Morrissey concert virgin

Debwilts

Miss Oyti Toyti
Hi guys, sooooo looking forward to my first ever Morrissey concert. Going to Glasgow this Saturday :hearteyes: According to the ticket, the venue opens at 6.30 - can I ask you seasoned concert goers what's a good time to get there? What time do you think Moz will be taking to the stage? Any good tips for an inexperienced concert goer? Thank you x

Hi guys, sooooo looking forward to my first ever Morrissey concert. Going to Glasgow this Saturday :hearteyes: According to the ticket, the venue opens at 6.30 - can I ask you seasoned concert goers what's a good time to get there? What time do you think Moz will be taking to the stage? Any good tips for an inexperienced concert goer? Thank you x
projector videos start playing for about an hour so expect moz to come on at 8.

Ah great thank you.. Just been reading that there generally isn't a support at his concerts so videos it is then until he arrives on stage!

I’ll probably get slated for this... but the pre-concert video is great in my opinion, *especially* the first time. Some brilliant songs, interesting clips, and a weird/wonderful insight into what makes Morrissey tick! Treat it as part of the overall gig experience... I’d rather that than a warm up act any day!

I’ll probably get slated for this... but the pre-concert video is great in my opinion, *especially* the first time. Some brilliant songs, interesting clips, and a weird/wonderful insight into what makes Morrissey tick! Treat it as part of the overall gig experience... I’d rather that than a warm up act any day!
It could be worse. She could've lost her virginity to Kristeen Young.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to the whole experience and know I'll enjoy the video as part of the build up, particularly as I'm fairly new to Morrissey solo (Smiths fan for years but a relatively recent convert to the mighty Moz) and it's my first Morrissey concert, so I'll be really excited. Is the accompanying music The Smiths or different stuff that's influenced him?

Expect Ramones, Dolls, Aznavour, James Baldwin, Mrs Shufflewick (erm, a *real* treat!!!), PETA... lots of inspirations and interests!

Enjoy the show

Can’t second this enough if it’s your first time. No smiths but lots of music film featuring comedians actors authors etcs. The clip of the spotlight closing in the woman on stage makes me think of Jackie now. That’s another thing, if you see a clip and want to know what it or is from ask as there’s people who know all of them. Obviously not me but people

Loved the gay video when played in US - plenty of shocked people at seeing a bare arse.

Can’t second this enough if it’s your first time. No smiths but lots of music film featuring comedians actors authors etcs. The clip of the spotlight closing in the woman on stage makes me think of Jackie now. That’s another thing, if you see a clip and want to know what it or is from ask as there’s people who know all of them. Obviously not me but people
Yes some very knowledgeable folks on here. Morrissey is definitely improving my cultural general knowledge. Watched 'Hell' ("with Guillame Canet") recently - excellent, dark, superbly acted film!

Loved the gay video when played in US - plenty of shocked people at seeing a bare arse.

That was the Warhol stuff right. This is an aside but I wonder if this will change, the rarity of exposure to male nudity and America’s shock towards it, with Netflix and the like taking over. Since Netflix isn’t really public tv they don’t have any rating system for there original content and a lot of there new television shows have a lot of male nudity. Altered carbon had a bunch of penis in it and easy had one episode that I physically flinched at when his penis came on the screen (it was large and sudden)

I wanted to watch that but my library doesn't have it. Neither does my buddy who records millions of French films (they mostly suck.) I will point out that you will not enjoy the animal torture videos unless you are sadistic. Hopefully you're vegan.

#GoMozGo

Yes some very knowledgeable folks on here. Morrissey is definitely improving my cultural general knowledge. Watched 'Hell' ("with Guillame Canet") recently - excellent, dark, superbly acted film!

According to the ticket, the venue opens at 6.30 - can I ask you seasoned concert goers what's a good time to get there? What time do you think Moz will be taking to the stage? Any good tips for an inexperienced concert goer? Thank you x

What time you want to get there, is really dependant on how close to the front you want to get (presuming you have a standing ticket). If you don't mind being a couple of rows back, just queue an hour or two before doors open, and head immediately for the side once you get in. If you want to get onto the barrier to get a handshake, unfortunately you are going to have to queue from crazy o'clock in the morning - people normally start around 3am. I wouldn't bother for your first show though! It's also a big venue, so you might be lucky if you aim for one of the sides.

Only other tips would be to avoid being right in the centre, as that's usually where the biggest crush and the most amount of assholes are (most people are decent, but there are always a few drunken louts at any show). And watch your head for crowd-surfers coming forward from the back to attempt stage invasions - this normally only happens on the last song or encore though - if you spot the bouncers moving towards you, duck and cover your head, as someone is probably about to land on you.

Lastly, a lot of people will be heading to this aftershow party following the gig - basically a club night with all or mostly Moz/Smiths tunes playing, so I'd recommend popping down if you can http://www.wegottickets.com/event/423115

Good luck!

What time you want to get there, is really dependant on how close to the front you want to get (presuming you have a standing ticket). If you don't mind being a couple of rows back, just queue an hour or two before doors open, and head immediately for the side once you get in. If you want to get onto the barrier to get a handshake, unfortunately you are going to have to queue from crazy o'clock in the morning - people normally start around 3am. I wouldn't bother for your first show though! It's also a big venue, so you might be lucky if you aim for one of the sides.

Only other tips would be to avoid being right in the centre, as that's usually where the biggest crush and the most amount of assholes are (most people are decent, but there are always a few drunken louts at any show). And watch your head for crowd-surfers coming forward from the back to attempt stage invasions - this normally only happens on the last song or encore though - if you spot the bouncers moving towards you, duck and cover your head, as someone is probably about to land on you.

Lastly, a lot of people will be heading to this aftershow party following the gig - basically a club night with all or mostly Moz/Smiths tunes playing, so I'd recommend popping down if you can http://www.wegottickets.com/event/423115

Good luck!
Stuff like this makes me proud to be a Moz fan, the whole sprit can be toxic, but by gosh, they're are some good people about.

Good luck!
Wow thanks so much for taking the time to give me all this great advice - really useful stuff. Of course I’d love to be right at the front within touching distance but I’m not prepared to start queuing at the crack of sparrows! Maybe one summer’s day in a warmer climate than Scotland... Really wish I could make the after-show party but I’m travelling back home to England afterwards. Thanks again

I wanted to watch that but my library doesn't have it. Neither does my buddy who records millions of French films (they mostly suck.) I will point out that you will not enjoy the animal torture videos unless you are sadistic. Hopefully you're vegan.

#GoMozGo
Will definitely NOT enjoy seeing animal torture videos...I’m not vegan (yet) but loved seeing on the SEC Hydro website that it will only be serving vegan food ‘at the request of the artist’

Hope you enjoy your first show!

Many (but not all!) of the songs will be from his most recent album, but there are usually about 2-3 Smiths songs and earlier solo songs in the setlist also. You can look up recent setlists on here if you want an idea of what might be performed, OR you can be surprised. But every show is a surprise. Despite the complaints about the setlist remaining unchanged for many years, it's always possible that there will be surprises of songs rarely played or even never performed before. And there's also the changes in lyrics and improvised banter/speeches between songs. Every show is unique and it's impossible to predict exactly what may happen!

As others said, if you want to be nearer to the front, it's good to line up earlier. Even if you're not up for queuing up super early to be in the first row or two, you could still arrive and queue a few hours earlier. I've always met nice people while waiting in line since there's usually nothing better to do than talk to the people around you. And it's customary for people to hold your spot in line if you need to go to the bathroom, get something from your car, etc.

In my experience of shows in the past year, there is about 45 minutes-1 hour of pre-show videos that start around 8pm and Morrissey takes stage around 9:00-9:15.

Back
Top Bottom