"Morrissey FAQ" review by J. Church - PLAYBACK:stl

Miguel sends the link:

D. McKinney | Morrissey FAQ: All That’s Left to Know about this Charming Man (Backbeat Books) - PLAYBACK.stl
Written by J. Church
Sunday, 31 May 2015 19:04

Excerpt:

Here we go again. Another compendium for the masses. Another anthology for the fanatics. Another compilation for the people. But before we question why another tome on the Pope of Mope is warranted, let’s look at what this addition to the Morrissey canon offers.

Citing over 100 articles and more than a dozen websites and books (including Simon Goddard’s Songs That Saved Your Life: The Art of the Smiths 1982-1987, reviewed by PLAYBACK:stl in 2013), Morrissey FAQ contains some hidden gems and surprising insights. Broken into classifications, the 41 “chapters” deliver a skimmer’s delight. Readers can peruse sections noting Morrissey’s TV appearances, music videos, DVD/videotape releases, bandmate biographies, and an impressive 21-page discography. Yes, 21 pages! (Take that Taylor Swift!) Approximately 130 pages, the majority of the book, is reserved for an exhaustive track listing and dissection of his albums from The Smiths’ self-titled debut through the most recent solo releases. Overall, Morrissey FAQ reads like a checklist for Morrissey/Smiths collectors.

Related item:

I genuinely don't know how any reviewer can get ANYTHING positive out of this book. It's the worst book ever in the history of Morrissey books (and that certainly says something because there are many horrible books around). There is absolutely nothing new whatsoever and it's badly written. There are tons of factual errors (for example, ITMAAP is apparently written by Morrissey/Whyte and CBTC was never played live). One chapter is called "We Like It When Our Friends Become Successful - Famous Friends" and it randomly lists the following people: Russell Brand, Len Brown, Pete Burns, Lloyd Cole, Howard Devoto, James Maker, Cathal Smyth and Michael Stipe.
No mention of Linder or Chrissie Hynde who are both long-standing and very good friends to this day. No mention of Kirsty MacColl who, too, was a very good friend until her tragic death.

Another chapter is called "Get Off The Stage - Important Gigs" and it lists:

Wolverhampton Civic Hall, England (December 22, 1988),
Dublin National Stadium, Dublin (April 27, 1991),
San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego (May 30, 1991),
Great Western Forum, Los Angeles (June 2, 1991),
Starplex, Dallas (June 17, 1991),
UCLA Pauley Pavilion, Los Angeles (November 1, 1991),
Madstock, Finsbury Park, London (August 8, 1992),
Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood (October 10 and 11, 1992),
Coachella Valley Music and Art Festival, Indio, California (October 9, 1999, April 17, 2009),
MEN Arena, Manchester (May 22, 2004)
Meltdown Festival 2004, Royal Festival Hall, London (June 11, 2004),
Austin Music Hall, Austin (March 16, 2006),
BBC Radio Theatre (February 11, 2009),
Hollywood High School, Hollywood (March 2, 2013)

How can you take someone seriously who calls a chapter "I Am Two People - Five Kick-Ass Things Morrissey Has Done"? Here is an example ...

His Smug Mug (last entry)

"Morrissey is fifty-six and doesn't care anymore. He has gone completely gray, he is fat, he has wrinkles, and he is fine with it. It is very kick-ass that he is comfortable with aging, unlike his contemporary Robert Smith, who still insists on wearing the white face paint and eyeliner on top of his stubble. Morrissey still dresses stylishly and dresses his age (except for those pants he wore at the 2013 Nobel Peace Prize concert). He revels in being an elder statesmen of indie rock and can still melt with his clear blue eyes and darling dimples. Morrissey acting his age is a very kick-ass thing to do in a world where image is everything."

I have not read it but it does sound shitty as if a 16 year old girl wrote it on tumblr

She constantly begins sentences (on skinheads, on football) with "As a dumb American ..." :lbf:

This is what she has to say about his "friend" Len Brown:

"A respected music journalist who has interviewed Morrissey countless times, Len Brown has the honor of being one of the only journalists who has an actual friendship with Morrissey. Len complied all of his interactions and interviews with Morrissey and released the Omnibus book Meetings With Morrissey, a very good and in-depth book about Morrissey's personal life and outlook. Meetings With Morrissey and the videos that accompanied it (available on YouTube) have that friendly, jovial vibe that only real friends can get, with Morrissey being as down to Earth as Morrissey can possibly get. In a motion of true friendship and respect, Len gifted Morrissey with a copy of a Gregory Isaacs single that was released on Attack Records back in 1974 (before the label was controlled by Morrissey). The single had belonged to Len's brother, Don, who unfortunately committed suicide in 1982. Humbled, Morrissey featured the single alongside himself for a New Musical Express photo shoot."

Another chapter is called "Get Off The Stage - Important Gigs" and it lists:

Wolverhampton Civic Hall, England (December 22, 1988),
Dublin National Stadium, Dublin (April 27, 1991),
San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego (May 30, 1991),
Great Western Forum, Los Angeles (June 2, 1991),
Starplex, Dallas (June 17, 1991),
UCLA Pauley Pavilion, Los Angeles (November 1, 1991),
Madstock, Finsbury Park, London (August 8, 1992),
Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood (October 10 and 11, 1992),
Coachella Valley Music and Art Festival, Indio, California (October 9, 1999, April 17, 2009),
MEN Arena, Manchester (May 22, 2004)
Meltdown Festival 2004, Royal Festival Hall, London (June 11, 2004),
Austin Music Hall, Austin (March 16, 2006),
BBC Radio Theatre (February 11, 2009),
Hollywood High School, Hollywood (March 2, 2013)

This entry has enough gaps to render it less than "kick ass." Battersea Power Station, 1997? Santiago, 2000? Royal Albert Hall, 2002? Hollywood Bowl, 2007?

And so on...

why add the sexist part. would a sixteen year old boy write any differently. explain how
I said that since the writer is a woman. She sounds like she is 16. No sexism, don't look for arguments. Nobody has the will or stamina for bullshit fighting on a irrelevant post which would have been understood if you knew that the was a woman. Insted of attacking me.

The Never-Played Symphonies

To me, "The Never-Played Symphonies" is a total snoozer of a song, but maybe it is supposed to be, since it is about Morrissey on his deathbed, being pathetic and regretting not having had enough sex while he was still able. Morrissey's favorite poet, John Betjeman, made a similar sentiment on his deathbed in 1984 about "not having enough sex" while he was fit and able. "The Never-Played Symphonies" is the B-side to 2004's "Irish Blood, English Heart."

Christian Dior

"Christian Dior" is the only song for 2006's Ringleader of the Tormentors that was written by guitarist Boz Boorer, but sadly, it only ended up as a B-side. Morrissey compares himself to famous fashion designer Christian Dior because they both have such incredible work ethic and put so much into their craft that they didn't get to enjoy life. Maybe for Morrissey, but from waht I've read about Christian Dior, he led a pretty great life with lots of partying, traveling, and sex. And he was still able to churn out groundbreaking clothing and cosmetics. Morrissey is just a lightweight. "Christian Dior" is the B-side to 2006's "In the Future When All's Well."

My Life Is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye

"My Life Is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye" is the B-side to the 2004 "First of the Gang to Die" single. Morrissey is sad that people are leaving him - some are actually getting up and leaving and some are actually dying, and "My Life Is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye" is just a rehashing of his feelings of abandonment. Morrissey's lyrics also inform us (once again) that life is boring and has nothing more to offer than luxury items, like "money, jewelry, and flesh." I think I'll take the money.

Oh Well, I'll Never Learn

"Oh Well, I'll Never Learn" is the forgettable B-side to 1988's "Suedehead." Some say it sounds very Velvet Underground-y; others do not say anything at all. Did I mention that this is a very forgettable song? It is clearly not his best work, thereby making sense that it was relegated to a B-side.

You Must Please Remember

"You Must Please Remember" that "You Must Please Remember" is the B-side to 1995's "Dagenham Dave," since the song is quite forgettable. I even forgot that this song about Morrissey's dark past existed until I was researching this book.

You Should Have Been Nice To Me

One of the first songs recorded (and then dumped) for 1995's Southpaw Grammar, "You Should Have Been Nice To Me" is a total snoozer, and it is very obvious why it was originally left off the album (it reappeared on the 2009 reissue of Southpaw Grammar). Morrissey whines about how a significant other treats him like shit. He is absolutely right - the significant other should have been nicer, because then we would have be spared this song.

The Never-Played Symphonies

My Life Is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye

Oh Well, I'll Never Learn

"Oh Well, I'll Never Learn" is the forgettable B-side to 1988's "Suedehead." Some say it sounds very Velvet Underground-y; others do not say anything at all. Did I mention that this is a very forgettable song? It is clearly not his best work, thereby making sense that it was relegated to a B-side.
Is this from the book?
This made My blood boil. Oh well i"ll never learn is one of the most beautiful song Morrissey has ever written! Do not call it forgettable. I'm not a violent person, but i will punch this author right in the face. That song is ti beautiful for words. This women is clearly mentally challanged and can't give a proper review/analysis morrisseys art. She sounds childlish and just flat out clueless. That song is sacred. I was going go study when i saw this post. It made me furious

Is this from the book?
This made My blood boil. Oh well i"ll never learn is one of the most beautiful song Morrissey has ever written! Do not call it forgettable. I'm not a violent person, but i will punch this author right in the face. That song is ti beautiful for words. This women is clearly mentally challanged and can't give a proper review/analysis morrisseys art. She sounds childlish and just flat out clueless. That song is sacred. I was going go study when i saw this post. It made me furious

It's from the book. I posted it but my intention was not to make you furious. Sorry. Everyone has their own opinion and so has this author but I think she would do the subject of her book and the readers more justice if she would at least provide a little bit background informations to each song with some objectivity. Then she can jump in with her personal opinion.

And this sentence actually really angers me "Morrissey is sad that people are leaving him - some are actually getting up and leaving and some are actually dying, and "My Life Is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye" is just a rehashing of his feelings of abandonment." How heartless is this sentence? It's perfectly okay that she doesn't like that song but I don't think the moments of "leaving and dying friends" were life experiences Moz took so lightly as she puts it. Unbelievable.

It's from the book. I posted it but my intention was not to make you furious. Sorry. Everyone has their own opinion and so has this author but I think she would do the subject of her book and the readers more justice if she would at least provide a little bit background informations to each song with some objectivity. Then she can jump in with her personal opinion.

And this sentence actually really angers me "Morrissey is sad that people are leaving him - some are actually getting up and leaving and some are actually dying, and "My Life Is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye" is just a rehashing of his feelings of abandonment." How heartless is this sentence? It's perfectly okay that she doesn't like that song but I don't think the moments of "leaving and dying friends" were life experiences Moz took so lightly as she puts it. Unbelievable.
Don't be sorry, no anger was directed at you :) her opinions made me furios. You are just the messenger, i'm not going to shoot you.

Yes everyone has the right to their opinion, but in this case its just stupid and ill thought so i stick by My statement. I lost it when she was so judgemental and nonchalant in her evaluations of the songs. She needs to explain why she thinks the song is forgettable, I can't see it. I'm to blinded by the songs utter beauty

I can't understand this woman. May the critic gods have mercy

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be sorry, no anger was directed at you :) her opinions made me furios. You are just the messenger, i'm not going to shoot you.

Yes everyone has the right to their opinion, but in this case its just stupid and ill thought so i stick by My statement. I lost it when she was so judgemental and nonchalant in her evaluations of the songs. She needs to explain why she thinks the song is forgettable, I can't see it. I'm to blinded by the songs utter beauty

I love that song too. And I think the title alone sums Morrissey up, really. If there is one person in the world who will definitely NEVER LEARN then it's our Moz. He will make the same mistakes all over again until he is "dead in a ditch", as he once put it. And I find that actually quite loveable in a strange way, and reassuring because you know there will be things who never change.

I said that since the writer is a woman. She sounds like she is 16. No sexism, don't look for arguments. Nobody has the will or stamina for bullshit fighting on a irrelevant post which would have been understood if you knew that the was a woman. Insted of attacking me.

I just asked a question and there was no argument or attack unless you think someone politely asking a question in which I give you room to explain as an attack. if so how could I ask the question in a way that doesn't "attack". it seems like you mean don't question. you could have just said she writes like a sixteen year old without the qualifier. im honestly just asking as feminism and sexism are things that moz has spoken about so it makes sense to me that his fans would identify similarly as I do. that's all

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom