"Morrissey Hospitalized in Michigan" - Billboard.com

UPDATE Jan. 27, 1:15 AM PT:

Uncleskinny posted the link:

Update on Morrissey's condition in Metro Detroit hospital expected to come 'soon,' publicist says - MLive.com
By Eric Lacy on January 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM, updated January 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Excerpt:

DETROIT, MI - An update on the health of English singer and lyricist Morrissey is expected to come Saturday afternoon or evening, his publicist told Mlive Detroit.

Lauren Papapietro said in an e-mail sent 3:11 p.m. Saturday that Morrissey was admitted to Royal Oak's William Beaumont Hospital to undergo tests for a suspected bladder infection.

She e-mailed back at 3:17 p.m. and wrote that she would have "an updated statement soon."

Check Mlive Detroit later today for more updates.

An anonymous person sends the link:

Morrissey Hospitalized in Michigan - Billboard.com
By David Greenwald | January 26, 2013 4:45 AM EST

The singer is 'undergoing tests,' with a pair of tour dates postponed

Morrissey has been hospitalized in Royal Oak, Mich.

According to a rep for the singer, he was admitted to the William Beaumont hospital, "where he is undergoing tests for a suspected bladder infection."

The former Smiths frontman canceled a date in Flint, Mich., on Jan. 24 and has postponed two additional shows. Several of his recent dates, including the night in Flint, had been rescheduled from last year when Morrissey interrupted his October tour to spend time with his hospitalized mother.

Per a previous release, the current trio of dates had been canceled and postponed, respectively, thanks to a "band illness." The tour was initially expected to resume on Monday, though it is unclear if Morrissey's ailment will result in a further delay.

Last edited:
No, it's not, actually. Not all rock is pop.

It isn't, in every instance, popular, but it's certainly "pop".

So that must mean that the music he makes is of the pop genre. Naturally.

That is correct.

Not something they don't like, just something that is stupid.

"You're anonymous!" "You're stupid!" Great stuff. Anyway...

Somebody, like Morrissey, who records pop songs and then travels around the world to perform those songs to tens of thousands of strangers isn't, relative to you, "popular"?

It isn't, in every instance, popular, but it's certainly "pop".

Care to tell me what "pop" is short for?

Somebody, like Morrissey, who records pop songs and then travels around the world to perform those songs to tens of thousands of strangers isn't, relative to you, "popular"?

Morrissey (as of the past ten years or so) records songs primarily of the rock genre. Occasionally, a ballad or alternative number will turn up, but it really never strays too far from rock with post-punk influences.
Just because someone is popular with their own fanbase doesn't mean that the music they produce is stylistically "pop." "Pop" isn't about the artist/band being popular, it's about the style of music they produce currently being the most in-demand, the perusal of which in turn makes the artist/band popular. Morrissey's band's specific style of punk-influenced rock music isn't a go-to sound for the artists/groups currently in residence in the Billboard pop chart - again, which is why he is incapable of landing the major label deal he feels he deserves for being popular with his fanbase. These labels want something they can sell to a majority demographic, not just Smiths and Morrissey fans. And what sells is electronic-based dance music, the likes of Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, etc. THAT is the current definition of what is "pop." Morrissey was a pop artist when he made guitar-based new wave from the inception of his solo career up until around "Kill Uncle." Then the style of music he began producing - while still popular with his fans and generating reasonable interest from a wider demographic than, say, now - did not match up with trend. That's what "pop" is. It's not that your songs are popular because of who you are (Morrissey), it's that you are popular because your songs are in a style that is currently popular.

Care to tell me what "pop" is short for?

Morrissey (as of the past ten years or so) records songs primarily of the rock genre. Occasionally, a ballad or alternative number will turn up, but it really never strays too far from rock with post-punk influences.
Just because someone is popular with their own fanbase doesn't mean that the music they produce is stylistically "pop." "Pop" isn't about the artist/band being popular, it's about the style of music they produce currently being the most in-demand, the perusal of which in turn makes the artist/band popular. Morrissey's band's specific style of punk-influenced rock music isn't a go-to sound for the artists/groups currently in residence in the Billboard pop chart - again, which is why he is incapable of landing the major label deal he feels he deserves for being popular with his fanbase. These labels want something they can sell to a majority demographic, not just Smiths and Morrissey fans. And what sells is electronic-based dance music, the likes of Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, etc. THAT is the current definition of what is "pop." Morrissey was a pop artist when he made guitar-based new wave from the inception of his solo career up until around "Kill Uncle." Then the style of music he began producing - while still popular with his fans and generating reasonable interest from a wider demographic than, say, now - did not match up with trend. That's what "pop" is. It's not that your songs are popular because of who you are (Morrissey), it's that you are popular because your songs are in a style that is currently popular.

If Throwing My Arms Around Paris isn't a pop song--and a shitty one at that, with a shitty "fun" pop video (equal in quality to a christian pop band video)--I don't know what is. It was played on my local grocery store's radio station and they play nothing but US top 40.

If Throwing My Arms Around Paris isn't a pop song--and a shitty one at that, with a shitty "fun" pop video (equal in quality to a christian pop band video)--I don't know what is. It was played on my local grocery store's radio station and they play nothing but US top 40.

tumblr_m1j068dzQ71qcpel0.jpg

Well, this is the kind of thing that happens when you let your local grocery store's radio station define "pop" for you.

tumblr_m1j068dzQ71qcpel0.jpg

Well, this is the kind of thing that happens when you let your local grocery store's radio station define "pop" for you.

John Mayer, Bruno Mars, Maroon 5, and Taylor Swift are "pop" acts, that sell the same amount (sometimes more) of albums that Katy Perry and Lady Gaga do, and that is the kind of "music" that "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" is. Sorry, that that you don't have a clue about what "pop' is, it is like you say, what is popular at the time is the current definition of pop; so rightly, it is horrid dance music but/AND light guitar bullshit ballads and hiphop with pretty boys AND boy bands. Sorry, my point whooooshed over your head, f***wad.

John Mayer, Bruno Mars, Maroon 5, and Taylor Swift are "pop" acts, that sell the same amount (sometimes more) of albums that Katy Perry and Lady Gaga do, and that is the kind of "music" that "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" is. Sorry, that that you don't have a clue about what "pop' is, it is like you say, what is popular at the time is the current definition of pop; so rightly, it is horrid dance music but/AND light guitar bullshit ballads and hiphop with pretty boys AND boy bands. Sorry, my point whooooshed over your head, f***wad.

And Morrissey's pop chart ranking for the "Paris" single issssssss?

Yeaaaaaah, that's what I thought. Valiant effort, bro. Maybe next time.
Something to keep in mind: you look more desperate when you start letting it get to you.

Last edited:
No, it's not, actually. Not all rock is pop.

So that must mean that the music he makes is of the pop genre. Naturally.

Not something they don't like, just something that is stupid.

Has davidt made you a mod yet? You seem to have all the (embarrassing) credentials...

Wow... a woman with an autistic child who is more insulated and narcissistic than my "ass-pie" (I mean Asperger's/autistic) partner! Lady, go get on some facking medication yourself STAT. Münchausen-syndrome-by-proxy Mommy heal thyself, you heartless wench. You're lashing out at Morrissey simply because you know in your heart you wish you had swallowed instead of passing your hideous genes onward, and now you have to pay the price (i.e. your entire miserable life). Enjoy!

Nope, I can be pretty harsh in public, as well. She comes off like an entitled cow, and she uses her little crotch-monkey as a shield. ("Oh, that poor kid's Mommy can demand whatever she wants because her poor, precious kid has 'special needs'.) The lesson of "November Spawned A Monster" is totally lost on this loony, entitled "Mommy Dearest".

I had to eat cancellation fees for this show, and I'm not griping up a storm. FFS - Morrissey is genuinely ill, and I just hope he gets better even if he never re-schedules these dates. He doesn't owe me anything at all. That kvetching, moaning sow just won't STFU, and, right now, I am not the one.

Holy Toledo, you have mastered the ad hominem attack! What a champ! Or, in keeping with your M.O., should I say chimp? wimp? Perhaps angry white male is the one that fits best.

LOL. This site can dish it out, but just can't take it. HILARIOUS.

The site itself doesn't do anything at all. You can argue certain posters do this , that or the other but that's something quite different. After all , if , say, three people in a car are having an argument , that doesn't mean the car itself is arguing or argumentative , etc., does it ?

I know it probably sounds a lot like splitting hairs , but the sweeping dismissiveness just doesn't make much sense ...

The site itself doesn't do anything at all. You can argue certain posters do this , that or the other but that's something quite different. After all , if , say, three people in a car are having an argument , that doesn't mean the car itself is arguing or argumentative , etc., does it ?

I know it probably sounds a lot like splitting hairs , but the sweeping dismissiveness just doesn't make much sense ...

If this site was an actual homogenous entity with an ideology, wouldn't we be referring to it as The Site? :p

He sings pop songs and his a high public profile (relative to, say, you) for doing so; that makes him a pop star (albeit waning). Shall we just settle for calling him a wannabe pop star?

Perhaps you are from the UK where the definition of pop star/pop music is defined a little differently than here in the US. The Smiths was/is not regarded as a pop act. They are considered alternative rock--just like R.E.M. and The Smashing Pumpkins. Sometimes these groups have a crossover hit that charts in the Mainstream Top 40 (Pop Songs). For example, Smashing Pumpkins' 1979 made it to position #10 on US Billboard Pop Songs. Yet, it was #1 on US Billboard Alternative Songs.

If this site was an actual homogenous entity with an ideology, wouldn't we be referring to it as The Site? :p

Hmmm , I wonder if the day ever comes when Davidt has to shut down the servers for good , will The Site seek to violently defend itself ? Will we , if idly looking to log back in one day , find that The Site is strangely enough up and running and has renamed itself ... HAL :eek: !?

Hmmm , I wonder if the day ever comes when Davidt has to shut down the servers for good , will The Site seek to violently defend itself ? Will we , if idly looking to log back in one day , find that The Site is strangely enough up and running and has renamed itself ... HAL :eek: !?

Great movie, great scene... Hal pleading for his life. Let's hope Solo doesn't make an exit anytime soon. :)

Back
Top Bottom