Morrissey in cinema watching James Baldwin documentary

You do realise that Morrissey's interest in James Baldwin is almost certainly primarily due to his being gay, rather than black, right? I mean, he's up there with the likes of Oscar Wilde, Truman Capote, Kenneth Williams and 99% of Morrissey's influences as an obvious homosexual icon.

"almost certainly primarily due to".
What does that mean?
And I am also interested in the 1% of Morrissey's influences not being about homosexual icons. Cause in that case that 1% is left for humasexual icons or heterosexual icons?
So when he likes James Baldwin cause he is gay, he dislikes him for being black cause Moz is racist?
I reckon, me thinks I am weird.
But this is really unbelievable.

TTY 21 July 2006

"I am writing this in the city of Barcelona where, many years ago, I discovered the American writer James Baldwin sitting alone and somewhat lost in the darkened lobby of one of the city's oldest hotels. Surprised at being inches away from such a great man, I froze in sheepish clumsiness, circled him eleven times, before I realized that he could not possibly have any interest in being approached by someone who had spent all 25 years of their life locked in an attic because too awful to look at. So, I did nothing, walked on, and shortly thereafter he was dead. Yet another lessons."

Autobiography

"Nerve deserts me in 1986 as I spot the American writer and social reformer James Baldwin sitting alone in the lobby of a grandiose Barcelona hotel. He is weathered and intense, absorbed in his own thoughts, with a face there could never be enough time to describe. I drink him in, but can do no more. I pin so much prestige to James Baldwin that to risk approach places my life on the line; I’d hang myself at any glimmer of rejection. History books overlook James Baldwin because he presented an unvarnished view of the American essence – as blunt and rousing as print would allow. His public speeches were intoxicating, his motivational palette of words so full of fireworks that you smile as you listen – not because of humor, but because he was so good at voicing the general truth, with which most struggled. His liking for male flesh gave the world a perfect excuse to brush him aside as a social danger, and he was erased away as someone who used his blackness as an excuse for everything. In fact, his purity scared them off, and his honesty ignited irrational fear in an America where men were draped with medals for killing other men yet imprisoned for loving one another. Pitifully, on this Barcelona day, I do not have the steel to approach James Baldwin, because I know very well that I will jabber rubbish, and that his large, soulful eyes will lower at someone ruefully new to the game. Shortly thereafter, he is dead."

This reminds me of the James Baldwin quote "The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in".

5b8907150c15e8175fed1a638f57b90d.jpg

Uncle Steve is more like Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore now, if you don't surf, he doesn't want to know you. I told you people already Sunset Marquis, The Wiltern, Calabasas Costco, Orange Julius in the Glendale Galleria, Vuitton store at the Beverly Center, that cologne store on Rodeo that sells Commes Des Garcon, and of course Malibu, Zuma, or Redondo Beach.

"if you don't surf, he doesn't want to know you"
:laughing:

Ahoy chaps,

I reckon me see Morrissey today on Kings street with Russel Brand in Manc on the set of STEVEN and me ask him why he was really in LA and he said he was just meeting with his business manager for a day and flew back immediately to Manc and that he sold his house in LA years ago, but he did say he was looking to buy a house next door to Johnny 4fookin Marr in Portland, Oregon which is even further away from Manc than LA! Cheer mats. America is not the world!

Nigel Whales Higginswarts III

You do realise that Morrissey's interest in James Baldwin is almost certainly primarily due to his being gay, rather than black, right? I mean, he's up there with the likes of Oscar Wilde, Truman Capote, Kenneth Williams and 99% of Morrissey's influences as an obvious homosexual icon.

Disagree. Morrissey has shown much wider interest in the rights of black Americans. As a small example, I saw him on his last tour, and the video showing behind "Ganglord" was multiple images of cops beating black civilians.

I reckon did any of you lots see that old movie "The Commitments"? Some Irish Catholic people like to think that they have things in common with black Americans in terms of prejudice. This is all part of Uncle Steve's many phases he goes through in his life like "all reggae is vile". All the prejudice against blacks in the US ended in 1964 and this "prejudice" was only prevalent in the extreme South were all the British immigrants settled in the 1700's. It is overrated. Blacks in the USA have more rights and money than blacks in any other country. This is a country who had a half black president with a 100% black wife for 8 years. You Brits and Euros on this site who save all your money and go to New York, Planet Hollywood Orlando, or The HardRock in Las Vegas, think you know so much about the USA and you don't.

What's the problem with that? That is wonderful. I only hope the insensitive one who doesn't see and doesn't listen :seenoevil::hearnoevil: aka 12 inches read your post and stop talking nonsense about Morrissey.

What's the problem with that? That is wonderful. I only hope the insensitive one who doesn't see and doesn't listen :seenoevil::hearnoevil: aka 12 inches read your post and stop talking nonsense about Morrissey.

It's quite funny how, out of all the insensitive things said on this message board that you could get your panties in a bunch over, it's someone saying they don't believe in Morrissey's humasexuality that upsets you the most. Unhinged bot.

Last edited:
It's quite funny how, out of all the insensitive things said on this message board that you could get your panties in a bunch over, it's someone saying they don't believe in Morrissey's humasexuality that upsets you the most. Dumb bot.
I'm sorry that I insinuated that he may have had some snacks. That was insensitive of me, in hindsight.

It's quite funny how, out of all the insensitive things said on this message board that you could get your panties in a bunch over, it's someone saying they don't believe in Morrissey's humasexuality that upsets you the most. Unhinged bot.

What really upsets me is the way you attack him because under your standards he doesn't show off enough his sexuality and his relationships, when you know he is a very private and sensitive person in many aspects of his life.

I'm sorry that I insinuated that he may have had some snacks. That was insensitive of me, in hindsight.

No, insinuating that he may have had snacks is fine (as long as you are careful to point out that said snacks were vegan snacks). It's only insinuations of M snacking on a cock that make the fan fraus go off the deep end.

Last edited:
No, insinuating that he may have had snacks is fine (as long as you are careful to point out that said snacks were vegan snacks). It's only insinuations of M snacking on a cock that make the fan fraus go off the deep end.

There you are, emulating Kristeen Young at her best. Again.

What's the problem with that? That is wonderful.

There is nothing wrong with that, I was merely pointing it out to another poster who seemed to think this was evidence of Morrissey as some kind of burgeoning black activist. I am no claiming Morrissey has no interest in civil rights , just that his interests have historically always been queer-based. Hence the autobiography extract focusing on Baldwin's sexuality, and the fact that he idolises someone like Baldwin, rather than Malcolm X or somebody. It's easy to see where the appeal lies.

Regarding footage of police violence during 'Ganglord' - call me cynical, I find it hard to believe that the ultimate inspiration here is Morrissey's hatred of authority, and anyone (police, airport officials) daring to tell him what to do.

I don't think Morrissey is a flat-out racist, though his statements have been inconsistent at best. I'm sure he does care about people he thinks are oppressed - I just don't think it's particularly high on his list of interests.

There's nothing wrong with this. And if it were to happen during the screening and if Mr Baldwin were to look down from the screen, I'm sure he would give his quick nod of homologation to said act. It is also a humasexual act, so it gets my stamp of approval ! :thumb:

Blimey! I reckon me just saw Morrissey with Ice Cube at this pub in Santa Monica called the Regal Beagle but me forget me Iphone. All me mats back home in Manc will never believe me! I knew spending me life savings on a trip to LA would be worth it. Cheers....Nigel

There is nothing wrong with that, I was merely pointing it out to another poster who seemed to think this was evidence of Morrissey as some kind of burgeoning black activist. I am no claiming Morrissey has no interest in civil rights , just that his interests have historically always been queer-based. Hence the autobiography extract focusing on Baldwin's sexuality, and the fact that he idolises someone like Baldwin, rather than Malcolm X or somebody. It's easy to see where the appeal lies.

Regarding footage of police violence during 'Ganglord' - call me cynical, I find it hard to believe that the ultimate inspiration here is Morrissey's hatred of authority, and anyone (police, airport officials) daring to tell him what to do.

I don't think Morrissey is a flat-out racist, though his statements have been inconsistent at best. I'm sure he does care about people he thinks are oppressed - I just don't think it's particularly high on his list of interests.

Thank you for not calling him a flat-out racist.
Jesus, I can't believe I wrote that.
But if you don't think it's particular high on his list of interests why do you think he sang about it? And that song is from 2006. I'd say an early warning? And not on one song but more.
Just posing, pretending? Why would he do that?

He could just relax and make some really laid back commercial muzak like a lot of other popstars filling his pockets even more, if he really wanted, as so many say.
Wait a minute, he just can't, even if he considered it.
He is just not that kind of artist. He doesn't even consider it cause he knows he can't.
Does anything I say, has some value as you might consider this could be true?
With all due respect!

On the contrary, I think it's very high in his list of interests caring about people he thinks are opressed. And animals, of course. As a previous poster stated, he presented videos of police brutality in his concerts, he warned people about world peace and how tax money is being used to invade other countries. He even made an statement about colionalism in Malvinas (named Falklands by the appropriators). He talked about the fake dichotomy between Hillary and Mr T, he talked about the latter when they were staying in the same hotel. He gives his opinion about monarchy without mincing his words, Manchester so much to answer for, etc., etc. Lots of examples he thinks and cares about others.

Crykey, I just actually read someones else's post for a change and I thought Mr.T was the real Mr.T and that you people are really referencing Trump.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom