Morrissey in 1979? - @nb1972 / Twitter

Question Is This Actually Morrissey?

Came across this on Twitter today. It's supposed to be a pic of a young Morrissey. What do you think?

FA_xH80UUAs2-AG

UPDATE Oct. 7:

Posted by Neil Barker in the comments:

Hi everyone. Glad you're all enjoying the photos!

The blonde woman is my auntie Susan (she didn't go out with Billy Duffy) and the other people are Carol (neither her nor Susan went out with Morrissey or Billy Duffy) and Carol's then boyfriend Mike.

It is 100% Morrissey though I agree that the first photo looks nothing like him.

Last edited by a moderator:

The blonde woman is my auntie Susan (she didn't go out with Billy Duffy) and the other people are Carol (neither her nor Susan went out with Morrissey or Billy Duffy) and Carol's then boyfriend Mike.

It is 100% Morrissey though I agree that the first photo looks nothing like him.

Cheers for this Neil.
Ignore the deluded.
Presumably you are the Neil from KingBee Records in Chorlton?

Hi Neil!

Did your aunt give a back story to go with these photos?

Seems like they were good pals back in the day?
Hi Rein. It's something I've always known about. My auntie and uncle and my other auntie lived in Stretford in the late '70s. They had a good friend called Richard who was friends with Morrissey (or Steve as they always called him then) and that's how they got to know him. I remember in 1983 when I was 11, my auntie Carole (not to be confused with Carol in the pic) told me that "Steve Morrissey has formed a band" and next thing you know they were on TOTP and I was buying their records! They never heard from him again after that though, sadly.

Who said she doesn't remember him? I'm confused!

Ah I’m sorry, I see that it was the person that posted your tweet here that was questioning if it was really Morrissey, not you or your aunt.

Thanks for sharing the photo :thumb:

Those photos of Moz make me think he was out and about maybe a lot more than he lets on.

So, not in my bedroom in those 'ugly new houses'
I danced my legs down to the knees
But me and my 'true love'
Will never meet again...

Until next weekend in the pub

Or as Terry Hall so eloquently puts it in The Specials song 'Friday Night, Saturday Morning':

But two o'clock has come again
It's time to leave this paradise
Hope the chip shop isn't closed
Cos' their pies are really nice
I'll eat in the taxi queue
Standing in someone else's spew
Wish I had lipstick on my shirt
Instead of piss stains on my shoes
I go out on Friday night and I come home on Saturday morning

How strange is this place of 'M fans' answer that guy Barker that I don't even know who he is as if he had done a feat by publishing those photos! In addition, some who answer him call crazy those who question the veracity of the photos. I clarify that I am not crazy and that I do not know with what purpose that man I publish this, maybe Vegan can explain vegan to me what wave

Those photos of Moz make me think he was out and about maybe a lot more than he lets on.
Yep.
Will never meet again...

I have the feeling he didn’t visit the regular pubs though. Especially not with lipstick on.
Or as Terry Hall so eloquently puts it in The Specials song 'Friday Night, Saturday Morning':

Will never meet again...

He was. As anyone on the Punk scene in Manchester will tell you. He was a regular at Rafters - The Jam, Gen X, Chelsea, The Boys. Also a card carrying member of The Ranch on Dale St where he was in attendance for gigs by The Drones, The Worst, Buzzers, The Distractions, The Fall and many more. He was often in the company of Woody from The Worst and a guy called Richard or Ricardo who used to roadie for the Buzzers. Guyliner and lippy was part of the fun. Just ask Foo Foo Lamar. Moz's fashion statement, pre the Gucci years, was a tweed over coat with ripped green lining and mis matched shoes.

It's not too late for Morrissey to go back to this look. Let's hope he gets the lippy out next tour. :thumb:

Haha!
It weren't Moz in the picture.
Ya Aunt's been tellin' ya some
dippty-do tales.

How strange is this place of 'M fans' answer that guy Barker that I don't even know who he is as if he had done a feat by publishing those photos! In addition, some who answer him call crazy those who question the veracity of the photos. I clarify that I am not crazy and that I do not know with what purpose that man I publish this, maybe Vegan can explain vegan to me what wave
That’s a relief.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom