Morrissey comes in at #8 on NME's Ultimate Icon poll

Alex Turner as an icon sounds like a joke but Kurt Cobain an icon? obviously YES. I'm not a Nirvana fan but there is no doubt that he was/still is a big icon for a lot of people. A whole generation was inspired by him.

Some people of a generation were. I think Nirvana were massively over rated and effectively a poor man's Pixies but as one of their albums was massive and he shot himself dead he'll always retain a mythical status that was way above his talent so he's always going to be in lists like this.

I think Alex Turner is an excellent song writer but to be classed as an Icon you've got to have a cultural significance and in truth he's got practically none. I think Alex Turner has tons more talent than Kurt Cobain had but none of the enigma hence why one should be on the list and the other shouldn't.

Last edited:
What about Thome Yorke????? Clearly he should be ahead of either of the Oasis lads no?

Mike Thomas.

One thing that I'm always curious about regarding these lists (whatever the publication may be) -- why doesn't Mick Jagger usually feature on them?

At his peak (which was longer than most, I have to say) he was a snarling, feral, even sensitive, completely original frontman with lips that became the most famous logo in rock history.

I'm not campaigning for him to be up there or anything but what is it that he's missing that Lennon, Bowie etc. had that keeps him out of the running?

I'm a fan of early Stones. The period from 1963-1969 when their original frontman, Brian Jones, introduced unusual instruments to their music and taught Keith Richards how to play guitar. Not to mention the harmonica to Mick - which he used throughout the rest of the Stones career and in his solo music. In my opinion, Brian Jones should be on that list because he started the whole thing. Just listen to his slide guitar on "Little Red Roster"! What is sad is that he didn't write any of the songs (apart from "Ruby Tuesday" and even then Jagger and Richards got all the credit.) Having said all that, The Rolling Stones, during that period, produced some of the greatest rock and roll songs in history. Most of what they put out after 1969 is easily forgotten. The LP, 'Some Girls", has a few good songs and then it's hit or miss. The reason they have lasted for 50 years is because of their early songs. So, yes, Jagger should be on that list. So should McCartney and Joplin (not Winehouse!) for that matter. What it boils down to is that, really, these lists mean absolutely nothing. Especially from the NME. I'm glad Morrissey is on it, but he should have come in at least 3rd or 4th. Talk about words so easily thrown around...'Icon" is certainly one of them these day!

Last edited:
Alex Turner is an undoubted icon. Of shit quiffs.

aturner_gl_27sep11_rex_b.jpg

Good shout on Brian Jones, but you got your dates a bit wrong. they did nothing good after 69? Sticky Fingers and Exile were in early 70s and generally considered to be 2 of their finest albums, indeed it was only really after Brian died that they found their classic Stones sound (although of course it was a continuation of the old Blues sound which they started with). Besides, Brian contributed almost nothing musically from about 66 onwards, he was too messed up. Culturally, he was a superstar and an icon of the time, but musically he didn't really do much at all (but you're right about him teaching Keith a few decent guitar licks!)
This is a typical NME list, not to be taken seriously. Alex Turner? Fine songwriter but not even all that influential to his generation, let alone for future ones. I'm sure Moz would be much higher up if it weren't for certain lawsuits in recent years! Then again, he probably couldn't care less these days about the NME, but then who does?!

i would say :

a.
frank sinatra ,elvis presley, miles davis, bob dylan, jim morrison, jimmi hendrix, mick jagger, john lennon, bob marley, david bowie, michael jackson

b.
chuck berry, james brown,, johny cash, frank zappa, bruce springsteen, madonna, kurt cobaim, bono

c.
lou reed, ian curtis, morrissey

d.
louis amstrong, eric clapton, neil young, patti smith, roger waters, thom york

i think it's important to define what we mean when saying 'icon'.
i tried to think not of the most famous or the ones that are considered to be the best in their category, but tried more to 'feel' the ones that are - in a way- globaly accepted as remarkable and one of a kind, artits who are in an uncertain but at the same moment obvious way the most important.

of course the list i thought of is not of artists of my favour , but tried to be as objective as i could .

anyway what is considered to be important many times is being defined by parametres that are irrelevant to the field .
and no matter my ' true' and endless love and passion , i never could say that morrissey is an icon of the first category, which i really feel is good. i mean there is no such importance 'within' the obvious.(elvis or bowie)

Amy Winehouse above morrissey??!!! Strange if she was alive today would she make the top 10??

Good question, answer is 'probably not'

If John Lennon was alive would he be at no.1?

Everyone says the NME's opinion doesn't count, how about we do our own icon poll?

Here's my quick Top Ten:

1. Morrissey
2. John Lennon
3. Freddie Mercury
4. Keith Richard
5. Elvis Presley
6. Paul Weller
7. David Bowie
8. Johnny Cash
9. Lou Reed
10. Dave Grohl

Last edited:
Hmmm, for me, something like:

1. Morrissey
2. John Lennon
3. Mick Jagger
4. Jim Morrison
5. Elvis Presley
6. Bob Dylan
7. Johnny Rotten
8. Joe Strummer
9. David Bowie
10. Keith Richards

DEFINITELY NOT ICONS (MAYBE ONLY IN ENGLAND AND NOWHERE ELSE):
LIAM AND NOEL GALLAGER (BEATLES-SMITHS WANNABES)
AMY WINEHOUSE (NO COMMENT)
AND DEFINITELY, ALEX TURNER! NOT AN ICON (NOT EVEN CLOSE!) (STONES-SMITHS WANNABES)
look at the names of the REAL ICONS:
LENNON
HENDRIX
COBAIN
CURTIS
BOWIE
MORRISSEY
these are REAL ICONS. CRAPPY LIST INDEED.

1. Elvis
2. Lennon
3. Jagger
4. Dylan
5. Daltrey
6. Bowie
7. Morrison
8. Knopfler
9. Jackson
10. Morrissey

Liam Gallagher above Morrissey and Bowie??!
Horrible, horrible, horrible... oh NME, so much to answer for.

'and I tought my jokes were bad'
-The Joker

At last michael jackson want in this list. Could use some prince though

Prince is an ass. A musical genius, yes. But an ass, none the less. You can't even find a video of his recorded music on YouTube. He must have his minions reporting copyright violations all day long. He's an out of touch control freak, imo.

Prince is an ass. A musical genius, yes. But an ass, none the less. You can't even find a video of his recorded music on YouTube. He must have his minions reporting copyright violations all day long. He's an out of touch control freak, imo.

Maybe, but we could argue that he's more iconic than half the people on the list. But we could do that for many others. winehouse is the clear violation of the list. I do find it funny that death instantly raises your legend. Whether pedophile or junkie. Appreciating talent its one thing but honoring these people who ruined their careers, lives, etc through drug abuse and other vices kills me. One minute she's a disgusting crack smoking lady. Next she's saint amy. Excuse the rant. I may have had a few pints too many.

Elvis Presley should have topped the list, the Gallagher bro's are so overrated, and Amy Whi.Cobain&Hendrix are on the list cause
of the 'mythical dead at same age'

Jeff Buckley is missing so is Streisand

List are always personal, even in a magazine

Lots say that about Morrissey [Prince is an ...] cause of his private hidden personal life

He is definately a genius, and would be on the list IMHO

as for the youtube that's bullocks, I j addded ' when doves cry' on my Facebook not that long ago

no offence

Should we be that surprised? a list gathered from the votes of people who read the nme? these are the dying days

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom