Morrissey (in the list of names) to be honoured by Manchester's new Walk Of Fame

Manchester's 20 'Walk of Fame' names revealed - Manchester Evening News

4th October 2016
Manchester Evening News
reports that 20 local heroes will receive stars on the walk.

Excerpt:

The 20 names on Manchester’s new ‘Walk of Fame’ have been revealed.

The Star Walk Manchester has been unveiled to mark the launch of a new bar - The Liquor Store - on First Street, off Whitworth Street West.

The owners of the bar held a poll to find 20 Manchester icons - and this is what the vote turned up.

...As well as the Gallaghers and Morrissey, The Stone Roses' Ian Brown, Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis, Bez from Happy Mondays, Simply Red singer Mick Hucknall and Factory Records boss Tony Wilson are among the big music names.

Star Walk Manchester is to be unveiled to mark the launch of a new bar in the city, The Liquor Store, which opens this Saturday (October 8).

UPDATE Oct. 5:

Photo from saint_simon_ / Instagram. Link posted by an anonymous person.

39184_morrissey_star.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Huckknob and yet no Bernard Sumner from New Order. Useless list. No Johnny Marr. Bloody Oasis. OK maybe Noel but not that snarling spitting spastic sibling of his. Mick bloody Hucknall. The dog wouldn't dignify that by cocking it's leg.

Huckknob and yet no Bernard Sumner from New Order. Useless list. No Johnny Marr. Bloody Oasis. OK maybe Noel but not that snarling spitting spastic sibling of his. Mick bloody Hucknall. The dog wouldn't dignify that by cocking it's leg.

I suppose it will be interesting to see if this news makes its way onto TTY, thereby getting Moz's endorsement, so to speak...

Spastic? f*** off you twat.
From someone who works with ''spastics''

Jukebox ''f*** off you twat'' Jury

Why, for heavens sake, isn't there a proper walk or hall of fame for illustrious Mancunians yet? :confused:

If it is about costs only the city and for instance Manchester Evening News could work together and MEN could do sponsorship?

Gee, Manchester has so many great personalities, they should be more proud about them and I don't mean Smiths, Moz, or Johnny Marr only.
In case you're wondering, I am not a Mancunian myself. ;)

The MEN is a comic. It no longer has any influence in the city (isn't even based / produced in the city any longer) and is skint.
It is owned by the Mirror Group and just publishes rehashed ''stories'' from celeb websites and twitter. It is no longer a credible newspaper with credible journalists.

Jukebox ''Come On City'' Jury :thumb:

I reckon Uncle Steve will show for this. Next he will buy a house in Mancibu and move the family there. :crazy:

Crykey, you people are desperate. Does anyone from "manc" actually still live in "manc".

When I sat next to John Lydon on a cross country flight once, he told me he was from Londun not manc.

the Smiths would've suited better,no discussion about just 5 years and the split... they are till today and forever an influence for many bands.

Next!

<edit>names, no bands, so my comment is useless...indeed so many names missing,
Marr had to be on the list

Last edited:
No Bernard Manning, Bee Gee's, Frank Sidebottom, Foo Foo Lamar, Johnny Marr, Alan Turin, Samuel Crompton, Fred Dibnah, Vinni Reilly, Pat Pheonix etc ! Etc ! Etc ! :eek:

Yet those cockney twerps from Oasis ? About as Mancunion as those two cockney Beatles who claim to be Scousers :laughing:.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

IF you think about it, what a horrible thing is a walk of fame. Why not a walk of honor, bravery, art, commitment, thinking, ethics, sacrifice, talent, etc. Lots of things to celebrate more valuable than fame.

Coincidentally, I just watched 24 Hour Party People for the third or fourth time a few nights ago. I find it a mesmerizing movie that covers London/Manc music from the Sex Pistols to Happy Mondays. As an American, I can't speak to the accuracy of the events, but Ian Curtis' back story and ultimate demise was very sad. The metamorphosis from Joy Division to New Order reminded me of how Dave Grohl moved on from Nirvana to create the Foo Fighters.

The movie portrayed Tony Wilson as a huge supporter of the music scene of the day without any sense or care for the business side of the industry. Using the success of New Order to fund his misguided ventures was unfortunate, but in the end this was one of many poor decisions that led to his implosion. Still I came away feeling he really wanted to bring the music he loved to the people and was a little more trusting of others than he should have been. I'm interested in how others feel about this.

PS. Don't :gun:me...but I am a closet Simply Red fan. If you are too, check out my favorite song of theirs on the Guilty Music Pleasure thread.

I love that film and according to Peter and Bernard, it's a fairly accurate reflection of what when on. For a truely heartbreaking insight into of Ian Curtis/ Joy Division get hold of Control which was directed by Anton Corbijn.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_(2007_film)

Both Gallaghers have earned their spot. They're both proud Mancunians and have done a lot to reinforce Manchesters place in musical history.

And yes, Marr also deserves a spot. Denying him a spot really baffles me. Just as Bez' inclusion does. The Ryders wrote and performed the songs, and Bez just "danced".

And what about Mike Summerbee?

No Bernard Manning, Bee Gee's, Frank Sidebottom, Foo Foo Lamar, Johnny Marr, Alan Turin, Samuel Crompton, Fred Dibnah, Vinni Reilly, Pat Pheonix etc ! Etc ! Etc ! :eek:

Yet those cockney twerps from Oasis ? About as Mancunion as those two cockney Beatles who claim to be Scousers :laughing:.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Pete Shelley and Steve Diggle - first band to release an independent record!

I reckon Uncle Steve will show for this. Next he will buy a house in Mancibu and move the family there. :crazy:

Crykey, you people are desperate. Does anyone from "manc" actually still live in "manc".

When I sat next to John Lydon on a cross country flight once, he told me he was from Londun not manc.

Why did you think he was from Manchester?

all they had to say was Morrissey marr,if that doesn't get on then Morrissey hibbert next,then Morrissey Rourke and if that doesn't get on then Morrissey and a monkey and if that doesn't get on then eventually we will go with Morrissey n joyce.

Both Gallaghers have earned their spot. They're both proud Mancunians and have done a lot to reinforce Manchesters place in musical history.

And yes, Marr also deserves a spot. Denying him a spot really baffles me. Just as Bez' inclusion does. The Ryders wrote and performed the songs, and Bez just "danced".

And what about Mike Summerbee?

Yeah but it's a poll of patrons I'm assuming so it's gonna be whoever stood out in there minds etc which is a test of fame. I don't know exactly how it was conducted, if they gave pros choices or if they just put down what they wanted to, but that's a fair test of fame and it makes sense oasis would be there. The average listener probably doesn't know who wrote what and probably doesntisten to the fall

I love that film and according to Peter and Bernard, it's a fairly accurate reflection of what when on. For a truely heartbreaking insight into of Ian Curtis/ Joy Division get hold of Control which was directed by Anton Corbijn.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_(2007_film)

Thanks. You are the second person to recommend this movie to me so I must now watch it. It will be difficult though because I am deeply affected by those who take their own lives especially those that hold such promise. You want to reach out and tell them that things will get better. Kurt Cobain immediately comes to mind.

In the 24 Hour movie, Ian stopped by to see Tony Wilson at his home and was greeted by his wife who told him that Tony was out. This led me to believe that they were close and that perhaps if he were there to speak to things might have gone differently, at least temporarily.

Spastic? f*** off you twat.
From someone who works with ''spastics''

Jukebox ''f*** off you twat'' Jury
Sorry my alliteration addiction affected my ability to pander politely to political correctness. I hereby revoke my reckless choice of words and honestly hope that your forgiveness is forthcoming. No insult was intended to anonymous posters, as I know it takes time and effort to actually be bothered to login.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom