Morrissey Central: "New Morrissey Album" - 'I Am Not A Dog On A Chain' (November 28, 2019)

unnamed-1_kyednx.jpg

Morrissey's new studio album, I Am Not A Dog On A Chain, is scheduled for March 2020 release by BMG. The album was recorded in St-remy, France, with producer Joe Chiccarelli. The eleven tracks are:

Jim Jim Falls
Love Is On Its Way Out
Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
What Kind Of People Live In These Houses?
Knockabout World
Darling, I Hug A Pillow
Once I Saw The River Clean
The Truth About Ruth
The Secret Of Music
My Hurling Days Are Done

Morrissey has described I Am Not A Dog On A Chain as:

" … the very best of me … too good to be true … too true to be considered good … ", and concludes Morrissey's contract with BMG Records.

The first single is "Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?", which features vocals by Thelma Houston. The B-side is "Rainbow Valley", a cover of the UK hit by The Love Affair.

BMG will re-issue and re-master several Morrissey albums in 2020, with updated artwork and sleeve notes. These albums are: Southpaw Grammar, Maladjusted, You Are The Quarry, Ringleader Of The Tormentors, Years Of Refusal, Live At The Hollwood Bowl.

Morrissey has so far achieved 24 Top Ten albums in the UK - 14 solo, 10 with The Smiths. His highest U.S. chart position was this year with "California Son" at number 7.

This information provided by Rod Taylor.

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/new-morrissey-album

The Secret Of Music mystery solved.
Rainbow Valley appears again.
Reissues could be promising.
Is that a Loyd Grossman reference in the tracklist!?
Regards,
FWD.

Media coverage:

I reckon he's had a massive fallout with BMG - hence the embarrassing title and the end of his contract. It smacks of that habitual whinge of his about being made to perform/conform. I'm betting that title is a personal message for Korda and Co. I am not hopeful about the quality of something being dashed off in a fit of pique to fulfil his contract obligations. We will see.

PREDICTION - 'My Hurling Days are Done' will be about a recovering alcoholic who is sick of spending his days on the bathroom floor, cradling his toilet bowl and hurling his guts up. :sick:

I reckon he's had a massive fallout with BMG - hence the embarrassing title and the end of his contract. It smacks of that habitual whinge of his about being made to perform/conform. I'm betting that title is a personal message for Korda and Co. I am not hopeful about the quality of something being dashed off in a fit of pique to fulfil his contract obligations. We will see.
Ridiculous, he's been talking about this album for a year now. It certainly wasn't rushed in any way, but planned as a follow-up to LiHS from the start.
Moz is obviously very proud of it and couldn't wait for it to be released. BMG obviously didn't want to rush things as it would be commercially unwise to release it in the same year as CS.

Now the contract is up, but it can always be renewed or otherwise Moz can release future releases elwewhere.
Just the fact that we get 3 Moz-albums in 3 years shows BMG absolutely have faith in this relationship.
Certainly the best relationship he's had with a label since the Sanctuary/Attack-days.

I’m assuming that releasing the reissues was part of bmgs idea and that it’s been in the works for a while so I don’t morrisseys suddenly deciding anything. If ringleader gets a remaster I will absolutely buy that as it’s super over due. Can’t imagine what updated artwork will be

Ridiculous, he's been talking about this album for a year now. It certainly wasn't rushed in any way, but planned as a follow-up to LiHS from the start.
Moz is obviously very proud of it and couldn't wait for it to be released. BMG obviously didn't want to rush things as it would be commercially unwise to release it in the same year as CS.

Now the contract is up, but it can always be renewed or otherwise Moz can release future releases elwewhere.
Just the fact that we get 3 Moz-albums in 3 years shows BMG absolutely have faith in this relationship.
Certainly the best relationship he's had with a label since the Sanctuary/Attack-days.
It was supposed to be a 'long term' relationship. If they have so much faith in him, why would they be letting him go? Whether the album was planned in advance is neither here nor there. I'm just saying, that title sounds very much like a jibe at his employers. It's not like he doesn't have form for it.

Do we think the above is the cover?

When reading the song titles it struck me the 'similarity' in I Am Not A Dog On A Chain and previous title I Am Not A Man. Maybe it's a follow up!

It was supposed to be a 'long term' relationship. If they have so much faith in him, why would they be letting him go? Whether the album was planned in advance is neither here nor there. I'm just saying, that title sounds very much like a jibe at his employers. It's not like he doesn't have form for it.
I'm just checking each track name for an anagram of "I hate the Guardian"

Did this news of him working on an album slip by the folks on this site? I don't really remember this happening before. Usually someone spots him or speaks about the studio time. Wonder how this escaped everyone? Did it?
Everyone knew that Morrissey had this album recorded and ready for release as he has mentioned this a couple of times. Do what please try to keep up!!

I thought it was a two-album-deal to begin with. That contract is up. That's all. No word on a fall-out at this point at all.
I don't expect the title to be a jibe at BMG. The album was recorded early this year.
If anything it is aimed at his detractors. The press and those ex-fans who expected and expect him to act exactly how they would like to see him act.

I thought it was a two-album-deal to begin with. That contract is up. That's all. No word on a fall-out at this point at all.
I don't expect the title to be a jibe at BMG. The album was recorded early this year.
If anything it is aimed at his detractors. The press and those ex-fans who expected and expect him to act exactly how they would like to see him act.

Whereas as I, Thewlis, have no expectations and continue to make bold assumptions based on nada.

Well, you may of course be right. That's just my interpretation. The 'dog on a chain' image suggests someone who is tied (eg to a contract), rather than just referencing people who don't like him. To me it has more than a familiar whiff of 'Whinging Revisited.'

Last edited:

How is it ridiculous for someone to claim that Morrissey has fallen out with a record company? Has Morrissey never fallen out with a record company before?

Well, you may of course be right. That's just my interpretation. The 'dog on a chain' image suggests someone who is tied (eg to a contract), rather than just referencing people who don't like him. To me it has more than a familiar whiff of 'Whinging Revisited.'

*whingeing - sorry had to be done.

I caved & mentioned him in a DM to a friend of mine in the music industry. He was was not hopeful - said the music wasn't good enough, M was surrounded by enablers & the brand was toxic. But he said that he'd probably take a chance on M anyway because you never know with him.

Fine by me, however - is Morrissey's comment regarding California Son’s US chart position accurate?

I see you're still being silly...back in June 2019, you commented on CS chart position, (which you seemed then, & still seem to be, obsessed with), together with the various statements made on 'Central'...at that time you had the common sense to realise "in fairness" that it was unlikely that Moz himself had made the comment, or written the statement. I'll dig it out for you if you wish?

If you prefer to believe the #95 position instead of the #7 position, then fine. Go away & smile to yourself smugly & feel that sense of achievement that you are clearly looking for.

The facts are, however, (& I know you're not keen on facts) that both are documented, so to my mind both are correct, when put into correct context (I know you don't like context either), otherwise someone would be suing someone else for stating a falsehood.

Can you really see Moz making edits on his website, FFS? I'm sure he has much better things to do with his time as he's a world famous mega mega star, or have you forgotten?

I caved & mentioned him in a DM to a friend of mine in the music industry. He was was not hopeful - said the music wasn't good enough, M was surrounded by enablers & the brand was toxic. But he said that he'd probably take a chance on M anyway because you never know with him.

Yawn...yes of course you did...oh deluded one.
Just out of interest though, what did the toilet attendant have to say, actually?

I am sure when info was first released a few months back it said the new album would have 12 tracks, pity a song has dropped off planned release.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom