Morrissey (in the list of names) to be honoured by Manchester's new Walk Of Fame

Manchester's 20 'Walk of Fame' names revealed - Manchester Evening News

4th October 2016
Manchester Evening News
reports that 20 local heroes will receive stars on the walk.

Excerpt:

The 20 names on Manchester’s new ‘Walk of Fame’ have been revealed.

The Star Walk Manchester has been unveiled to mark the launch of a new bar - The Liquor Store - on First Street, off Whitworth Street West.

The owners of the bar held a poll to find 20 Manchester icons - and this is what the vote turned up.

...As well as the Gallaghers and Morrissey, The Stone Roses' Ian Brown, Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis, Bez from Happy Mondays, Simply Red singer Mick Hucknall and Factory Records boss Tony Wilson are among the big music names.

Star Walk Manchester is to be unveiled to mark the launch of a new bar in the city, The Liquor Store, which opens this Saturday (October 8).

UPDATE Oct. 5:

Photo from saint_simon_ / Instagram. Link posted by an anonymous person.

39184_morrissey_star.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
4th October 2016
Manchester Evening News

As well as the Gallaghers and Morrissey, The Stone Roses' Ian Brown, Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis, Bez from Happy Mondays, Simply Red singer Mick Hucknall and Factory Records boss Tony Wilson are among the big music names.
Star Walk Manchester is to be unveiled to mark the launch of a new bar in the city, The Liquor Store, which opens this Saturday (October 8).
That's alright. Just don't put Morrissey's star anywhere near Tony Wilson's.

Yeah that is strange about Johnny when you consider some of the others

f***ing Bez, but no Shaun (or Paul) Ryder? That's beyond mental.

Yeah that is strange about Johnny when you consider some of the others

I agree 100℅ with you on this!
Strange? It is completely unforgivable! :crazy:
Johnny should be there next to Moz for eternity.

Oh you Mancunians, so much to answer for. :brows:
I always ask myself why I have this love-hate relation with Manchestar. Now I know again! :tears:
Ask for a revote, just like with the Brexit! :head-smack:

What a silly way to get bar branding out there. If the final design looks like the one above, then isn't it just using someone else's name to promote your business? Crock of shit.

What a silly way to get bar branding out there. If the final design looks like the one above, then isn't it just using someone else's name to promote your business? Crock of shit.

Are they paying for it though. They held the poll so I was assuming they were paying the cost. I mean hasn't that been the hard rock cafes model for years now. Agree that the logo is way to big and makes it look cheap but I wouldn't say it's a terrible thing all together

Are they paying for it though. They held the poll so I was assuming they were paying the cost. I mean hasn't that been the hard rock cafes model for years now. Agree that the logo is way to big and makes it look cheap but I wouldn't say it's a terrible thing all together
Whether they are paying for it or not- and I assume they would be, given that their logo is prominently displayed- One should be presented without the other. Do a walk of fame. That's cool. But keep the branding off of it, or it's just using someone's name in support of a business that they may not align themselves with.
What's the menu look like at this bar? That's a good question to start with.

Surely Alan Turing should have been on the list ? And what about Stan Ogden ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Coincidentally, I just watched 24 Hour Party People for the third or fourth time a few nights ago. I find it a mesmerizing movie that covers London/Manc music from the Sex Pistols to Happy Mondays. As an American, I can't speak to the accuracy of the events, but Ian Curtis' back story and ultimate demise was very sad. The metamorphosis from Joy Division to New Order reminded me of how Dave Grohl moved on from Nirvana to create the Foo Fighters.

The movie portrayed Tony Wilson as a huge supporter of the music scene of the day without any sense or care for the business side of the industry. Using the success of New Order to fund his misguided ventures was unfortunate, but in the end this was one of many poor decisions that led to his implosion. Still I came away feeling he really wanted to bring the music he loved to the people and was a little more trusting of others than he should have been. I'm interested in how others feel about this.

PS. Don't :gun:me...but I am a closet Simply Red fan. If you are too, check out my favorite song of theirs on the Guilty Music Pleasure thread.

Coincidentally, I just watched 24 Hour Party People for the third or fourth time a few nights ago. I find it a mesmerizing movie that covers London/Manc music from the Sex Pistols to Happy Mondays. As an American, I can't speak to the accuracy of the events, but Ian Curtis' back story and ultimate demise was very sad. The metamorphosis from Joy Division to New Order reminded me of how Dave Grohl moved on from Nirvana to create the Foo Fighters.

The movie portrayed Tony Wilson as a huge supporter of the music scene of the day without any sense or care for the business side of the industry. Using the success of New Order to fund his misguided ventures was unfortunate, but in the end this was one of many poor decisions that led to his implosion. Still I came away feeling he really wanted to bring the music he loved to the people and was a little more trusting of others than he should have been. I'm interested in how others feel about this.

PS. Don't :gun:me...but I am a closet Simply Red fan. If you are too, check out my favorite song of theirs on the Guilty Music Pleasure thread.

It was a really funny movie with the smiths line being especially good. I liked the cameos as well. If you haven't seen it already control, the Ian Curtis joy division film, was also really good though not very funny.

As to the advertising I guess it just doesn't bother me that much just as the Hard Rock Cafe doesn't bother me. I mean I think it's just neat that it's there in the first place. Advertisement yes but in a good way especially as it was voted by people and patrons. The logos big though

Manchester's 20 'Walk of Fame' names revealed - Manchester Evening News

4th October 2016
Manchester Evening News

Excerpt:

The 20 names on Manchester’s new ‘Walk of Fame’ have been revealed.

The Star Walk Manchester has been unveiled to mark the launch of a new bar - The Liquor Store - on First Street, off Whitworth Street West.

The owners of the bar held a poll to find 20 Manchester icons - and this is what the vote turned up.

...As well as the Gallaghers and Morrissey, The Stone Roses' Ian Brown, Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis, Bez from Happy Mondays, Simply Red singer Mick Hucknall and Factory Records boss Tony Wilson are among the big music names.

39182_IMG_0415.jpg

Why, for heavens sake, isn't there a proper walk or hall of fame for illustrious Mancunians yet? :confused:

If it is about costs only the city and for instance Manchester Evening News could work together and MEN could do sponsorship?

Gee, Manchester has so many great personalities, they should be more proud about them and I don't mean Smiths, Moz, or Johnny Marr only.
In case you're wondering, I am not a Mancunian myself. ;)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom