Morrissey fans in relationships and/or with children.

This is not what the original poster was asking about but I find it sort of difficult to listen to Morrissey/Smiths around my 5-year-old daughter. She loves the sound of the music but "If a 10-ton truck kills the both of us?" Not exactly bedtime music. But she loves to sing Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others and finds her own meaning.

As to the actual question, Motherhood does create some sense of isolation and longing to which Morrissey's lyrics are highly applicable.

As to the actual question, Motherhood does create some sense of isolation and longing to which Morrissey's lyrics are highly applicable.

This is so true, and so well said.
I think his music became even more meaningful to me after I had kids.

This is not what the original poster was asking about but I find it sort of difficult to listen to Morrissey/Smiths around my 5-year-old daughter. She loves the sound of the music but "If a 10-ton truck kills the both of us?" Not exactly bedtime music. But she loves to sing Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others and finds her own meaning.

That's you've said is very important. I don't think SMiths' songs should be listen for kids. Killing trucks, vicars in tutus, troubled-boys and girls aren't subjects for childrean. Sons and daughters need to grow up on their times. They must live in a beatiful world. But when they're gonna get teenager Morrissey music will save them from this madness time and Moz is going to help them to understand how this univere fuction.

When a girlfriend threw me out I found shelter in lines as
In my life why do I give my valuable time to the people who don't care if I live or die

Or

I am human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does

It's so singluar and I'll never forget, anymore

I'm happily married and "Will never marry" is one of my favourite songs. I enjoy hearing different perspectives than my own. I agree with this exchange from the classic film noir "Out of the past":

"You ask a lot of questions."
"Well, I seldom find out much listening to myself."

Is there something wrong if Morrissey's fans get married?

When you appreciate the work of artist you do not need to follow every word it's said. It's not correct because you must have your own opinios. I am refusing all kind of love, that's because I'm very busy on my final papers.

When I was 16-17 I thought that be in love is one of most important thing in life to do. Today I know I was absolutely wrong and I wasting my time and life lookin' for love.

Jesus is my true hero.

I'm married and have a son, and I can still respect and understand the desire to be alone.

In The Hand that Rocks the Cradle he sounds like he'd be a caring and protective dad.

Is there any point ever having children? Oh I don't know.

He doesn't completely discount the possibility of having a child in Stretch Out and Wait. Or maybe I'm just holding out hope that he'll pass down his beauty and intelligence.

I'm married and have a son, and I can still respect and understand the desire to be alone.

In The Hand that Rocks the Cradle he sounds like he'd be a caring and protective dad.

Is there any point ever having children? Oh I don't know.

He doesn't completely discount the possibility of having a child in Stretch Out and Wait. Or maybe I'm just holding out hope that he'll pass down his beauty and intelligence.

Some people say 'Hand that Rocks Cradle' is actually a really disturbing song.

I think people like to twist things to benefit their beliefs. Because Morrissey is in a room with a 3-year-old, he must be doing naughty things to him. If it was Bono, people would say he must be discussing world peace with the kid. I have never interpreted the song to be anything but genuine care and concern for the child. Then again, I'm on Team Morrissey. ;)

I'm a single mother to my 8 year old, I've only been in a couple of relationships, but at this point in time "I'm ok by myself" could not be more apt! Sorry guys your just too complicated for me! There are only two men in my life worth bothering with:

1. My son.

2. Morrissey.

I can relate to most of Morrisseys songs, even those that suggest living celibate, childless lives. Afterall my son was not planned and although I love him dearly, I often wish I had not made the mistake of falling pregnant in a bad relationship and had waited for something more meaningful!

Those songs that Morrissey has recorded that I can't relate to however (such as flirting with homosexuality and other things I can't think of...) I still enjoy listening to, I'm still just 28 and I'm obviously still curious about other lifestyles and the way that people live!

I honestly don't think you have to be a "certain" person to appreciate anything that Morrissey stands for!:)

Some people say 'Hand that Rocks Cradle' is actually a really disturbing song.

I've never been sure about 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle'- it's very ambiguous and could indeed be interpreted as being about child abuse.

My immediate reaction to it is that it's talking about protection and deep love of a child ("My life down I shall lie"), but there's also an implication of that protection being overbearing and possessive, and that maybe the narrator's neediness ("I once had a child, and it saved my life") could be a problem in the future and perhaps lead to issues for the child.

I've never been sure about 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle'- it's very ambiguous and could indeed be interpreted as being about child abuse.

My immediate reaction to it is that it's talking about protection and deep love of a child ("My life down I shall lie"), but there's also an implication of that protection being overbearing and possessive, and that maybe the narrator's neediness ("I once had a child, and it saved my life") could be a problem in the future and perhaps lead to issues for the child.

It never occurred to me that The Hand that Rocks the Cradle could be about child abuse. To me it’s a simple and beautiful song about a man who, upon seeing his child, finds a reason to live. It captures, vividly, that sudden and overwhelming blaze of protectiveness that characterises the beginnings of fatherhood.

It never occurred to me that The Hand that Rocks the Cradle could be about child abuse. To me it’s a simple and beautiful song about a man who, upon seeing his child, finds a reason to live. It captures, vividly, that sudden and overwhelming blaze of protectiveness that characterises the beginnings of fatherhood.

That's always the general feeling I got too, but like I said, it's ambiguous and open to interpretation. :thumb:

I think that there are many people who are married or in committed relationships who still feel terribly alone. Ultimately the songs represent a longing for something you don't have and that makes them relevant.

Family Line is a song that has meaning to me because, until I had a son, I was the end of the family line. I was the only male carrying the name. I was torn between not wanting to have kids and not wanting to see the family line just die. I guess I sort of felt like it would just fade into oblivion. Now that my son is the end of the family line the song still conjures up those feelings I once had and it also makes me think how that song is now about him.

I've been divorced for about 5 years and I am a lot happier. I have really found myself in the past couple years and I consider myself to be a very positive person. Be that as it may, I still enjoy the emotional stir that Morrissey's music gives me and thus I am still here.

I want my son to carry on the Morrissey tradition...if that says anything about the subject.

Please welcome him here when he comes on board in a few years! :)

Back
Top Bottom