Morrissey favourites you find strangely overrated?

Roma De Moz

Fat Children Took My Life
For me, it's 'Life is A Pigsty'. It sours and sours toward an explosive conclusion that never quite arrives, and it will always rank second to the sublime 'Dear God, Please Help Me' on the Ringleader record.

What are everyone else's?

I also agree about Pigsty... the first part is nice but the second part sounds like something by the Scorpions. I also could never figure out why people like The Boy With The Thorn In His Side.

Well, I sometimes have the same when I listen to "I know it's gonna happen someday" :rolleyes:

I usually skip ‘We’ll let you know’

I know it’s Morrissey’s favourite but I just get into it, I’ve always found it a bit boring.

Although I do quite like it live especially on Beethoven was deaf

Charming Man does nothing for me. Never has, never will. Twee, too jingle jangle, and just not very good in my opinion.

How Soon Is Now? I find too long and a bit dull.

The Boy With The Thorn In His Side I don't really like for the same reasons as This Charming Man.

Never Had No One Ever I could do without as well. Too pondering and doesn't really go anywhere.

I agree about Pigsty. I just find it dull and overrated. I have really tried, but I find To Me You Are A Work Of Art so much more appealing. Girlfriend In A Coma, Death Of A Disco Dancer and Hairdresser On Fire don't do it for me either.

Charming Man does nothing for me. Never has, never will. Twee, too jingle jangle, and just not very good in my opinion.

How Soon Is Now? I find too long and a bit dull.

The Boy With The Thorn In His Side I don't really like for the same reasons as This Charming Man.

Never Had No One Ever I could do without as well. Too pondering and doesn't really go anywhere.
You should listen to something more up your street, perhaps u2 or Coldplay you phillistine

Got to be Pigsty for me, I never understood the fascination with that song...that and possibly "To Me You Are A Work Of Art". 2 duds in my opinion - but how can anyone not like This Charming Man / The Boy With The Thorn..? Two of the most upbeat Smiths songs :confused:

Cpuldn't agree more with "Pigsty". It's even more dull since people compared it to "Bohemian Rhapsody" before it's release. It's plain dull.

HSIN. Can't understand the love for it. I tend to think it's just due to it being overplayed on the radio and people who can't think for themselves just respond to the familiarity of it.

I like the lyrics but musically it just goes on and on and on, boring me to death. Two minutes could have been cut from it easily.

When I 1st heard Pigsty I thought it was alright but overproduced. But I was walking through this avenue covered in trees and in came onto my ipod and for a sec I actually thought it was raining. Then I realised there was sun shining through the trees and it was just perfect_loved it ever since. I never really liked Interlude but some people adore so..

I actually can't think of any Morrissey/Smiths songs that I actually hate. Some I find a bit overrated, or think are boring or bland or just aren't my style, but I at least like a little all of the songs. I'm not saying that that's special of me, or that it makes me a "better" fan than you all, I'd just like to point out that I think I might like everything he's ever written/recorded.

But some that come to mind as being overrated (but that I do not dislike) are:
Let Me Kiss You. Very good instrumentation, but so-so vocals and mediocre lyrics, and it gets WAY too much attention especially when compared to the many sinfully overlooked tracks

Dear God, Please Help Me. Some parts of the music I like, but it drags on far too long and sticks out like a sore thumb at track 2. It doesn't grab your attention there, it doesn't provide a balance, it just doesn't work at track 2. The vocals aren't very pleasing and the lyrics are poor.

I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now. The guitar is pretty good at times, and for a few very brief moments the singing is good, but mostly it is unappealing.

Lost. I like it, but it's just not that great, nothing wows me about it.

Miserable Lie. Nothing interesting about it, hideous lyrics, and a failure on all levels. My least favorite Smiths or solo song, but I don't absolutely detest it.

Cosmic Dancer. Yeah it's a cover, but it has been played way too much by Morrissey and I've heard lots of fans raving about it as a great cover, but where's the love for A Song from Under the Floorboards, or East West, or Golden Lights?

Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself. It isn't that bad, but it offers nothing. The lyrics are decent, the vocals are decent, and the music it decent, but that's all it is, decent. There is nothing special or intriguing here.

Last edited:
So far, "Lost" has my second vote. Dismally overrated.

I love 'Life Is A Pigsty', well I love it and hate it at the same time. Its very hard hitting for such a slow paced song, sometimes I find it hard to play the whole song cos it's quite upsetting. I first heard it when I was going through a tough time, as we all do, so it reminds me of that.

I can't say that any Morrissey song is overated cos I personaly dont know anyone that rates him highly! Except for you lot of course....

Dear God, Please Help Me. Some parts of the music I like, but it drags on far too long and sticks out like a sore thumb at track 2. It doesn't grab your attention there, it doesn't provide a balance, it just doesn't work at track 2. The vocals aren't very pleasing and the lyrics are poor.

Hmm. I don't think the lyrics are poor at all, I think the vulgarity of the lyrical content is something which is essential to the song, because it juxtaposes so sharply and wittily with the operatic nature of the music. Just thought I'd add that.

The Boy with The Thorn in His Side
I Know it's Going to Happen Someday
I'll Never be Anybody's Hero Now
The More You Ignore Me

You should listen to something more up your street, perhaps u2 or Coldplay you phillistine

So obviously not thinking four particular songs that you like are great means I'm not actually a real fan, despite going to 37 gigs in two years, owning everything ever released, having hundreds of live bootleg albums and three framed Morrissey items on my living room wall.

f*** you. I could've said THESE SONGS ARE SHIT! but I didn't. I named four songs I find overrated and stated my opinions why. Having a different opinion to you doesn't mean I lack and knowledge of music and what makes a good song. It's f***ing objective, man.

I'll go listen to Southpaw Grammar instead.

Last edited:
Any track off of "Maladjusted". With apologies, I'm baffled when people claim to love songs off that album.

Back
Top Bottom