Morrissey & Gender

A

Anonymous

Will Self, from The Importance Of Being Morrissey: "I think alot of men respond to it at a homoerotic level. I think it speaks to the homosexual aspect in a lot of heterosexual men."

Perhaps because of his comments on feminism and masculinism a lot has been said and written about Morrissey's specific appeal to heterosexual men. Is this a romantic myth that has arisen around him? What effect, if any, do you think feminist thought has had on his work & persona? Considering he once said 'I feel closer to transgenderism than anything else' do you think Morrissey could be described as a female artist? I remember an article written by Christopher Hitchens in Vanity Fair here* where he discusses solemnity as a female trait in arguing that women aren't funny. Morrissey uses dirty puns and wordplay in his writing, often with homoerotic overtones - yet a large part of his appeal seems to be his claim to seriousness and sensitivity. Therein lies an aspect of his irony. In Gavin Hopp's recent book he describes Camp as being 'a disguise that fails' - what relation do you think this has to Morrissey's approach to gender? Discuss.

*http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/01/hitchens200701

Will Self, from The Importance Of Being Morrissey: "I think alot of men respond to it at a homoerotic level. I think it speaks to the homosexual aspect in a lot of heterosexual men."

Perhaps because of his comments on feminism and masculinism a lot has been said and written about Morrissey's specific appeal to heterosexual men. Is this a romantic myth that has arisen around him? What effect, if any, do you think feminist thought has had on his work & persona? Considering he once said 'I feel closer to transgenderism than anything else' do you think Morrissey could be described as a female artist? I remember an article written by Christopher Hitchens in Vanity Fair here* where he discusses solemnity as a female trait in arguing that women aren't funny. Morrissey uses dirty puns and wordplay in his writing, often with homoerotic overtones - yet a large part of his appeal seems to be his claim to seriousness and sensitivity. Therein lies an aspect of his irony. In Gavin Hopp's recent book he describes Camp as being 'a disguise that fails' - what relation do you think this has to Morrissey's approach to gender? Discuss.

*http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/01/hitchens200701

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey can't be described as a female artist because, you know, he isn't female.

Morrissey can't be described as a female artist because, you know, he isn't female.

How f***ing crazy would it be if he had a vagina, though? Like, it's Morrissey as we all know him for all this time, but upon his death and autopsy or whatever, it is revealed to the public that he had a vagina. And the reason Johnny ended the Smiths wasn't because of all that van-hiring bullshit, but REALLY because Morrissey showed him his vagina and it freaked Johnny the f*** out.

747920_o.gif

How f***ing crazy would it be if he had a vagina, though? Like, it's Morrissey as we all know him for all this time, but upon his death and autopsy or whatever, it is revealed to the public that he had a vagina. And the reason Johnny ended the Smiths wasn't because of all that van-hiring bullshit, but REALLY because Morrissey showed him his vagina and it freaked Johnny the f*** out.

747920_o.gif

That would actually explain a lot.

It all makes sense now:

Snide comments - PMS
Cancels show - Menstruation
Abandons concert - Sand
Humiliating the band - Penis envy

he once said 'I feel closer to transgenderism than anything else' do you think Morrissey could be described as a female artist?

I suspect Morrissey is a bit like a lesbian. His brain is that of a woman's, his body that of a man's. His woman brain is attracted to men and that is where we pick up the homoerotic element in his work, but his body which always beats the brain in the game because physical yearnings trump thought, desires women. So at the end of the day I think he is technically heterosexual, but with a special brain that yearns to be treated like a woman. The anomaly makes for a fascinating example of the sacred feminine because he has the fire and drive of a man, but the car is being driven by a woman who at the end of the day wants to lie down with another woman while still appreciating the male form as she did in her previous life, hence the homoerotic stuff.

Last edited:
I suspect Morrissey is a bit like a lesbian. His brain is that of a woman's, his body that of a man's. His woman brain is attracted to men and that is where we pick up the homoerotic element in his work, but his body which always beats the brain in the game because physical yearnings trump thought, desires women. So at the end of the day I think he is technically heterosexual, but with a special brain that yearns to be treated like a woman. The anomaly makes for a fascinating example of the sacred feminine because he has the fire and drive of a man, but the car is being driven by a woman who at the end of the day wants to lie down with another woman while still appreciating the male form as she did in her previous life, hence the homoerotic stuff.

747920_o.gif

That would actually explain a lot.

It all makes sense now:

Snide comments - PMS
Cancels show - Menstruation
Abandons concert - Sand
Humiliating the band - Penis envy

God I love you guys.

]

I can't stop laughing about the idea of Moz just flapping the curtains at Marr one day in the studio . Mcrickson, this is a great bit of lunacy...

Following on , maybe Marr's story about irate van-rental companies ringing to whinge about dented vehicles was really a euphemism for ... ?

No , I'll answer this one myself. "Dented vehicle" = vagina. "Irate van-rental company" = Moz. Eureka !

Hey, don't blame me for the headlong dive into the gutter. mcrickson pushed me...

Last edited:
I can't stop laughing about the idea of Moz just flapping the curtains at Marr one day in the studio . Mcrickson, this is a great bit of lunacy...

Following on , maybe Marr's story about irate van-rental companies ringing to whinge about dented vehicles was really a euphemism for ... ?

No , I'll answer this one myself. "Dented vehicle" = vagina. "Irate van-rental company" = Moz. Eureka !

Hey, don't blame me for the headlong dive into the gutter. mcrickson pushed me...

I wonder if all this is going to get me banned from shows. If so, will you all protest outside the venue with me wearing shirts that read "Dented vehicle = vagina"?

Ah, who am I kidding, he's never gonna come back to Pittsburgh anyway.

I wonder if all this is going to get me banned from shows. If so, will you all protest outside the venue with me wearing shirts that read "Dented vehicle = vagina"?

Ah, who am I kidding, he's never gonna come back to Pittsburgh anyway.

Would love to see the "Dented vehicle = vagina" T-shirts. If He does turn up in Pittsburgh, though, I will definitely protest with you, clad in shirt,.... oh, hang on , I think I promised to "wash someone's van" that day ( oh god, it's like I can't stop ...)...

I will definitely protest with you, clad in shirt,.... oh, hang on , I think I promised to "wash someone's van" that day

"into each corner/dunking the chamois/just think of the goodwill" "don't say you'll hold it steady/then you let it go" "well, it's here right under your nose/and you just can't see it, can you?"

Oh yeah, I bet he likes having his van tongue-washed.

He's talking about a ladder, not his dick.

"into each corner/dunking the chamois/just think of the goodwill" "don't say you'll hold it steady/then you let it go" "well, it's here right under your nose/and you just can't see it, can you?"

Oh yeah, I bet he likes having his van tongue-washed.

Does that suggest "taking the van to the car-wash" now means "vibrator use" ?

Last edited:
Does that suggest "taking the van to the car-wash" now means "vibrator use" ?

Yes. He didn't come up with the title 'Oscillate Wildly' from nowhere, ya know.

I bet you're just dying to know what "getting the oil checked" pertains to!

Yes. He didn't come up with the title 'Oscillate Wildly' from nowhere, ya know.

Which certainly explains why that particular tune went lyric-less.

Obviously ,in "TIALTNGO" , the line "And if a double - decker bus crashes into us..." is unmistakably a reference to Morrissey's fear of being usurped in the relationship by a heavier - breasted competitor . Yes ! That's it !

Probably should apologise to the original anonymous poster for helping to steer this thread into Smut Corner. And, no, you grubs, "Smut Corner" isn't a euphemism for "dented vehicle"...

Back
Top Bottom