Morrissey continues to be the ‘George Lucas’ of pop

modrevolve

Standard Model
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/morrissey-kill-uncle-reissue/

Morrissey continues to be the ‘George Lucas’ of pop by fiddling with releases when the opportunity arises to reissue them. Following on from last year’s Viva Hate travesty, 18 April sees the reissue of his disappointing second album, 1991′s Kill Uncle.

The front cover has been replaced entirely by the faux-sixties creation pictured above, and two B-sides have been added in the shape of Pashernate Love and East West. What was the last track of the album – There’s A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends – is replaced by a previously unreleased ‘live in the studio’ version.

The album has been remastered by Bill Inglot and is available as a CD in a gatefold card wallet or 2LP gatefold vinyl.

For reasons unknown, Morrissey has also chosen to reissue his 1989 Last Of The International Playboys single on the same day as Kill Uncle. It boasts another new cover, featuring Rick Astley, no less, and will be available on CD single and various other formats, backed with new live tracks recorded at the BBC.

I'm hoping that, like Lucas, eventually Morrissey will get bored and sell the rights to his back catalogue to Disney, so someone else can have a go at some proper reissues.

I'm hoping that, like Lucas, eventually Morrissey will get bored and sell the rights to his back catalogue to Disney, so someone else can have a go at some proper reissues.

Bona Drag On Ice would be lovely.

whatever happened to all the intelligent posts I used to read on this site ?

Well, to be fair to myself, I was actually referring to the famously bad Star Wars Christmas special that Lucas pretends didn't happen...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to know his reasoning for this bizarre revisionism, as some of the choices seem arbitrary at best.

Looking at the 'new' tracklisting reminds me of the tinkering with the Southpaw & Maladjusted reissues, though in this instance not as extreme.

• Removing 'Asian Rut' from the running order and re-inserting it after 'King Leer'.
  • The insertion of b-sides slap bang in the middle of the album.
  • The swapping round of the last two tracks (a la 'Sorrow Will Come' & 'Satan Rejected My Soul')

At least he hasn't actively excised any tracks like he did with Viva Hate & Maladjusted (though you could argue the point with an 'alternative' version of 'There Is A Place...')

One can only assume he thinks he's improving upon the original, but it just seems so random.

In any case, you still have the original, and I will probably end up getting it at some point to see what the remastered tracks sound like. New cover is very wrong though.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair to myself, I was actually referring to the famously bad Star Wars Christmas special that Lucas pretends didn't happen...

This!

I saw an Ewok movie as a kid. It was cheestastic.
I never watched this one.

He'd only truly fill George Lucas shoes if he made previous versions unavailable.
[The remastered being the only dvd version ticks me off.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom