Morrissey Does Not Vote

Anaesthesine

Angel of Distemper
When he was last chatting with Jonathan Ross, Morrissey stated that he does not vote, that he has no faith.

As an utterly cynical yet politically idealistic person myself, I share his lack of faith in the political system. Educated criminals do indeed work within the law.

However, every election I dutifully campaign and vote for those candidates who come closest to representing my values. The alternatives are almost too painful to bear.

Tomorrow is election day in America. We all understand what is at stake.

Which is more foolish - to give in to hope, or to give in to despair?

Morrissey doesn't vote mainly because he was not eligable to vote in USA as he was not a citizen and cant vote in the UK as he is not residing here permenantly to be able to register (strangely it is an offence not to register but you dont have to vote!)

For the last two local elections and last general election I have deliberately spoiled my voting card as non of the clowns asking for my support came anywhere near earning my vote. In fact, on one of the local election cards I drew another box at the bottom, wrote 'Morrissey' in it and put a tick next to the box!

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO YOU VOTE FOR, THE GOVERNMENT ALWAYS GET IN!

The Goat

hope is important, i would gladly give in to it

In the last local election I did vote labour, not cos I wanted to but because I thought there was a very real danger of the numpties that are the British National Party (fascist racist scumbags) getting in. That would be even more unbearable than Tony Bland's puppets.

In the last local election I did vote labour, not cos I wanted to but because I thought there was a very real danger of the numpties that are the British National Party (fascist racist scumbags) getting in. That would be even more unbearable than Tony Bland's puppets.

Thank you Mrs Chucky.
Unfortunatlely I don't have a right to vote in UK, I always ask my friends to vote in order to prevent BNP and other unworthy parties taking power.

Definately worse to give in to despair. I'll be voting tomorrow - and rejoicing that those friggin' election campaign phone calls will stop!!!!!

Is it really only Democrats and Republicans that are likely to win??

It's sad when you always have to vote 'against' someone rather than 'for' someone else. I find myself doing that a lot. "We have to vote for these baffoons, even though we dislike them, just because they're better than those others, who are really evil...just to stop them from winning! You have to choose the lesser of the two evils!" So you do that, and then you end up hating the jerk you voted for, who turns out to be not much better than the one you were voting against. :mad:

How on earth are the BNP going to win the 330 seats needed to win them the election? Your stance is admirable but it aint gonna happen thankfully

They got 1.5% where I live and that was with loads of advertising (most of it got ripped down and nick Griffin got shitloads of abuse when he dared enter the town)

How on earth are the BNP going to win the 330 seats needed to win them the election? Your stance is admirable but it aint gonna happen thankfully

They got 1.5% where I live and that was with loads of advertising (most of it got ripped down and nick Griffin got shitloads of abuse when he dared enter the town)

Yes I know, thats why I said local election because I wouldn't want this place to end up like Burnley or anywhere else they got in or nearly did. I never thought they'd stand a chance anywhere but it does happen. I hear people at work all the time talking about Polish / Kosovan / Asian / people and so on and you hear (what you took for) rational normal people saying things like 'I'd line 'em all up in a field & shoot 'em' and its frightening. That's why I felt the need to vote for labour when I really didnt want to.
And we won't vote conservative, because we never have!

I am completely anti-defeatism. I shoud point out that I have not been able to vote yet and won't vote for the first time until 2008, so henceforth I am referring to who I would vote for. While morally I would be unable to reconcile voting for all the politicians involved in some races, I almost always support the candidate that is closest to being right (but I've rarely come across a good politician, because politics is a career like any other, and since some careers can attract mostly good people and some can attract mostly bad people, politics tend to lure scummy and corrupt people) because even if they only support half of what I support, that's still 50% more than the opponent. No matter how many people decide to wallow in their own cynicism, even if it is a large majority of eligible voters, someone is always going to get elected. Having someone half-way acceptable in office until the next election with the hope of a superior candidate appearing then is always better than passively allowing an even worse politician be in power.

I hope the American's manage to dispose of Mr. In-bred this time around. He is a dangerous buffoon.

This is not a presidential election in 2006. All the House of Representatives seats are up for election, as well as some governorships (I'm not sure how many, all I know is in Illinois Blagojevich and Topinka are running and most people hate both of them) and if I remember correctly 1/3 of Senate seats.

well it´s quite simple. those who don´t vote let the other idiots decide. so it´s foolish not to vote after we fought for democracy for so long. even if all the candidates are bores and liars,it´s still better to vote for the lesser evil than not to take advantage of our rights.even though i hardly find it worth my time and the gas money, i always go and vote for the lesser evil.

What if you don't see a lesser evil though?

I honestly don't believe Labour are any better than the Tories these days.

Jello Biafra was a much better candidate.

He's got my vote, whenever he decides to throw his hat into the ring.

Too bad I've never heard about him, it's hard to get to know your candidates since you've only got two major parties. We've got seven:).

Too bad I've never heard about him, it's hard to get to know your candidates since you've only got two major parties. We've got seven:).

You've never heard of the Dead Kennedys? Top drawer American punks. Mr. Biafra is a tireless, clever, reform-minded prankster. He was considered as a presidential candidate for the Green Party (yes, there is one here). No chance at holding national office, perhaps, but he could be governor of California.

I believe in the past he's advocated mandatory clown outfits for the police and lowering the voting age to five, but he may have changed his position of those issues. ;)

I would not vote for Jello Biafra but I'd make damn sure I watched all his debates.

I agree, there isn't much difference between the main parties in the US or in Britain. And in the media the alternative candidates are shamfully disregarded.

At school our Music teacher was a drunk and used to slope off to the staff room as soon as we settled down in the classroom. Cue the LPs - out would come Dead Kennedys, Ruts, Stranglers, Skids, SLF, Damned etc.....at volume!
a proper musical education, while we did the homework for other lessons.
Bit like the political elections, everyone getting on with the business of survival while the magic roundabout trundles on.......
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom