Morrissey, Damon Albarn and The Good the Bad and the Queen

Maurice E

Anyone else a huge Blur fan round these parts?
Did you know Morrissey was the reason the band formed? Damon Albarn said, many years ago, that he watched Moz on the South Bank Show when he claimed that pop music was dying and thought "hmm, I'll see about that!".

Damon wrote a poem about Morrissey when Your Arsenal came out which was published in Select. Can't remember much of it apart from the closing line; "if London's dead then so are thee"!.

Has anyone got the Good, the Bad and the Queen album? It's had brilliant reviews. Heard a snippet in HMV and saw a couple of songs on telly and they sounded pretty good.
Maurice
PS Moz once said his favourite Blur song was 'Charmless Man'!:)

I've got a concert downloaded from here. I think the original poster said it had most of the album tracks on it. I can re-upload it if the link has died.

I've got a concert downloaded from here. I think the original poster said it had most of the album tracks on it. I can re-upload it if the link has died.

Thanks, Cat's Mother. I don't really do the download thing though (although I guess others may be interested). Will probably go out and buy the album tomorrow...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nlgtxm -for anyone else who's interested

i like it very much, i liked the early bootlegs and the album didn't disappoint me either. northern whale, 80s life, history song, three changes.. all great songs. i didn't like the last track so much though. as a whole a very nice album, not easy listening but rewarding once you get used to its sound. i'll probably buy it if i bump on it, the artwork seems interesting too

i just bought it, the limited edition with dvd. admittedly i'm a sucker for limited editions, it has a 20 mins long interview, a short video from rehearsals and three live videos. and i like the titlesong (last track) more now, after i've seen how much they enjoyed playing it live (especially the last frantic bit). damon's keyboards are phenomenal in all songs!

Anyone else a huge Blur fan round these parts?
Did you know Morrissey was the reason the band formed? Damon Albarn said, many years ago, that he watched Moz on the South Bank Show when he claimed that pop music was dying and thought "hmm, I'll see about that!".

Damon wrote a poem about Morrissey when Your Arsenal came out which was published in Select. Can't remember much of it apart from the closing line; "if London's dead then so are thee"!.

Has anyone got the Good, the Bad and the Queen album? It's had brilliant reviews. Heard a snippet in HMV and saw a couple of songs on telly and they sounded pretty good.
Maurice
PS Moz once said his favourite Blur song was 'Charmless Man'!:)

Albarn is talented, but I can't stomach him. He is the epitome of the posh boy trying to be a 'tough'. At least he has dropped the 'cockney' accent unlike Coxon. Are they so ashamed of their true selves? BTW he is absolutely tiny, he sat next to me at RFH.

Albarn is talented, but I can't stomach him. He is the epitome of the posh boy trying to be a 'tough'. At least he has dropped the 'cockney' accent unlike Coxon. Are they so ashamed of their true selves? BTW he is absolutely tiny, he sat next to me at RFH.

Absolutely tiny? In the words of a true mockney, you're 'aving a giraffe mate!
Albarn is one of the lanky men of pop. About 6 foot tall, I'm pretty certain...

My daughter is going to see them in Motherwell I think next week. She was very interested in the Morrisey link so thanks for that.

I also liked the way you picked out the one comment that claimed he was 5'8 when every other eye witness said he was much smaller than that:D

Oh dear. This is getting silly! On the top of the celebrity height page, it states how tall he is (in bold). 'Damon Albarn's height is 5 ft 11 in (180cm)'. Beneath that, it invites comments from people to discuss his height. Below are the first five. Some of them say he is taller, others say he is shorter (see below) so I'm not quite sure how you can say that 'every other eye witness said he was much smaller?'
The link between Moz and Damon is that Damon was inspired to form Blur because he didn't agree with Moz proclaiming (on the South Bank show) that pop music was dying, so there is indeed a link.
This is turning into the kind of pointless internet dispute that I try to avoid, and I'm being sucked in. Help!

Jessica says on 25/Apr/06
I've saw him face to face walking by notting hill in a tour.
I' 5'7 he was taller than me, y think he is 5'11 or 6'

Anonymous says on 16/Apr/06
he was about two inches taller than simon tong of the verve when they perfromed back in 2003 on letterman. simon tong is about 5'10 so damons around 6 ft

Sara says on 20/Mar/06
I think this is the right height...but i am not sure ..he is a neighbour of mine and i have spoken to him and he is a little taller then me so i think this is right!

cendrin rovin says on 3/Mar/06
...no, no, damon is the smallest in blur... hes one or two inches smaller than the drummer whos 5-10, just read the blur biography.. take a good look, hes a 5-8 guy, hes not as tall as brad pitt, come on...

James says on 21/Feb/06
Saw him in a restaurant in Barnes a couple of years ago. I'm 6'3" and was
suprised how tall he was. He's also got quite a large build. I would say that
5'11" is about right. Don't forget he's got terrible posture.

I wonder what you two will come up with next in order to avoid discussing the music and continue arguing about the singer's height. Perhaps the other poster's daughter could measure Albarn at the concert? Don't all people shrink after their 40th birthday anyway :p
This is turning into the kind of pointless internet dispute that I try to avoid, and I'm being sucked in. Help!
You have to seek help inside you, dear Maurice E!

I wonder what you two will come up with next in order to avoid discussing the music and continue arguing about the singer's height. Perhaps the other poster's daughter could measure Albarn at the concert? Don't all people shrink after their 40th birthday anyway :p

You have to seek help inside you, dear Maurice E!

I'm just being naughty, I really can't stomach the pretentious Blur. I should own up to being 6'6 and 18 stone though, so yes, I did think he was tiny. I can pretty much say anyone is tiny in complete honesty:D

I stood about 2 feet away from D. Albarn at a bar for 10-15 minutes during the Parklife era as he talked to an acquaintance of mine. He has a slouchy posture, but there's no way he's 5'11. If he stood ramrod straight he's about 5'10. (I'm exactly 5'11 with shoes on).

Alex, who is definitely about 6' or maybe a little more, was stumbling around drunk and knocking over empty bottles and giggling like a schoolboy.

Back
Top Bottom