Morrissey: criticisms of debut novel are 'an attack against me' - The Guardian

Re: Morrissey: criticisms of debut novel are 'an attack against me'

If there was a broad sweep of opinions in critical views, then Morrissey should be able to comfortably dismiss it as a few people 'not getting it'. But when every single serious published critic shares the opinion that what you have written is bleedin' awful (I haven't read a single positive review of note - and no, anonymous Amazon reviews don't count) , it might be time to let some air out of that swollen head and accept you are not the greatest writer since Shakespeare.

That is why I admire him. He really is very polite to people he probably is entitled to really lit into. He is different than other artists but I am so glad he is and it is a tragedy if he really confidence issues. I think the world of you Morrissey.

jfc, you are so f***ing annoying!

At the time of my writing this I haven't read the novel, I am waiting to finish reading Mozipedia before I move onto List of The Lost, but all the backlash and bad reviews does make me more intrigued to read it. I just find it silly that Morrissey is taking it as a personal attack and responds in self-defense. I liked his style in Autobiography, and I will probably like List of The Lost, but not without some chuckles or "WTF?" in the process. I think it just adds to the mythology about him.

You can't have a novel published solely based on who you are and then turn around and cry when critics bash not only your work but you in general. If that manuscript landed on someone at Penguins desk without Morrissey's name on the title page it would have been rejected with extreme prejudice. Or, after searching the office for hidden cameras to make sure they weren't on a Candid Camera type show, it would have been passed around to co-workers and become the office joke for a few days before it was returned and forgotten by everyone who laid eyes on it. For Moz not to understand that the circumstances of his novel being published opened him up to personal criticism... well, that's delusional. Also, the criticisms of him personally usually take the form of the reviewer laying out their case that, even for a current or former Morrissey fan, the book is crap. If he actually listened to some of his critics, many of whom used to be or currently are fans, and didn't surround himself with yes men then maybe he wouldn't be vomiting up luke-warm and totally uninspired music and shitting out horrible books. There's a line between confident and delusional- a fairly thick line in Morrissey's case- but he stopped straddling it years ago.

I wish we knew if those amateur critics and self serving bored bloggers had a history of reading good literature, at least we could see some merit as to what they base a good novel on. The only 3 reviews I read, were from a guy who loves to eat pork (his intro not mine) a large girl who writes literary reviews for the homeless (sure they would rather read how to get a roof over thier heads) and a kid writing for a free paper who appeared to have lifted his whole review from the baah lamb reviewers lol. Oh and not forgetting that daft old codger from Middle England, who also slated the great Nick Hytner! Sorry, but as much as Morrisseys views are unpopular (most truth is) which I think, alongside his brilliant bio being a Penguin Classic , annoyed the literary snobs who could have only dreamt of a Penguin Classic (they weren't good enough) caused a payback premise. I found his novel to be utterly unique and made up my own mind. Though I have to say, it takes more than one reading to appreciate all its brilliance. Now, that is the sign of a true work of literary art. Genius needs no defending, so don't expect me to respond to 'YAWN' responses to my comment.

You can't have a novel published solely based on who you are and then turn around and cry when critics bash not only your work but you in general. If that manuscript landed on someone at Penguins desk without Morrissey's name on the title page it would have been rejected with extreme prejudice. Or, after searching the office for hidden cameras to make sure they weren't on a Candid Camera type show, it would have been passed around to co-workers and become the office joke for a few days before it was returned and forgotten by everyone who laid eyes on it. For Moz not to understand that the circumstances of his novel being published opened him up to personal criticism... well, that's delusional. Also, the criticisms of him personally usually take the form of the reviewer laying out their case that, even for a current or former Morrissey fan, the book is crap. If he actually listened to some of his critics, many of whom used to be or currently are fans, and didn't surround himself with yes men then maybe he wouldn't be vomiting up luke-warm and totally uninspired music and shitting out horrible books. There's a line between confident and delusional- a fairly thick line in Morrissey's case- but he stopped straddling it years ago.

Sorry but how is he crying? You expect him to thank people for slagging off his book? He obviously likes it or he wouldn't put his name to it. I don't like Sam Smith's music and can't understand how anyone else possibly could. He obviously thinks otherwise, as do his legion of adoring fans.

Sorry but how is he crying? You expect him to thank people for slagging off his book? He obviously likes it or he wouldn't put his name to it. I don't like Sam Smith's music and can't understand how anyone else possibly could. He obviously thinks otherwise, as do his legion of adoring fans.

Rubbish. He shat it out and said to Penguin "This is the best I can do, take it or leave it. I have your advance, so what are you gonna do?". Do you think, in any possible universe, anyone said to him "Go back and rewrite that bit please"? Of course not. They were the terms of the contract, otherwise Penguin would have binned it.

Whilst i agree some were just there for the ride, enjoying slating him, it is rather rich that he condemns negative reviews when "It wasn’t written for you" can be applied to any negative comments he has made about peoples work, such as sam smith/ed sheeran. one rule for him another for everyone else.
I can see why he is upset, personally id have just said nothing, he really should have let it be looked at and listened to any critisism before it was published

Last edited:
Rubbish. He shat it out and said to Penguin "This is the best I can do, take it or leave it. I have your advance, so what are you gonna do?". Do you think, in any possible universe, anyone said to him "Go back and rewrite that bit please"? Of course not. They were the terms of the contract, otherwise Penguin would have binned it.

So you are able to read Morrissey's mind? What about Found Found Found, Dagenham Dave or You are the Quarry? Were they shat out too? By the way, if you admitted to being a Sam Smith fan I'd still respect you.

So you are able to read Morrissey's mind? What about Found Found Found, Dagenham Dave or You are the Quarry? Were they shat out too? By the way, if you admitted to being a Sam Smith fan I'd still respect you.

I don't mind Sam Smith, clearly he has talent. As for the songs, I recall them getting more critical acclaim than the book did. My point is the terms of the deal. Countless people have commented on the sore need for editing. It didn't happen. So one can only assume that was the nature of the contract. "Here it is - take it". My point is this - do you really think Penguin were happy to let it go as it was, bearing in mind the beasting it got in the press? I'd guess the answer is no.

I don't mind Sam Smith, clearly he has talent. As for the songs, I recall them getting more critical acclaim than the book did. My point is the terms of the deal. Countless people have commented on the sore need for editing. It didn't happen. So one can only assume that was the nature of the contract. "Here it is - take it". My point is this - do you really think Penguin were happy to let it go as it was, bearing in mind the beasting it got in the press? I'd guess the answer is no.

As you pointed out it was obviously a take it or leave deal, so I guess they didn't care.

that 'take it leave it' philosophy worked once. but thats it. next book is thanks but no. as is or not as is we dont want it.

they have to beg for translations and foreign publishers on tty. to this he has reduced.

A lowbrow from the comments section certainly isn't a fan, whilst however sounding a bit too well versed.

"Morrissey's great tragedy is his complete lack of self awareness. This ageing whiny solipsist who went from inadequacy to bathos and back again, then spent his entire career wallowing in his own victim-hood in a failed attempt at passing himself off as a bargain bin Oscar Wilde and novelist. Then in order to stir up a little controversy to ignite a fading career he posed as a White Nationalist. Of course some dimwit will be along shortly to explain why Morrissey's tackless outbursts regarding Arabs/Chinese/reggae music is merely post-modern irony that I don't get?!! Many years ago Eric Clapton's inflammatory racist outburst caused mass revulsion and the creation of 'Rock Against Racism'. Now we have to accept that a middle aged, ersatz artist - who displays all the symptoms of an emotionally dysfunctional narcissus - is to be praised for producing an autobiography/novel in an unironic prose style parody, of a late 19th century aesthete, as if written by a 4th former with learning difficulties.

Morrissey at best is nothing more than a mediocre lyricist an even worst novelist, whose stage moves resemble an uncoordinated crab wetting itself, with a voice that owed more to a chicken in a basket variety club entertainer than rock 'n' roll. He is the perfect incarnation of a third rate pub performer, from the 1950's - shirt slashed to the waist - retro medallion man for a generation. Oscar Wilde must be turning in his grave every time this overweight balding buffoon opens his mouth. Doggerel that passes for profundity, style that owes more to Gary Glitter than James Dean. A narrow minded, ill educated ingrate, that spawned a generation of attention seeking inadequates with an Oedipal complex.

His epitaph will surely read, "Exploding kegs between my legs"!!? Morrissey must have copied that off a lavatory wall while cottaging for inspiration - possibly the worst line in pop music, now only surpassed by, "'being dwelt in' causes cries of intolerable struggle, but our closeness transcends such visitations"- Dear God!!!

Send Morrissey back to where he belongs third on the bill to Punch and Judy on the end of Brighton Pier. Morrissey to paraphrase his idol Wilde - Has nothing to declare but his verbal incontinencey pads."

Touche.

I am laughing loudly here just imaging what you read. Sure, you are perfectly placed to diss Morrissey. IP address included. Lol. P s. Shat etc shows a very developed vocabulary, you give us all a great laugh. Many thanks loyal savant. X

that 'take it leave it' philosophy worked once. but thats it. next book is thanks but no. as is or not as is we dont want it.

they have to beg for translations and foreign publishers on tty. to this he has reduced.

Yeah but he's got a 13 book deal

A lowbrow from the comments section certainly isn't a fan, whilst however sounding a bit too well versed.

"Morrissey's great tragedy is his complete lack of self awareness. This ageing whiny solipsist who went from inadequacy to bathos and back again, then spent his entire career wallowing in his own victim-hood in a failed attempt at passing himself off as a bargain bin Oscar Wilde and novelist. Then in order to stir up a little controversy to ignite a fading career he posed as a White Nationalist. Of course some dimwit will be along shortly to explain why Morrissey's tackless outbursts regarding Arabs/Chinese/reggae music is merely post-modern irony that I don't get?!! Many years ago Eric Clapton's inflammatory racist outburst caused mass revulsion and the creation of 'Rock Against Racism'. Now we have to accept that a middle aged, ersatz artist - who displays all the symptoms of an emotionally dysfunctional narcissus - is to be praised for producing an autobiography/novel in an unironic prose style parody, of a late 19th century aesthete, as if written by a 4th former with learning difficulties.

Morrissey at best is nothing more than a mediocre lyricist an even worst novelist, whose stage moves resemble an uncoordinated crab wetting itself, with a voice that owed more to a chicken in a basket variety club entertainer than rock 'n' roll. He is the perfect incarnation of a third rate pub performer, from the 1950's - shirt slashed to the waist - retro medallion man for a generation. Oscar Wilde must be turning in his grave every time this overweight balding buffoon opens his mouth. Doggerel that passes for profundity, style that owes more to Gary Glitter than James Dean. A narrow minded, ill educated ingrate, that spawned a generation of attention seeking inadequates with an Oedipal complex.

His epitaph will surely read, "Exploding kegs between my legs"!!? Morrissey must have copied that off a lavatory wall while cottaging for inspiration - possibly the worst line in pop music, now only surpassed by, "'being dwelt in' causes cries of intolerable struggle, but our closeness transcends such visitations"- Dear God!!!

Send Morrissey back to where he belongs third on the bill to Punch and Judy on the end of Brighton Pier. Morrissey to paraphrase his idol Wilde - Has nothing to declare but his verbal incontinencey pads."

Touche.

The big question: what is worse the book or that review, which stinks to high heaven

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom