Morrissey: criticisms of debut novel are 'an attack against me' - The Guardian

Re: Morrissey: criticisms of debut novel are 'an attack against me'

If there was a broad sweep of opinions in critical views, then Morrissey should be able to comfortably dismiss it as a few people 'not getting it'. But when every single serious published critic shares the opinion that what you have written is bleedin' awful (I haven't read a single positive review of note - and no, anonymous Amazon reviews don't count) , it might be time to let some air out of that swollen head and accept you are not the greatest writer since Shakespeare.

Francos films are ok. He isn't the new James Dean though, he has no edge
He's just another Ethan Hawk. Let's be truthful Franco would love to work with Mozzer or Johnny none want anything to do with him. That leaves the desperate two Andy and Mike
He doesn't get it, he has a very American college take on life and The Smiths. Narrow minded boy

If there was a broad sweep of opinions in critical views, then Morrissey should be able to comfortably dismiss it as a few people 'not getting it'. But when every single serious published critic shares the opinion that what you have written is bleedin' awful (I haven't read a single positive review of note - and no, anonymous Amazon reviews don't count) , it might be time to let some air out of that swollen head and accept you are not the greatest writer since Shakespeare.

Have you actually read the book?

- - - Updated - - -

No Morrissey. They criticise it because it is f***ing dreadful. Grow a pair, admit you've written a turkey, and stop being such a whining crybaby.

Yeah like you've actually read it. Give us a break!

Thomas Hardy (only great English writer, apart from Shakespeare) had appalling reviews and despite every publisher begging him to write another novel he refused. Our loss. Morrissey is a born novelist. Just not for this audience in today's world sadly.

The Sun has masses of readers. Daily Mail online has millions of readers, Eastenders gets great viewing figures, Strictly gets millions tuning in. Get my message? Stop judging on the fact quantity means more than quality. Just a lesson that you need to think for yourself. Sign of the times I would like you to elaborate on who you consider a serious critic? Not read one. Mind you I can't think of a serious critic, they are all dead.

if there was a broad sweep of opinions in critical views, then morrissey should be able to comfortably dismiss it as a few people 'not getting it'. But when every single serious published critic shares the opinion that what you have written is bleedin' awful (i haven't read a single positive review of note - and no, anonymous amazon reviews don't count) , it might be time to let some air out of that swollen head and accept you are not the greatest writer since shakespeare.

perfect!

Thomas Hardy (only great English writer, apart from Shakespeare) had appalling reviews and despite every publisher begging him to write another novel he refused. Our loss. Morrissey is a born novelist. Just not for this audience in today's world sadly.

I'm not sure how hyperbole of that nature helps. You could compare Morrissey's literary talents to Oliver Hardy, perhaps, but not Thomas Hardy.

I'm not sure how hyperbole of that nature helps. You could compare Morrissey's literary talents to Oliver Hardy, perhaps, but not Thomas Hardy.

Oliver Hardy was a gifted singer as a young boy apparently, but not sure if he was a writer at all, although he did study law

JB, do be brave enough to at least tell us your fave authors? So I can make a judgment too, as you like to. Don't be shy. Hyperbole accepted. Excited to hear. Even if it's Jeffrey Archer, I'll say ok, each to their own.

Does anyone know the page numbers where Marrissey talks about his tax break home in Sweden that he shares with his roommates Jake and Damon and where he talks about if he wasn't a singer he would of played professional kickball for Manc Castle United?

Please, if anyone found a New York Yankees cap during the Big Country set at the Isle of Lucy, please send back to me.

Cheers Chaps!
Nigel the British Vegetarian (non-vegan)

Yes it would go down a treat on the world of Bizarro.

JB, do be brave enough to at least tell us your fave authors? So I can make a judgment too, as you like to. Don't be shy. Hyperbole accepted. Excited to hear. Even if it's Jeffrey Archer, I'll say ok, each to their own.

theres always the what are you currently reading thread

Personally id have just said nothing, he really should have let it be looked at and listened to any critisism before it was published

So, you personally would have done it like this or that. Interesting. Were you ever in the same situation like him? How do you know it then? I always find it a bit rich when people say things like that but aren't in the same position. Apart from that it's a bit laughable coming from some people who post on this website who start endless threads and discussions over, sometimes minor, criticisms of other posters.

Yeah but he's got a 13 book deal

:thumb: THANK GOD ...for contracts.

- - - Updated - - -

A lowbrow from the comments section certainly isn't a fan, whilst however sounding a bit too well versed.

"Morrissey's great tragedy is his complete lack of self awareness. This ageing whiny solipsist who went from inadequacy to bathos and back again, then spent his entire career wallowing in his own victim-hood in a failed attempt at passing himself off as a bargain bin Oscar Wilde and novelist. Then in order to stir up a little controversy to ignite a fading career he posed as a White Nationalist. Of course some dimwit will be along shortly to explain why Morrissey's tackless outbursts regarding Arabs/Chinese/reggae music is merely post-modern irony that I don't get?!! Many years ago Eric Clapton's inflammatory racist outburst caused mass revulsion and the creation of 'Rock Against Racism'. Now we have to accept that a middle aged, ersatz artist - who displays all the symptoms of an emotionally dysfunctional narcissus - is to be praised for producing an autobiography/novel in an unironic prose style parody, of a late 19th century aesthete, as if written by a 4th former with learning difficulties.

Morrissey at best is nothing more than a mediocre lyricist an even worst novelist, whose stage moves resemble an uncoordinated crab wetting itself, with a voice that owed more to a chicken in a basket variety club entertainer than rock 'n' roll. He is the perfect incarnation of a third rate pub performer, from the 1950's - shirt slashed to the waist - retro medallion man for a generation. Oscar Wilde must be turning in his grave every time this overweight balding buffoon opens his mouth. Doggerel that passes for profundity, style that owes more to Gary Glitter than James Dean. A narrow minded, ill educated ingrate, that spawned a generation of attention seeking inadequates with an Oedipal complex.

His epitaph will surely read, "Exploding kegs between my legs"!!? Morrissey must have copied that off a lavatory wall while cottaging for inspiration - possibly the worst line in pop music, now only surpassed by, "'being dwelt in' causes cries of intolerable struggle, but our closeness transcends such visitations"- Dear God!!!

Send Morrissey back to where he belongs third on the bill to Punch and Judy on the end of Brighton Pier. Morrissey to paraphrase his idol Wilde - Has nothing to declare but his verbal incontinencey pads."

Touche.

Now THIS needs some editing. All of it.:) ...touche to shit.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish we knew if those amateur critics and self serving bored bloggers had a history of reading good literature, at least we could see some merit as to what they base a good novel on. The only 3 reviews I read, were from a guy who loves to eat pork (his intro not mine) a large girl who writes literary reviews for the homeless (sure they would rather read how to get a roof over thier heads) and a kid writing for a free paper who appeared to have lifted his whole review from the baah lamb reviewers lol. Oh and not forgetting that daft old codger from Middle England, who also slated the great Nick Hytner! Sorry, but as much as Morrisseys views are unpopular (most truth is) which I think, alongside his brilliant bio being a Penguin Classic , annoyed the literary snobs who could have only dreamt of a Penguin Classic (they weren't good enough) caused a payback premise. I found his novel to be utterly unique and made up my own mind. Though I have to say, it takes more than one reading to appreciate all its brilliance. Now, that is the sign of a true work of literary art. Genius needs no defending, so don't expect me to respond to 'YAWN' responses to my comment.

YAWN ! sorry couldn't resist.:) Actually agree MUCH with your post :thumb:

chances of being a book 2 from moz: 0.0000000000000.
sorry but lets be realistic. its like loading a bucket full of quids and burning it. not surprisingly, he hasnt mentioned any further literary 'endeavors'.

Yes, that's certainly true. He seems to take particular issue with the Guardian review, and I can't say I blame him. It was definitely the most odious of the bunch, though not without its valid points. And he's absolutely right that the hyperbolic warning against reading the book probably compelled a lot of people to seek it out, simply out of curiosity.

That said, the idea that if someone didn't like the book, then it's because it wasn't written for them is ridiculous. It's an utter non-defense and a lazy attempt to render his book critic-proof.

Well if someone reads it, doesn't like it, then I guess it wasn't written for them and their tastes. If someone reads it, likes it, then I guess it was written for them and their tastes or definition of what a 'good read' is to them.

If the person reads it, doesn't like it so goes on to attack it( him?)...then how does it benefit that individual? What's in it for them ? They might want to read something else.

If M thought about all of the people who will not like his songs he would never have written them in the first place. So he writes for himself first and for those out there who will hopefully... 'get it'.

Though, the way this world turn$... nothing is hate-proof.:straightface:

Last edited:
the next book will be about a couple of well dressed gay feminist dudes-who wear very masculine cut suits and plastic shoes-
that go to outer space and live happily ever after whilst eating pasta.

I wonder if the "anonymous" person who posted the link to this story is the same person who posted in the comments section below the Guardian article as 'LucreziaBorgiax' ? As another commenter notes of the 'LucreziaBorgiax' post, "I recognise the execrable prose style from a certain website".

That said, the idea that if someone didn't like the book, then it's because it wasn't written for them is ridiculous. It's an utter non-defense and a lazy attempt to render his book critic-proof.

There is a Oscar Wilde quote in that statement but I can't remember the specific quote. I'm sure it exists. I think it was something he said in reaction of the criticism of The Picture of Dorian Gray. It's quite telling that nobody noticed this. They probably got carried away in their rage and mocking.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom