Morrissey: criticisms of debut novel are 'an attack against me' - The Guardian

Re: Morrissey: criticisms of debut novel are 'an attack against me'

If there was a broad sweep of opinions in critical views, then Morrissey should be able to comfortably dismiss it as a few people 'not getting it'. But when every single serious published critic shares the opinion that what you have written is bleedin' awful (I haven't read a single positive review of note - and no, anonymous Amazon reviews don't count) , it might be time to let some air out of that swollen head and accept you are not the greatest writer since Shakespeare.

List Of The Lost ending...
"... as maddening midnight church bells provided their harmonized soothing dullness, asking only that we remember with kindness.-". I wonder if someone who decrees that he read the novel and used the "shit" word for this book, can racionalize that vulgar statement even only remembering just this final sentence of Morrissey.

Last edited:
*You may think that and you are certainly entitled to think that. Morrissey clearly doesn't - why then does he insist on signing to a MAJOR record label, rather to a more artist friendly "indie" label. It hasn't done Neil Young, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Depeche Mode any commercial harm.

I would pay cash money to see Nick Cave and Tom Waits in the same room as Morrissey. That would be a laugh riot supreme, although Moz might stomp off in a huff as Nick and Tom wept with laughter at him.

thats a pretty shitty final sentence, im afraid. i mea wtf? maddening dull bells asking for forgiveness?

i would pay cash money to see nick cave and tom waits in the same room as morrissey. That would be a laugh riot supreme, although moz might stomp off in a huff as nick and tom wept with laughter at him.

lol
+1

thats a pretty shitty final sentence, im afraid. i mea wtf? maddening dull bells asking for forgiveness?

No no little monkey darling! Read once again the sentence and write us back what did you understand after the second reading! Ok?
We will be patient with you. Relax. Try. We will forgive.

david byrne can actually play an instrument.
his output easily surprasses morrisseys. its not even close.
moz cant even play the bloody harmonica.

I had someone use that argument with me before on here. Playing an instrument means you make good music. Guess you cream over everyone ever in that case. By the way, you don't need to lie to me, I've heard Byrne's music.

- - - Updated - - -

I would pay cash money to see Nick Cave and Tom Waits in the same room as Morrissey. That would be a laugh riot supreme, although Moz might stomp off in a huff as Nick and Tom wept with laughter at him.

I guess that would make them real big men. Shame about the pitiful music they produce.

as maddening midnight church bells provided their harmonized soothing dullness, asking only that we remember with kindness.-". I

midnight church bells-as opposed to mid afternoon church bells-provided their harmonized SOOTHING DULLNESS-dullness is soothing? you dont say-. askin only-only lols i guess they could have asked for a tenner as well-that we remember with kindness? bells ask people for kindness by being soothingly dull?

no surprise the good reviewer found the book totally incoherent.

I had someone use that argument with me before on here. Playing an instrument means you make good music. Guess you cream over everyone ever in that case. By the way, you don't need to lie to me, I've heard Byrne's music.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess that would make them real big men. Shame about the pitiful music they produce.

Oh, okay Sid. Can you picture Tom Waits poncing about singing Kiss Me A Lot? Nick Cave warbling The Bullfighter Dies?

I love Morrissey more than the next guy, but the fact remains that both Nick and Tom have managed to have long, weird, respectable careers
without really committing any major missteps. Rare, that. Those two have something that Morrissey was born without. Humility, and the will to experiment outside of their comfort zones without seeming to give a single solitary f*** about anyone's opinion. Yet they still receive near universal praise, and craft art that comes from a place of authenticity, without ever pandering to any one demographic.

The legend dims with too much time spent courting the spotlight, and pandering to the people, and desperation kicks in. never a good look. Moz should learn that.

Oh, okay Sid. Can you picture Tom Waits poncing about singing Kiss Me A Lot? Nick Cave warbling The Bullfighter Dies?

I love Morrissey more than the next guy, but the fact remains that both Nick and Tom have managed to have long, weird, respectable careers
without really committing any major missteps. Rare, that. Those two have something that Morrissey was born without. Humility, and the will to experiment outside of their comfort zones without seeming to give a single solitary f*** about anyone's opinion. Yet they still receive near universal praise, and craft art that comes from a place of authenticity, without ever pandering to any one demographic.

The legend dims with too much time spent courting the spotlight, and pandering to the people, and desperation kicks in. never a good look. Moz should learn that.

They both leave me incredibly cold. Sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

Leonard Cohen on the other hand...

Dear Anon,

oh 'you're SO entertaining....and amusing...' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adPSreVU6yI :straightface:

Oh God, that is dreadful. I always wondered what Morrissey liked about this creep. I question his taste of music: Jobriath, those old British singers of the 60's, New York Dolls. Also his taste for feminist authors. Why, why, why? I tried to read Nancy Friday, I had to chuck the book after just 10 pages. Nothing sensational, nothing I had not known before.

Re: Morrissey: criticisms of debut novel are 'an attack against me'

Yeah, totally. Like that one broad, Charlotte or whatever, who couldn't grasp the "wildflower" point about "bluebells" and her web page said she wrote a poem about a "wildflower." I'm sad I haven't read it yet, but I know it's good anyway.

GO MOZ, KEEP TELLING OFF THE JOURNALISTS WHO TALK POOP, AND KEEP CREATING YOUR AWESOME WORK.

THANK YOU MY HERO. :)

some of those reviews sure were attacks. like it or hate it some of the reviews did not do a good job of reviewing

as maddening midnight church bells provided their harmonized soothing dullness, asking only that we remember with kindness.-". I

midnight church bells-as opposed to mid afternoon church bells-provided their harmonized SOOTHING DULLNESS-dullness is soothing? you dont say-. askin only-only lols i guess they could have asked for a tenner as well-that we remember with kindness? bells ask people for kindness by being soothingly dull?

no surprise the good reviewer found the book totally incoherent.

Is this you little monkey?
“Whoever put the pain in painting had also put the fun in funeral.”
Could such a sentence have been taken from a shitty book?
You must be something like an orangutan not to notice that it couldn't have been.

LOL quoting the moz book is the worse way to defend him.
'boring harmonized midnight bells beg us for kindness' wtf? specially when its not supposed to be surreal its about a gay ghost with a gift to grab guys gonads....... what a mess moz made of this book thing.

They both leave me incredibly cold. Sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

Leonard Cohen on the other hand...

I think that Waits and Cave are already canonized alongside Cohen. Unfortunately, I think Morrissey is damaging his chances and reputation lately.
I can certainly respect an artist for their place in history without enjoying their music. Dylan for example- I can't stand the fellow,
but he's made his permanent mark and deserves a bit of reverence. Same with the Beatles. They are awful, but no denying their cultural impact.

Not surprising really. Moz has never taken criticism well, which is fair enough when there are very mixed views on something, but it's hard to take his rather adolescent "you just don't understand me" schtick seriously on this one seeing that most people agreed the book was shit and he's failed to address the valid stylistic criticisms a lot of people gave.

Is this you little monkey?
“Whoever put the pain in painting had also put the fun in funeral.”
Could such a sentence have been taken from a shitty book?
You must be something like an orangutan not to notice that it couldn't have been.

Jesus Christ your posts are embarrassing to read. 'Little monkey'? Seriously?

I still say this book would make a great movie. Flesh out the characters maybe and simplify the dialogue (haven't read it). Period 70s look, "Virgin Suicides", but glam/metalloid men instead. "Breaking Away" meets "Macbeth". Go project.

LOL quoting the moz book is the worse way to defend him.
'boring harmonized midnight bells beg us for kindness' wtf? specially when its not supposed to be surreal its about a gay ghost with a gift to grab guys gonads....... what a mess moz made of this book thing.

If you give up drugs I will buy you a banana... little monkey darling!
Still you can't catch up with reading... Keep trying

Not surprising really. Moz has never taken criticism well, which is fair enough when there are very mixed views on something, but it's hard to take his rather adolescent "you just don't understand me" schtick seriously on this one seeing that most people agreed the book was shit and he's failed to address the valid stylistic criticisms a lot of people gave.

Jesus Christ your posts are embarrassing to read. 'Little monkey'? Seriously?

Would you like the word "ape"? I am just being kind to a brain dead bastard...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom