morrissey frink thread!

í'd never really 'got' those old Catlin shots before; sometimes saturation can dilute the power of an image. But, yeah, they are pretty pretty.

And, good lord, that was a damn fine hair day in Feb '85. Pretty much the finest Quiff of Smiffs-era {as someone who heartily subscribes to the theory that The Quiff didn't really attain immaculate perfection until the solo years ~ he had to up his game from '87; he could no longer rely on his hair looking good in comparison with the...ah...varied...efforts of Wythenshawe's own Keef Jones?}

That 5th B&W shot is illegally good. {The colour is nice for the knitwear, less so for the skincare? }

í'm sure he must have been weary of inkie snappers setting up yet another awful "Orphée" ordeal. But who can resist a floor-length reflection...?

Joe, the 5th one is what sparked my obsession.

It was used by Rough Trade on promo photos but for some reason I'd never realised how good it was, on its own, until yesterday. Seeing them all together just made it more obvious.

They also used a cropped version of another shot, which does nothing for me.

MozCatlinCropped.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the correct order but I like how he looks slightly awkward in the 1st picture, finds his pose in the 2nd and 3rd and then becomes increasingly interested in his own reflection in the 4th and 5th. And he seems to like what he's seeing...

I've always said, and I will repeat this ad infinitum, 1985 was his prime Smiths year. Hair, fashion, charms - top game.

There are other, less flattering, colour shots of him crouching on the fuzzy carpet under a staircase next to the half-rotten carcass of some luckless house plant - not sure what they were going for here...

MorrisseyCatlinFloor.jpg

Maybe he just wanted to pick up the scraps of paper...

Last edited:

It was used by Rough Trade on promo photos but for some reason I'd never realised how good it was, on its own, until yesterday. Seeing them all together just made it more obvious.

View attachment 69498

I'm not sure if this is the correct order but I like how he looks slightly awkward in the 1st picture, finds his pose in the 2nd and 3rd and then becomes increasingly interested in his own reflection in the 4th and 5th. And he seems to like what he's seeing...

I've always said, and I will repeat this ad infinitum, 1985 was his prime Smiths year. Hair, fashion, charms - top game.

There are other, less flattering, colour shots of him crouching on the fuzzy carpet under a staircase next to the half-rotten carcass of some luckless house plant - not sure what they were going for here...

View attachment 69499

Hiding from the cheese & whine...? The only interesting thing about it, other than his pallor, are the double rings.

Oh I’m sorry, is that you in the photo? Since you seemed to take such offense to my harmless joke.
Congratulations - a fantastic joke (which has been deleted, as I can see).
No, I do not know who the woman in the picture is, nor do I know who the anonymous person is who felt like sharing this photograph.

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 69498

View attachment 69499

I love these photos for the 80s-ness.

I really want to live in a mews house in 1983 with pot plants & a peacock chair. And possibly I'd get involved in a crime/showbiz scandal with Bergerac who has left Jersey to investigate a case.

I love these photos for the 80s-ness.

I really want to live in a mews house in 1983 with pot plants & a peacock chair. And possibly I'd get involved in a crime/showbiz scandal with Bergerac who has left Jersey to investigate a case.

I love the details on his outfit - the rolled up sleeves, the watch, the rings (as Joe mentioned) and obviously the shirt (my avi was chosen for a reason...).

MozCatlinColourBig.jpeg

Congratulations - a fantastic joke (which has been deleted, as I can see).
No, I do not know who the woman in the picture is, nor do I know who the anonymous person is who felt like sharing this photograph.

I wouldn’t call it ‘fantastic’, but if you think so. Lol.

í am no expert in such things, but í think her alabaster may be crashing down somewhat...

While looking for some more 1985 frink, I came across Christina Birrer's website.

She took the fabulous FAKE pictures as well as some other notable photos of him around the same time and she has also worked with Linder on some of her best known work. She/She

MorrisseyBirrerBigFake.jpg

MorrisseyBirrerColourFake.jpg

MorrisseyBirrerBW.jpg

MorrisseyBirrerLyingColour.jpg

Something I wasn't aware of is that she apparently filmed some Super 8 footage of Morrissey in 1988...? There are a couple of stills in the "Archive Portraits" section of her homepage.

MozBirrerSuper8StillsManchester1988_2.JPG

MozBirrerSuper8StillsManchester1988_3.JPG

MozBirrerSuper8StillsManchester1988.JPG

Morrissey posing with a gun.

Which, of course - takes us back to 1985 (presumably ?) and these Lawrence Watson shots.

MorrisseyWatsonGunContacts.jpg

Last edited:
While looking for some more 1985 frink, I came across Christina Birrer's website.

She took the fabulous FAKE pictures as well as some other notable photos of him around the same time and she has also worked with Linder on some of her best known work. She/She

View attachment 69551

View attachment 69553

View attachment 69552

View attachment 69558

Something I wasn't aware of is that she apparently filmed some Super 8 footage of Morrissey in 1988...? There are a couple of stills in the "Archive Portraits" section of her homepage.

View attachment 69556

View attachment 69557

View attachment 69555

Which, of course - takes us back to 1985 (presumably ?) and these Lawrence Watson shots.

View attachment 69554

Find Find Find! Kudos to you Dirty Mary!

So somewhere in this world there exists Super8 footage of Morrissey rolling about his hearth rug with a gun in Manchester in 1988...?

Heavens to Betsy.

Getting some minor Kenneth Anger vibes of these frames, especially that super-grainy single still... :hearteyes:

In the bottom strip of the triptych, if you peek real hard, you can see a copy of "Rank " on its side, over M.'s shoulder. Or it could be a print of John D. Green's photograph of Alexandra Bastedo.

í am no Nugent, but í watch enough "Law & Order" to guess that the firearm looks to be same model as the one he is waving in Lawrence Watson's shots {which are from early '89 í believe}. His own rod? For Ladies Night at the Haçienda?

For some reason that first strip of frames reminds me of this Monfourny classic, from 3 years later...

Morrissey Renaud Monfourny 1991 (iii).jpg

ps ~ apparently the FAKE session of 1985 was shot in...Vauxhall.

í loved this little description on her site ~

Birrer Morrissey quote.jpg

And this is one of CB's others, undated? undateable? ~

Always liked those photos, they’re included as a booklet that came with
a cassette and Ludus badge called Pickpocket, that I have.
View attachment 69551

View attachment 69553

View attachment 69552

View attachment 69558

View attachment 69556

View attachment 69557

View attachment 69555

View attachment 69554

release the footage !!! :pray:

Find Find Find! Kudos to you Dirty Mary!

I that my name now? Who will be Crazy Larry and where's my vintage Charger?

So somewhere in this world there exists Super8 footage of Morrissey rolling about his hearth rug with a gun in Manchester in 1988...?

Heavens to Betsy.

Getting some minor Kenneth Anger vibes of these frames, especially that super-grainy single still... :hearteyes:

In the bottom strip of the triptych, if you peek real hard, you can see a copy of "Rank " on its side, over M.'s shoulder. Or it could be a print of John D. Green's photograph of Alexandra Bastedo.

í am no Nugent, but í watch enough "Law & Order" to guess that the firearm looks to be same model as the one he is waving in Lawrence Watson's shots {which are from early '89 í believe}. His own rod? For Ladies Night at the Haçienda?

I was wondering about the year. Watson is, by his own admission, bad with dating his work, but since it is included in his The Smiths book (which I don't have handy right now) I assumed it was from that era. Rogan used it in the 1985 section of his Visual Documentary, which is why I associate it with that year in particular.

For some reason that first strip of frames reminds me of this Monfourny classic, from 3 years later...

View attachment 69573

The dummy shoot. Always wondered what the hell happened to his poor hair that day as it looks all shaggy and dishevelled...

And this is one of CB's others, undated? undateable?

That t shirt he wore in at least two different photoshoots, one seems to be ~1987, World Won't Listen poster in the back, decent hair, no watch

IDon'tEatMyFriends_2.jpg

IDon'tEatMyFriends_3.jpg

... and this one is a bit harder to date, but the terribly short non-quiff suggests 1986, despite the Joke promo poster behind him...? Maybe? Or a very unfortunate day in 1985?
He's wearing the watch in the Birrer shot as well so maybe taken the same day.

IDon'tEatMyFriends_1.jpg

These are also hers, all from the FAKE shoot for Record Mirror, I think.

Love the lighting in the Boy lyric sheet.

smash-hits-september-1985BoyLyrics.jpg

MorrisseyBirrerRMAug85Details.jpg

MorrisseyBirrer1985.jpg

Back
Top Bottom