Morrissey comes in at #8 on NME's Ultimate Icon poll

So John Lennon is at Number One and a John Lennon parody is at Number Two. I'm a little perlexed as to why Alex Turner and Amy Winehouse are in there at all.

If I were Morrissey I would be offended to be on this list.

So John Lennon is at Number One and a John Lennon parody is at Number Two. I'm a little perlexed as to why Alex Turner and Amy Winehouse are in there at all.

If I were Morrissey I would be offended to be on this list.

No doubt he is. :)

What really gets me here is Liam Gallagher at 2. Who the F regards LG as an icon? Icon for what? Offensive stupidity? He's Shane MacGowan minus the charm, intelligence and courage. The Paul Gascoigne of rock. And that's from someone who actually likes him, AND his music. But icon? Give me a break.

John Lennon named as NME's Ultimate Icon - NME.com
Beatles mans beats out David Bowie, Alex Turner and Liam Gallagher to take the crown

Top 10:

1. John Lennon
2. Liam Gallagher
3. David Bowie
4. Alex Turner
5. Kurt Cobain
6. Amy Winehouse
7. Jimi Hendrix
8. Morrissey
9. Noel Gallagher
10. Ian Curtis

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I'm with the anonymous guy above ^

Arctic Monkeys singer. Wont be on any list in another 10 years time.....

Yeah...who is Alex Turner??? I'm sorry. I have to question 2,4,5, and 6. None of those people are ICONS. John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, and Morrissey - absolutely. They paved the way for little shits like Liam Gallagher. As always the NME has it all wrong...

Alex who? Pointless poll from a painfully out of touch so-called music magazine.

I think almost all haters, worshippers and the indifferent alike would still agree that Cobain is an icon.
The rest of the numbers you cited are certainly arguable.

Yeah...who is Alex Turner??? I'm sorry. I have to question 2,4,5, and 6. None of those people are ICONS. John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, and Morrissey - absolutely. They paved the way for little shits like Liam Gallagher. As always the NME has it all wrong...

I think almost all haters, worshippers and the indifferent alike would still agree that Cobain is an icon.
The rest of the numbers you cited are certainly arguable.

Fair point. He did start the Grunge movement and is now part of the 27 club.

Id of thought that morrissey would of been at number 1 surley!!!
And were is kristeen young and patti smith who should be at number 2 and 3 !

Who on earth is alex tuner? :confused:

Thought sid vicious might of been in at number 4 and john lydon aka jonny rotten at number 5 !
But I can understand why Ian curtis and amy winehouse made it onto the list!
Think amy wine house definitly deserves to be on the list of icons, she was a true genuis and role model ect, unfortunatly she was so gifted that she turned to the bottle ! R.I.P !

Liam gallager deserves to be on the list aswell , oasis are fantastic live in concert!
:)

Think amy wine house definitly deserves to be on the list of icons, she was a true genuis and role model ect, unfortunatly she was so gifted that she turned to the bottle ! R.I.P !

Liam gallager deserves to be on the list aswell , oasis are fantastic live in concert!
:)

Oh, no, no, no (they don't!) What Amy Winehouse did had already been done.

Well I have a soft spot for amy winehouse and Ian curtis, I can empathize with them and there addiction to drink!
It can be an absolute nightmare to get alcohol under control if you allow these things to run amok!
Alcoholisim Is a very very serious illness and people who become alcohol dependant need a little bit of kindness and TLC and a great deal of understanding ect! :)
Think the root at all alcohlisim in the begining is emotional problems!

Anyways enough of my side tracking, sorry, I know the topic is about the list of icons!

In fact upon reflection I feel that in joint first place should be morrissey, kristeen young and patti smith !
Its difficult to seperate there greatness and importance, and so id put all 3 in first place! :)

Well im off now, time for a little glass of wine! :)

Good evening monte carlo, welcome to the isle of "woman" - morrissey ! :)

Amy winehouse certainly not. granted, she is talented, what exactly did she inspire? I certainly think that her and alex turner are premature. Especially undeserved in front of moz and just after bowie. Also, the gallagher bros I feel should be included together.

Last edited:
One thing that I'm always curious about regarding these lists (whatever the publication may be) -- why doesn't Mick Jagger usually feature on them?

At his peak (which was longer than most, I have to say) he was a snarling, feral, even sensitive, completely original frontman with lips that became the most famous logo in rock history.

I'm not campaigning for him to be up there or anything but what is it that he's missing that Lennon, Bowie etc. had that keeps him out of the running?

Agreed. I think the Gallagher Bros would've been fine at #9 or 10.

Surely a minimum requirement for icon status is that the person is recognizable by any popular music fan around the world -- at least by face. Alex Turner and Winehouse are light years from that.

Amy winehouse certainly not. granted, she is talented, what exactly did she inspire? I certainly think that her and alex turner are premature. Especially undeserved in front of moz and just after bowie. Also, the gallagher bros I feel should be included together.

Alex Turner as an icon sounds like a joke but Kurt Cobain an icon? obviously YES. I'm not a Nirvana fan but there is no doubt that he was/still is a big icon for a lot of people. A whole generation was inspired by him.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom