the way its put together and acted is very heart wrenching.

Last edited:
24 hour party people only really touches the subject whereas Control puts it all into perspective as it delves into his personal life as well and you start to see how everything built up. Its a brilliant film and even though you know the end, the way its put together and acted is very heart wrenching.

Control is a great movie and although it's obviously very dark I loved some of the light dialogue inbetween like "It could be worse, you could be the lead singer of The Fall".

Agree with both of you about control. I found a lot of great understated moments in that film and the actor was great. 24 was obviously a comedy though it had its serious moments and underlying serious doc side to it. That movie made me laugh out loud a lot and there version of hammet was great. Coogans dry one liners were wondrous at times and having God come down in the form of tony Wilson to talk to tony Wilson made for a really funny exchange
Cameos

Agree with both of you about control. I found a lot of great understated moments in that film and the actor was great. 24 was obviously a comedy though it had its serious moments and underlying serious doc side to it. That movie made me laugh out loud a lot and there version of hammet was great. Coogans dry one liners were wondrous at times and having God come down in the form of tony Wilson to talk to tony Wilson made for a really funny exchange
Cameos

The boardroom table scene still makes me piss myself laughing

The MEN is a comic. It no longer has any influence in the city (isn't even based / produced in the city any longer) and is skint.
It is owned by the Mirror Group and just publishes rehashed ''stories'' from celeb websites and twitter. It is no longer a credible newspaper with credible journalists.

Jukebox ''Come On City'' Jury :thumb:

Okay thanks for the info Jukebox Jury.
You just ruled out that possibility.

Is there any other credible and cultural force which has enough money and willing to co-operate with the city to celebrate the Manc Icons and give the city and the people some pride?

Not that that Manc people in general should need it but whenever some minor obscure person in London or wherever has accomplished " something" they are honoured and celebrated.

I stand by my opinion many people from Manchester should be honoured one way or the other for they are a bit neglected.
I know people from the North are modest and have a no nonsense attitude but they really should be proud. :thumb:
Cheers

The boardroom table scene still makes me piss myself laughing

That is a great scene. It was extremely funny and equally sad when Tony had to announce that he didn't have a contract or the rights on songs with New Order. He could never sell out because he would never have anything to sell. Classic. Very few movies solicit a second watch, but the music and fast paced nature of the plot makes it enjoyable to revisit time and again.

Okay thanks for the info Jukebox Jury.
You just ruled out that possibility.

Is there any other credible and cultural force which has enough money and willing to co-operate with the city to celebrate the Manc Icons and give the city and the people some pride?

Not that that Manc people in general should need it but whenever some minor obscure person in London or wherever has accomplished " something" they are honoured and celebrated.

I stand by my opinion many people from Manchester should be honoured one way or the other for they are a bit neglected.
I know people from the North are modest and have a no nonsense attitude but they really should be proud. :thumb:
Cheers
I just discovered today, my new colleague is from Manchester. As soon as he started talking I noticed the Mancunian accent. When I asked him if he is from Manchester, he said, "No, actually I am from Salford". You can imagine where the conversation took turn. I have nothing but pleasant experience with people from Manchester. Very humble people indeed. How can you not love that.

I just discovered today, my new colleague is from Manchester. As soon as he started talking I noticed the Mancunian accent. When I asked him if he is from Manchester, he said, "No, actually I am from Salford". You can imagine where the conversation took turn. I have nothing but pleasant experience with people from Manchester. Very humble people indeed. How can you not love that.
is his name jack? does he stutter? im only asking because i know someone from manchester who moved to the okanagan and is named jack and who stutters. he's a bit of a dweeb. tell him i said that. also, did you tell him that you like morrissey? im longing to meet someone from manchester now that i know i like morrissey (i didnt when i knew jack) just so that i can say "just like my favourite person!" and then when they say "who's that?" make them guess. although who else would it be really? johnny marr? not bloody likely.

Last edited:
is his name jack? does he stutter? im only asking because i know someone from manchester who moved to the okanagan and is named jack and who stutters. he's a bit of a dweeb. tell him i said that. also, did you tell him that you like morrissey? im longing to meet someone from manchester now that i know i like morrissey (i didnt when i knew jack) just so that i can say "just like my favourite person!" and then when they say "who's that?" make them guess. although who else would it be really? johnny marr? not bloody likely.

Ena Sharples? :)
Dead, but somehow still alive. o_O

Does it has to be a living person?
Why can't it be a fictitious person?

Oh, wait, for you it needs to be a person that can be blazered well enough and the only one who can is your (our!) Moz! :D
Sorry Rifke, you'll have to share him.

Thought about George Best but he is from Ireland, or Northern Ireland, don't know exactly, sorry don't mean to be rude.
For me he is partly a Manc icon as well.
But I guess you are not into football that much!
Cheers Rifke :thumb:

Jesus, leave me alone.
Just out of curiosity. What would I tell this person (if that was him)? That some Piefke on Morrissey-solo annoys the shit out of me but says you are a dweeb? WTF is wrong with you?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom