Morrissey - Ideal Setlist

Mozza220559

Surmontil 50
So next year I hope there are good things on the horizon, obviously he'll do his US leg of his tour justice and hopefully they'll be a few UK/Europe dates chucked in, plus potential Autobiog/Album next year(being a bit wishful here!)

Anywho, I feel now that a few songs need putting back into the vault not to be sang again for a long time, you all know what these are. What songs from the Smiffs/Moz back catalogue do you want to hear live? Mine are...

OUT:

First Of The Gang To Die
You Have Killed Me
How Soon Is Now
Meat Is Murder
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Irish Blood English Heart
Everyday Is Like Sunday

IN:

Swallow On My Neck
Whatever Happens, I Love You (That'd be amazing live)
Sheila Take A Bow
Girl Least Likely To
My Life Is An Endless Succession Of People Saying Goodbye
Children In Pieces
Reader Meet Author

I think these songs would challenge and keep the group on their toes musically, I think they've got very complacent and lazy and along with potential new songs digging a few from the back catalogue should keep them snappy and tight, God knows they need a challenge!

Also Morrissey is going to have to re-imagine the songs and think of the best way to sing them. Plus I think the fans would feel in the same boat as Moz, as the current setlist sort of panders to the casual audience, Morrissey is not a casual singer.

Thoughts? What songs do you want out/putting in?

An ideal setlist? As in, it would never happen but I'd love to hear it....

Lost
My Dearest Love
Come Back to Camden
Boxers
Nobody Loves Us
I've Changed My Plea to Guilty
Late Night, Maudlin Street
Shame is the Name
Interesting Drug
Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?
Tomorrow

Smiths songs - Boy with the Thorn & Last Night I Dreamt...

So next year I hope there are good things on the horizon, obviously he'll do his US leg of his tour justice and hopefully they'll be a few UK/Europe dates chucked in, plus potential Autobiog/Album next year(being a bit wishful here!)

Anywho, I feel now that a few songs need putting back into the vault not to be sang again for a long time, you all know what these are. What songs from the Smiffs/Moz back catalogue do you want to hear live? Mine are...

OUT:

First Of The Gang To Die
You Have Killed Me
How Soon Is Now
Meat Is Murder
Everyday Is Like Sunday

IN:

Swallow On My Neck
Whatever Happens, I Love You (That'd be amazing live)
Sheila Take A Bow
Girl Least Likely To
My Life Is An Endless Succession Of People Saying Goodbye
Children In Pieces
Reader Meet Author

I think these songs would challenge and keep the group on their toes musically, I think they've got very complacent and lazy and along with potential new songs digging a few from the back catalogue should keep them snappy and tight, God knows they need a challenge!

Also Morrissey is going to have to re-imagine the songs and think of the best way to sing them. Plus I think the fans would feel in the same boat as Moz, as the current setlist sort of panders to the casual audience, Morrissey is not a casual singer.

Thoughts? What songs do you want out/putting in?

You must not have heard the atrocities Jesse has committed on Reader Meet Author. That song must be kept out of his hands.

You must not have heard the atrocities Jesse has committed on Reader Meet Author. That song must be kept out of his hands.

Really? That's a shame, I don't know why Jesse is even allowed to be lead guitarist, there's hundereds of great guitarist out there, overall Moz likes Jesse there who's a bit of Mexican rough who can shred a decent melody but offers nothing really exceptional, Boz seems like he's just going through the motions, plonking away looking bored whilst the other 3 just offer their usual 7/10 efforts, they need a major change setlist wise to keep them fresh, tight and to wake them up, I've been saying it years though...

Its a near impossible question!!!
Ive got every single CD of morrisseys, I know every single word to every song hes ever done!
2 many wonderfull tracks 2 choose from! I love and need 2 listen 2 them all !!! :)
But I will have a go..................

First of the gang 2 die
Friday mourning
black clouds
Dearest love
You have killed me.
stop me if you think youve heard this one before
Hand in glove
life is a pigstye
we hate it when our firends become succesfull
Still ill
If you dont like me-dont look at me
These things take time
shame is the name
How can anyone possibly know how I feel
Youve got eveything now
big mouth stikes again
Irish blood english heart
I know its over
Meat is murder (just incredible live!!!! this one!) :)

And the very last song MUST BE........
There is a light that never goes out - Thank you morrissey! :)

Oh and and Id like kristeens set list next year 2 be ........
V the volcanic
Im sorry
Fantastic failure
you must love me
Why cant it be me
the devil made me
night blindness
Kill the father
Comfort is never a gaol
Hes sickened by my crude emotion
Lifes not short - its sooooo long
Depression contest

Thank you kristeen! :)

Here's hoping he plays some of these songs Jan 18th...(honestly though, any Smiths song would do...love them all)

Our Frank
Sister I'm a Poet
Tomorrow
What She Said
Piccadilly Palare
I Know It's Over
Satellite of Love (very doubtful)
Half a Person
Rubber Ring
Last of The Famous International Playboys
Speedway
Do Your Best and Don't Worry
Hairdresser On Fire
I'm Not Sorry
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
Suedehead
Jack The Ripper
Southpaw
A Swallow On My Neck
He Knows I'd Love To See Him
Seasick, Yet Still Docked
Spring-Heeled Jim
I Am Hated For Loving

Okay..let's be honest, this is my first Mozzer concert...I'll take anything.

OUT:

First Of The Gang To Die
You Have Killed Me
How Soon Is Now
Meat Is Murder
Everyday Is Like Sunday

Agree with you about the most appropriate songs to be replaced. I certainly like them but , yes , a little stale for me after all this time ...

IN :

Good Looking man About Town
Father Who Must Be Killed
Maladjusted
Southpaw
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
Mexico
The Queen Is Dead

I realise those changes aren't likely to win me many friends but ... but ... damn you all !

My dream set would be:

You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side
Do Your Best And Don’t Worry
I Want The One I Can’t Have
A Swallow On My Neck
Mute Witness
Boxers
Spring-Heeled Jim
Nobody Loves Us
That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore
Lost
Come Back To Camden
Interesting Drug
We’ll Let You Know
Everday Is Like Sunday
The Never-Played Symphonies
Good Looking Man About Town
It’s Not Your Birthday Anymore
Suedehead
The Edges Are No Longer Parallel
Used To Be A Sweet Boy
Now My Heart Is Full
Maladjusted

Encore:
Sweet And Tender Hooligan
The Last Of The Famous International Playboys (A one song encore is ridiculous, he should play at least two)

In an ideal, perfect world, with the perfect back-up band, and assuming Moz can still hit all the notes... very Smiths-centric. I'll let Moz decide the setlist's order...

The Headmaster Ritual
Paint a Vulgar Picture
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
Speedway
Now My Heart is Full
Jack The Ripper
Let Me Kiss You
I Won't Share You
Stretch Out and Wait
Half a Person
I Want the One I Can't Have
Rubber Ring
Hand in Glove
Tomorrow
Well I Wonder?
The Boy With the Thorn in His Side
A Rush and a Push and the Land is Ours
Last of the Famous International Playboys
Suedehead
I Like You

Okay..let's be honest, this is my first Mozzer concert...I'll take anything.

First morrissey and kristeen young concert ?
Your in for a very pleasant surprise! :) absoulty fantastic live in concert, they really are! :)
The first concert is allways the best! :)
I remeber my first moz/kristeen concert at the royal hall, villa marina, we just couldnt believe we were actually going to see morrissey after all these years, the anticipation was incredible!
And when he appeared on stage, the crowd just erupted with deafening cheers. applause and love for him!

People were dancing and laughing, ect - there were many tears of happyness shed that nite I can tell ya that much!!!!!
An experience that ONLY morrissey and kristeen can give us! well ok patti smith 2! :)

We just love morrissey, love him no matter what! :)

Kristeen was just incredible 2! she kindly sang, v the volacanic, depression contest ect, simply wonderfull! and she got the same loving reception as morrissey! :)

ENJOY!!!! :)

Ideal set:
Maladjusted
The Boy Racer
Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
A Swallow On My Neck
London
Action Is My Middle Name
Something Is Squeezing My Skull
Jack The Ripper
Death At One's Elbow
Stretch Out and Wait
Piccadilly Palare
Glamorous Glue
The Kid's a Looker
Cemetry Gates
Suedehead
Driving Your Girlfriend Home
Panic
I Want The One I Can't Have
Satan Rejected My Soul
Life Is A Pigsty/Auld Lang Syne/How Soon Is Now

--

Art-hounds
The National Front Disco

Ideal band:
Alain and Boz (guitars)
Gary and Spencer (bass and drums)
Mikey Farrell (misc)

Ideal set:
Maladjusted
The Boy Racer
A Swallow On My Neck
London
Action Is My Middle Name
Something Is Squeezing My Skull
Jack The Ripper
Death At One's Elbow
Stretch Out and Wait
Piccadilly Palare
Glamorous Glue
The Kid's a Looker
Cemetry Gates
Suedehead
Driving Your Girlfriend Home
Panic
I Want The One I Can't Have
Satan Rejected My Soul
Life Is A Pigsty/Auld Lang Syne/How Soon Is Now

--

Art-hounds
The National Front Disco

Wha ... ?!? ( rubs eyes in bewilderment and disbelief )

Wha ... ?!? ( rubs eyes in bewilderment and disbelief )

Well I'll explain it to you.

Of his five new tracks, in my opinion only two are irredeemable: People Are The Same Everywhere and Scandinavia. The latter is murky, tuneless, heavy-handed pretension and the former just sounds like an unfinished leftover demo.

I do not think that Action Is My Middle Name and The Kid's a Looker are "great" in the way that everything on Maladjusted was great. But as stand-alone pop songs, divorced from Morrissey's back catalog, they are very solid songs. Good lyrics, good structure...not overwhelming but certainly very pleasant. Action would not be out of place on Time-Life's AM Gold series.

Lastly, this thread is about what ideal setlist I would want to hear Morrissey play. I would not pay 100 dollars to see a nostalgia act by someone who I thought was done as an artist. Therefore I would expect and want to hear at least a couple of new songs, and those are the ones I would pick. And, let's not forget, context is everything. When worked into a well-constructed sequence of a career-spanning set, those particular songs would not bore me, and I think I might even enjoy them more than I would, say, if listening to a new LP or even session that is full of songs that are, at best, "OK."

And yes, I think those songs are OK. Not great, but certainly OK.

I just hope he's got more firepower up his sleeve than OK by the time we get a new record.

Well I'll explain it to you.

Of his five new tracks, in my opinion only two are irredeemable: People Are The Same Everywhere and Scandinavia. The latter is murky, tuneless, heavy-handed pretension and the former just sounds like an unfinished leftover demo.

I do not think that Action Is My Middle Name and The Kid's a Looker are "great" in the way that everything on Maladjusted was great. But as stand-alone pop songs, divorced from Morrissey's back catalog, they are very solid songs. Good lyrics, good structure...not overwhelming but certainly very pleasant. Action would not be out of place on Time-Life's AM Gold series.

Lastly, this thread is about what ideal setlist I would want to hear Morrissey play. I would not pay 100 dollars to see a nostalgia act by someone who I thought was done as an artist. Therefore I would expect and want to hear at least a couple of new songs, and those are the ones I would pick. And, let's not forget, context is everything. When worked into a well-constructed sequence of a career-spanning set, those particular songs would not bore me, and I think I might even enjoy them more than I would, say, if listening to a new LP or even session that is full of songs that are, at best, "OK."

And yes, I think those songs are OK. Not great, but certainly OK.

I just hope he's got more firepower up his sleeve than OK by the time we get a new record.

I'd pay $200 to hear my nostalgia setlist. But he'd also have to sing Cemetry Gates--forgot about that one.

I don't have a problem with him playing the big songs; I only see him once a tour so they're not tired to me.

Anyway, I'd be very happy with:

Panic
Suedehead
Irish Blood, English Heart
Jack The Ripper
The Boy Racer
How Soon Is Now?
The Last of the Famous International Playboys
Trouble Loves Me
The First of the Gang to Die
Nobody Loves Us
Lost
Art-Hounds
November Spawned A Monster
Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
Life Is A Pigsty
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
There is A Light That Never Goes Out

why dont you find out for yourself
Piccadilly palare
spring heeled jim
stretch out and wait
well i wonder
i want the one i cant have
sweetie pie
lifeguard on duty
have a go merchant
my dearest love
trouble loves me
now my heart is full
i know its over
we'll let you know
reel around the fountain

you should of been nice to me
there is a light that never goes out

Even though I've not been to that many Morrissey concerts, I wish he'd vary his setlists a lot more than he does. Also, I know he's big on vegeterianism and that's the reason he plays Meat is Murder nearly every concert, but surely he has to realise that people quickly become intolerant if a certain view is pressed into their face all the time.

My ideal setlist would be:

The Operation
Suedehead
Whatever Happens, I Love You
Crashing Bores
Jack The Ripper
The Edges Are No Longer Parallell
Action is My Middle Name
The National Front Disco
Tomorrow
My Dearest Love