Morrissey gets a mention in the novel "Pictures Of You"

L

Librarian on Fire

In Matt Thorne's novel "Pictures of You" he mentions a character liking the Smiths.

"For Alison's birthday, he gave here a copy of "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me", and to Suzanne as a sibling-pacifying unbirthday present "Strangeways, Here We Come".....Uncle Eric had only given Alison "Kiss Me" rather that "Strangeways" because "Kiss Me" was a double, and therefore more expensive. He himself preferred the Smiths album, as did both sisters. Alison tried her best to get into her present, but aside from "Catch" and "Just Like Heaven", the record sounded too samey, and had little of the swagger of the best tacks of "Strangeways", like "Girlfriend in a Coma", "Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me", or "I Won't Share You". Also, although Robert Smiths's interviews in Smash Hits were very entertaining, she got the impression that he was more comical figure than Morrissey, and on the few occasions that she saw teenagers in her area wearing T-shirts for either band, the ones sporting Smiths shirts looked grown up and intelligent, while the Cure fans just seemed odd."

Sounds as if the author knows what he's talking about. I'm only a quarter of the way into the novel, and frankly that was the best part. Thorne's previous novel "Eight Minutes Idle" (winner of an Encore prize 1999 (?)) was much better. Set in a call centre it really captured the boredom of work, and the characters were so clearly defined. I liked how he captured politics of office life and the working relationships. His other novel, "Dreaming of Strangers" was utter shite. I've gone all low-brow. I blame Nick Hornby.

> In Matt Thorne's novel "Pictures of You" he mentions a character
> liking the Smiths.

And this from page 102 "...Alison sat dwon and surveyed the lounge, taking in the Union Jack flag and puzzling at the small change scattered across the carpet. 'The death of Britpop?' she guessed.
'Close. Morrissey supporting Madness at Finsbury Park."

I've given up on the book.

from the evidence you give, you've definitely made the right decision. Sounds awful. Far too referenced to the author's life. And the author doesn't sound interesting.

> And this from page 102 "...Alison sat dwon and surveyed the lounge,
> taking in the Union Jack flag and puzzling at the small change scattered
> across the carpet. 'The death of Britpop?' she guessed.
> 'Close. Morrissey supporting Madness at Finsbury Park."

> I've given up on the book.

Back
Top Bottom